• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pats replace Cooks

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love hearing Pats fans try to tell Eagles fans what Jordan Matthews can and can't do. LOL.

Jordan Matthews is a really frustrating player as a fan. He likes to tell everyone he is the nephew of Jerry Rice and that he has a similar passion for the game. He works his ass off, stays after practice to catch balls, hustles like crazy...but simply can't catch footballs very well. He drops a lot of passes in key moments.

He primarily had success in the slot as a bigger slot target. He gets open with smart route running and using his height to post up nickel backs, not really with quickness or speed. He is not a good outside receiver because he is simply not very fast and doesn't pose a deep threat. Philly tried it, it didn't work. He also lacks the physicality to win jump balls when going against bigger boundary corners outside, because he is a tall, thinner guy without strong hands.

Carson Wentz liked him as a person, he is an OK player and could be a decent #3 receiver. But that's what he is, a #3 target.

So Patriots fans only watch current Pats players and no nothing about other players? We can't watch other players and have an opinion on them?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Patriots fans only watch current Pats players and no nothing about other players? We can't watch other players and have an opinion on them?

Ignore him... like most Eagles fans they just won a Super Bowl and now proceed to know everything about the game. Any player their acquire is a God who will likely be a future HOF while every player they let go or couldn't sign is not that great and no other system can make him work. I was called a sore loser and laughed at by a couple Eagles fans after I said the Bennett signing is not crazy good given penalties and the fact he's no better than Vernon who had a little down year because the Eagles staff cycles him so much in addition to him being 33 with a TON of snaps on his belt. Least they've shut up after the possible suspension/indictment, lol.

Lot of Seattle fans went through this in 2013 FA/Draft as well, lol.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ignore him... like most Eagles fans they just won a Super Bowl and now proceed to know everything about the game. Any player their acquire is a God who will likely be a future HOF while every player they let go or couldn't sign is not that great and no other system can make him work. I was called a sore loser and laughed at by a couple Eagles fans after I said the Bennett signing is not crazy good given penalties and the fact he's no better than Vernon who had a little down year because the Eagles staff cycles him so much in addition to him being 33 with a TON of snaps on his belt. Least they've shut up after the possible suspension/indictment, lol.

Everything you said about Eagles and Seahawks fans is true for Pats fans also. They hail every signing as another B.B. act of genius, just prevail the latest Pats signings as proof.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything you said about Eagles and Seahawks fans is true for Pats fans also. They hail every signing as another B.B. act of genius, just prevail the latest Pats signings as proof.

Yah I'm sure there was also the same stupid level of arrogance and 'our farts don't stink' attitude in the mid 00s when Bill/Brady were first there, but that's 15+ years ago... there's an unprecedented level of success that Bill and Kraft have established for nearly 20 years. Outside of actually agreeing with a lot of their moves they've been there and proven it. I'm far more inclined to side with their fans who will probably also say it's a great move... because well.. history has shown that FO makes them.

I'm not going to believe all the hype around the Eagles and what their fans are saying because there's no proven track record of the current FO/coaching staff building continued success.

Point being, it's a little easier to stuff the arrogance from Pats fans than Eagles fans who are basically quoting every move as God tier at this point and acting like their franchise has been top dog for the last 15+ years.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah I'm sure there was also the same stupid level of arrogance and 'our farts don't stink' attitude in the mid 00s when Bill/Brady were first there, but that's 15+ years ago... there's an unprecedented level of success that Bill and Kraft have established for nearly 20 years. Outside of actually agreeing with a lot of their moves they've been there and proven it. I'm far more inclined to side with their fans who will probably also say it's a great move... because well.. history has shown that FO makes them.

I'm not going to believe all the hype around the Eagles and what their fans are saying because there's no proven track record of the current FO/coaching staff building continued success.

Point being, it's a little easier to stuff the arrogance from Pats fans than Eagles fans who are basically quoting every move as God tier at this point and acting like their franchise has been top dog for the last 15+ years.
:lol: I’ll combat that with all good things come to a end and I think we are going to witness that here shortly.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on Harold you're better then that. Many of us scratched our heads when he signed Britt and Patterson. Many wonder if they'll even make the team. But like Shark said BB does have a track record of getting the most out of players. The list is long and proven. Let's say when BB does make a questionable signing most Pat fans are optimistic. Now come draft day you'll see many of us question BBs picks and or trades. It's as sure the sun will rise somewhere tomorrow (maybe not in Seattle with all this rain).

