• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pats claim WR Michael Floyd and work out Devin Hester

patspa

PATS SEEKING SEVEN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree 100%
March 8, 1993 for me.
But above all else, the person has to want to recover. Nobody can want it for them.

And congratulations on 46 years 356 days.

Yes agree also, my comment above was similar to myself 30 odd years ago. Started with the underage drinking and fines and 2 drunk driving accidents. That wasn't enough to stop me. It wasn't like you said till I wanted to stop or really needed to with alot to lose. And it wasn't from another stop, it was alcohol related and sort of comical(nothing alcohol related is comical).Lets get that straight, but it was in this situation to me which helped me realize enough was enough and i was at rock bottom. So lets hope this last incident helps Floyd realize his problem.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've had few days in here where I've walked over to the liquor cabinet.

All Good.

I dream about being able to consume in a controlled fashion daily.
But the truth is 1 is too many and 39 is not enough.

That said, I bought the wife a bottle of Four Roses last night, and made her a hot toddy for her cold.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes agree also, my comment above was similar to myself 30 odd years ago. Started with the underage drinking and fines and 2 drunk driving accidents. That wasn't enough to stop me. It wasn't like you said till I wanted to stop or really needed to with alot to lose. And it wasn't from another stop, it was alcohol related and sort of comical(nothing alcohol related is comical).Lets get that straight, but it was in this situation to me which helped me realize enough was enough and i was at rock bottom. So lets hope this last incident helps Floyd realize his problem.

Yes. For me it was waking up...excuse me, coming to, in jail.

Again.

Made the determination that I did not ever want to make news friends like that again.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not blaming anyone but him. The problem with addiction is that the person who's addicted needs more than a sponsor or a friend or a good buddy. He needs family that can be with him when the sponsor or others can't be. Addiction isn't an 8 hour job. It's a 24 hour< NEVR ENDING> problem. I will have been liquor free for 47 years come Jan.1. Every day is a challenge when I see the liquor .....Absolute, Jose Cuervo, Jack Daniels, Gentlerman Jack, Capt. Morgan, Bailey's...........I have an "A List" of liquor in my house.

Floyd has a problem and it appears to be pretty darn serious. If he doesn't have someone to go home to or with every night, he'll never be successful. The minute he's alone, he'll feel alone and the easiest way to find someone to be with is at the local bar.........If you've never dealt with the problem yourself or with someone you love, you don't have a clue as to how hard it is to get through every day.

Oh believe me I understand what he is going through. Plenty of family members who are alcoholics. My wife and I are both counselors so have had plenty of people dealing with addictions. And I get the fact that he needs those people around him. What I'm saying is you can encourage a person to surround themselves with those type of people but until they are absolutely wanting that kind of help not much you or family/friends can really do about it. And honestly I don't know what his family is like. That could be part of the problem is that those he should be able to turn to are the ones who got him involved in the 1st place. An NFL locker room isn't usually the best place to find sobriety either since that is what a lot of those players like to do with their time off. He is in a very difficult situation for sure and I am all for trying to get him the help he needs. I just question how much he wants it right now? None of us can fully know that without being close to him. I hope he wants it because he needs it before he destroys his life more or destroys the lives of others.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is definitely a start for sure and would show the courts something but my guess is the courts will say "you've done much of that in the past and it didn't do anything." Really for Floyd at this point I don't know what the best options are. Yes he can handle the legal side of things but that doesn't stop him from his addiction. I'm guessing the counseling in college was more "you do this or your kicked off the team" type deal so it wasn't his choice. Anybody with addictions knows that when you are forced into something the chances of that help sticking is very little.

Now BigKen you talked about how there probably wasn't follow up for him. Maybe there wasn't but he also didn't go and seek the help he needed either after the counseling side of things was done. If he went to an even half way decent counselor they should have given him plenty of information to help him after their sessions were done. They would have put him in contact with a sponsor and given them plenty of information on people to stay away from or places not to go and so on. This is pretty common practice. What happens though is that person won't answer the calls from the sponsor. They won't avoid the places that trigger their addiction. They won't latch on to the people who want to see them get better. You can try to put the blame on others but this still falls on the lap of Floyd and his choices. That doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a 2nd chance but my guess is this whole incident won't be the wake up call that gets him on the right track.
A lot of people need to hit bottom. This could be Floyd's? Maybe seeing himself on that video, combined with the legal issues he's facing may be it? We can only hope. Congratulations to those on here who have gotten and more importantly STAYED sober. One day at a time fellas, keep up the good work.

PatsFanInColtsCountry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. For me it was waking up...excuse me, coming to, in jail.

Again.

Made the determination that I did not ever want to make news friends like that again.
Feb. 28th, 1988, waking up in the State Police Barracks.

I saw pictures of my car- I still don't know how I walked away without a scratch. No one else was injured.

I decided then that situation could never happen again. So far....

I understand where Floyd is. I hope he can find it within himself to make his daily (hourly?) commitment.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of people need to hit bottom. This could be Floyd's? Maybe seeing himself on that video, combined with the legal issues he's facing may be it? We can only hope. Congratulations to those on here who have gotten and more importantly STAYED sober. One day at a time fellas, keep up the good work.

I hope it is. I know part of his "punishment" in college was to speak of families that had lost loved ones to drunk drivers. Obviously that was not enough which is why I wonder if this video really does much of anything to him. Maybe the prospect of actual jail time wakes him up. I don't know. I watched my uncle lose job after job to alcohol thinking each of those would be his wake up call. Then his family left him thinking that might do it. Then watched him end up breaking his back because of an alcohol related incident where he could only sit on a couch for 3 months thinking that time would sober him up and give him a chance to see what alcohol had done to his life. So far he has not hit rock bottom. Just different for everybody. Like I said I don't think him being in an NFL locker room is a great environment for him to see he has hit rock bottom. Wouldn't surprise me if some of the players actually encouraged him to come out drinking with them as that is pretty common practice to build up the connection among players.

And yeah definitely want to say great job to all those who have sobered up. I know every day is a challenge. Keep up the great work and hopefully your stories can help inspire others to realize if they really want to they can live a sober life.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope it is. I know part of his "punishment" in college was to speak of families that had lost loved ones to drunk drivers. Obviously that was not enough which is why I wonder if this video really does much of anything to him. Maybe the prospect of actual jail time wakes him up. I don't know. I watched my uncle lose job after job to alcohol thinking each of those would be his wake up call. Then his family left him thinking that might do it. Then watched him end up breaking his back because of an alcohol related incident where he could only sit on a couch for 3 months thinking that time would sober him up and give him a chance to see what alcohol had done to his life. So far he has not hit rock bottom. Just different for everybody. Like I said I don't think him being in an NFL locker room is a great environment for him to see he has hit rock bottom. Wouldn't surprise me if some of the players actually encouraged him to come out drinking with them as that is pretty common practice to build up the connection among players.

And yeah definitely want to say great job to all those who have sobered up. I know every day is a challenge. Keep up the great work and hopefully your stories can help inspire others to realize if they really want to they can live a sober life.
Only time will tell. I don't claim to know what goes on inside NEs locker room, nor who drinks and who doesn't. We know Alan Branch is in that locker room after his DUI. If he's sober I'm sure he's providing some strength?
People also mature at different times. Not that maturity is a fix all for alcoholism by any means. But it can be a factor. Naturally we all want to see him get healthy. Even more so and unselfishly as a NE fan I'd love for the Pats organization to be a part of his getting sober. NE could use a feel good story.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you see Brandon Marshall said he wants to play in a playoff game since he never has. He mentioned he wouldn't mind going to NE if things worked out. Went on to talk about not being a one year rental....

Watch NE will not get penalized for tampering, lol

I thought he said it would be only a 1 year rental. I thought I read that he said he would play for New England but "they are not my team".

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have compassion for him too and yet, multiple times fucking up and he does this?

I too drove drunk in the 70s and 80s but I never pulled anything like that.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Apparently the Patriots don't agree with me either.

Lucky you.

Alcohol effects different people differently. Some people can feel the buzz coming on and taper off their consumption to control the effects.

Others cannot. And when they think they can control it, bam, they drink another. And another. And another.
Then they still feel in control and go get behind the wheel.

Yes, a conscious decision to slip behind the wheel, but completely feeling they are not quite so drunk as to be a danger.

I knew a gut that blew a 0.42 after leaving a party on his motorcycle. It was confirmed by a blood test. When I heard that, I told my mother he was as good as dead.
The next week he blew a 0.43 on a Wednesday afternoon.
The next Saturday he died of liver failure at a 0.45 after riding his Harley home.

Some people have such a high tolerance, they just do not realize what condition they are in.

I can tell you I went to a bachelor party one night, and I remember nuthin after starting to pour my first drink. I hadn't even started drinking and I lost control. I came to about 3 in the morning beating the shit out of my truck miles out in the woods stuck in a mud hole. Good times...bad times.

The Krafts treat players like family, maybe that will be the saving grace for this young man.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Floyd has to do more than catch passes and keep his nose clean.
He will be on an invisible leash. If he doesn't seem like he is catching on to the seriousness of his problem, he will be gone next season without anything happening.....
I repeat, if he catches some passes and looks like a hero this playoff season, we will not sign him and we'll take the 3rd rounder because somebody else will sign him - if he is clean but not taking it serious.
Clean until February is not good enough!

ohiopatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far, Floyd is saying and doing all the right things. That block to spring Edelman was a solid play and he is absorbing the playbook very quickly, according to his teammates. I agree, he is still on a short leash and, if he regresses, BB will not hesitate to cut him. WR is looking pretty good for the Pats right now. Edelman looks sharp, Hogan has been a solid contributor, Amendola will be back for the playoffs (need him returning punts) and Mitchell has been coming on the last half of the season. One cautionary note on Mitchell however, Andre Dobson actually had more catches than him during his rookie season and you see where he is now. If Mitchell can show steady progress in 2017, then the receivers are in great shape and even Floyd may need to step up his game.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far, Floyd is saying and doing all the right things. That block to spring Edelman was a solid play and he is absorbing the playbook very quickly, according to his teammates. I agree, he is still on a short leash and, if he regresses, BB will not hesitate to cut him. WR is looking pretty good for the Pats right now. Edelman looks sharp, Hogan has been a solid contributor, Amendola will be back for the playoffs (need him returning punts) and Mitchell has been coming on the last half of the season. One cautionary note on Mitchell however, Andre Dobson actually had more catches than him during his rookie season and you see where he is now. If Mitchell can show steady progress in 2017, then the receivers are in great shape and even Floyd may need to step up his game.

Dobson went on to be injured every yr after his 1st...LOL. I think Mitchell will only get better. He is making those tough catches that most rookies drop. Kid is smart, so here to hoping.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dobson went on to be injured every yr after his 1st...LOL. I think Mitchell will only get better. He is making those tough catches that most rookies drop. Kid is smart, so here to hoping.

Dobson only had a few good plays his rookie year, Mitchell has had a number of great games.
Brady trusts him, something Dobson never gained. Those two are not even in the same league.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for posting the sentencing. I only heard he plead guilty no outcomes though. No 24 days is great.
Now the bigger issues. Can he lay off the sauce and will he resign with NE?

Explain.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could've been a lot longer. This way he doesn't miss any time. He'll workout while he's in there. So when he gets released he can get back to training.
Not sure where his house arrest and community service will take place? AZ or MA? Not even sure where he calls home now?
Well we do for the next 23 days.