• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Payrolls...Red Sox are ruining baseball

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best thing about the Red Sox having the top 5 highest payrolls annually is when they annually piss down their own legs, shit then sit on it

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leave me out of all the issues y'all have in the AL Central thread. I did nothing to hack your account, but your IP number is 1.234.567.890.123 just so you know what to look for later.
I was always led to believe the IP number was 1? And #2 was......

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best thing about the Red Sox having the top 5 highest payrolls annually is when they annually piss down their own legs, shit then sit on it

You mean like the Indians come October?

Maybe someday you'll see a WS win.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean like the Indians come October?

Maybe someday you'll see a WS win.

He would be an expert. He saw his team do it in game 7.

Choke city

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it will never happen, but I wish that baseball would institute a salary cap. I think they should include a minimum too.
It cannot be considered a competitive league when you have a team with a $235 million payroll playing a team with a $67 million payroll. That's a difference of $168 million. That's more than the Yankees total payroll.
I'd like to see a minimum of $80 million and a max of $150 million. Your top teams would still have an advantage, but at least the teams could be close.
Baseball $/$ is the most competitive sport in NA. Hockey is the only one that'd come close, imo. Teams with average payrolls win it plenty of times. Is it annoying a team can spend 250 while another doesn't even attempt to cross 125? Yeah, it is. Saying MLB isn't competitive isn't really based on anything besides the lack of a cap. The NFL is low-key very NBA-like and nobody bats an eye-lash because it's perceived to have parity when it actually doesn't at all. All joking aside, the way the luxury tax has worked in recent years, it looks less permeable than people like to let on.

Not even the Mariners rival the ineptness of the expansion-era Browns.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball $/$ is the most competitive sport in NA. Hockey is the only one that'd come close, imo. Teams with average payrolls win it plenty of times. Is it annoying a team can spend 250 while another doesn't even attempt to cross 125? Yeah, it is. Saying MLB isn't competitive isn't really based on anything besides the lack of a cap. The NFL is low-key very NBA-like and nobody bats an eye-lash because it's perceived to have parity when it actually doesn't at all. All joking aside, the way the luxury tax has worked in recent years, it looks less permeable than people like to let on.

Not even the Mariners rival the ineptness of the expansion-era Browns.
While some of what you say is true. Based off of nothing but salary, we can accurately guess who most of the playoff teams will be each year. Last year in the NL, 3/5 were in the top 5 of payroll. In the AL, 3/5 were in the top 11 of payroll. Sure, in baseball a low payroll can and does make the playoffs each year. It just doesn't happen as much as high payroll teams. In 2016 9/10 playoff teams were in the top 14 in payroll.
I would feel very confident making a bet that at least 3 of the top 5 payroll teams make the playoffs and no more than 1 of the bottom 5 payroll teams make the playoffs. That is without looking at the rosters, injuries or anything other than payroll.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine with no salary cap. Might even prefer it, actually.

I don't have the inclination to do it any more, but I used to do a parity check across sports to see how many different teams make the playoffs/win championships and MLB always had the most parity.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine with no salary cap. Might even prefer it, actually.

I don't have the inclination to do it any more, but I used to do a parity check across sports to see how many different teams make the playoffs/win championships and MLB always had the most parity.
As a red sox fan i approve of this message:suds:

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a red sox fan i approve of this message:suds:

One of the reasons I like it is because I love underdogs.

Two years ago, when the Indians swept the Red Sox out of the playoffs in the first round and retired that roided-up, bedazzled freak, it felt that much better knowing the Sox had spent so much more cash on their shitbox team.

fuck-fuck-off-funny-gif-hangover-fa_zps274e8f81.gif~c200

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the reasons I like it is because I love underdogs.

Two years ago, when the Indians swept the Red Sox out of the playoffs in the first round and retired that roided-up, bedazzled freak, it felt that much better knowing the Sox had spent so much more cash on their shitbox team.

fuck-fuck-off-funny-gif-hangover-fa_zps274e8f81.gif~c200
Feeling the love Slink!

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those last 2 posts are GAF.
Only peopleschicken and the 2 shine box boys...iffy and handicappers would like.