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on Harold you're better then that. Many of us scratched our heads when he signed Britt and Patterson. Many wonder if they'll even make the team. But like Shark said BB does have a track record of getting the most out of players. The list is long and proven. Let's say when BB does make a questionable signing most Pat fans are optimistic. Now come draft day you'll see many of us question BBs picks and or trades. It's as sure the sun will rise somewhere tomorrow (maybe not in Seattle with all this rain).
Sure BB has a track record , but all good things come to a end and the end is coming. Also I'm sure you could find Eagles fans ( and also Seahawks fans) that quibble with decisions made by the brass.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that the 40 time is the end all be all of speed but Cooks ran a 4.33 and Matthews ran a 4.46. That is faster than I thought he would have run in Matthews when watching him in games but definitely not the burner to replace the deep part of the field.

I think it was a solid signing. I would say at this time though the WR core of the Patriots is an average group talent wise. Yes they know how to get the most out of the average talent because of Brady and the system, but just looking at the individual players it is Edelman being a good receiver and the rest a bunch of retreads from other teams.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure BB has a track record , but all good things come to a end and the end is coming. Also I'm sure you could find Eagles fans ( and also Seahawks fans) that quibble with decisions made by the brass.
We Pat fans can be pretty happy with the success of the past two decades if indeed the end is near? Near is a relative term. I feel NE fans will continue to enjoy success for the foreseeable future though. That doesn't mean a SB appearance every three years but hey things could be worse.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that the 40 time is the end all be all of speed but Cooks ran a 4.33 and Matthews ran a 4.46. That is faster than I thought he would have run in Matthews when watching him in games but definitely not the burner to replace the deep part of the field.

I think it was a solid signing. I would say at this time though the WR core of the Patriots is an average group talent wise. Yes they know how to get the most out of the average talent because of Brady and the system, but just looking at the individual players it is Edelman being a good receiver and the rest a bunch of retreads from other teams.
I'm not sure anyone could disagree except true haters. This has been true for Brady's career minus Moss. It's what also keeps them competitive year in and year out.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure anyone could disagree except true haters. This has been true for Brady's career minus Moss. It's what also keeps them competitive year in and year out.

I honestly like how they handle the WR position and can't believe more teams don't do it. The WR's in the NFL have been very overvalued in my opinion. They are a dependent position. They can only be as good as your QB can be. Look at Larry Fitzgerald. I think he is one of the most underrated WR's in NFL history. If he had even average QB play his entire career his numbers would rival some of the best to ever do it. He has just had terrible QB play for far too many years. Yes a great WR can help add a few more big plays to an offense per year but I could say the same about a RB yet they are not all that valued right now around the league. They are making a bit of a comeback lately but still not paid all that well.

So with the Pats they usually have 1 guy they pay decent money to at the WR position but the rest are no name guys that fit their system well. And when they get expensive they just find the next guy that can fit what they like for much cheaper. They let somebody else overpay for a WR. I honestly was not happy when the Broncos paid Emmanuel Sanders good money after paying Thomas as well. It especially didn't make sense when we have a QB like Siemian leading the team who is one of the worst QB's in the league. Just seems like wasted cap space.

So while the talent individually might not look great for the Pats at the WR position you know they will still get plenty of production out of the group. Brady can help cover up a lot of warts and WR is one of those. They can still have a top-10 offense year in and year out because they have a great system and a QB that operates it to perfection.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hrrmph.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All that may be true, but his evaluation of Matthews seems pretty spot-on to me.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No damn it!

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fucking Blair Walsh signing

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is also the question if he looks more connected with new team. That was a really nice TD. Cooks was good for the Pats but you need to consider age differences too. Hate this BS about the mysterious Brady routes.

They are basically short passes, to help the run game, and then solid 25-40 passess. Brady has never had the bomb. So they should not try that. Even with Gordon, they will be long slants and some burners to open up the defense. Sometimes veterans can be overwhelming. Happens in day to day life too.

Last edited: