• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pats claim WR Michael Floyd and work out Devin Hester

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.217 BAC for Floyd....DAMN....that is considered "mega DUI" in AZ I think....OK, so yeah the videos were bad, but what were you expecting? He was passed out drunk at a stop light!! IDK what people were expecting, I really don't. It's funny because the media was like "bad move" and angry at the Patriots, now the video is out and people are literally flipping their shit and want him gone...I don't get it, so I'll ask again....Was Floyd not suppose to play in the NFL again, or just not for NE? When was Floyd supposed to be picked up or signed, a week/month/year? People in the media want this kid to not see the football field again this yr....So is Floyd supposed to just sit home? If so, you know he is going to be drunk all the time, not get the help he needs and just might drive drunk again. Being in the NFL is prob a good thing for him, a distraction so to speak. Maybe now, seeing what he looked like hammered, he can get his shit straight. I'm pretty sure NE is helping him do that and honestly, some jail time would be nice reminder of what live can be like NOT playing in the NFL.

I expect a suspension will be forthcoming.
The length of time will be dependent on a few things that remain to be seen

1) If he resigns with New England for '17 and beyond.
2) how well he plays the remainder of the '16 season in New England.
3) How well New England does in the play offs

Low snap count, not much impact for the Pats, Pats out by AFCCG, no new contract = 1 game and some counseling.
Big impact, Superbowl win, but still no new contract = 4 game suspension
Low snap count, not much impact for the Pats, SB win, no new contract = 6 game suspension
Low snap count, not much impact for the Pats, SB win, new contract = 8 game suspension
Big impact, Superbowl win, new contract = Year long suspension for Floyd and Brady (for being generally aware that Floyd is a WR) Bill banned for life, Kraft put on notice that he could have his franchise removed.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect a suspension will be forthcoming.
The length of time will be dependent on a few things that remain to be seen

1) If he resigns with New England for '17 and beyond.
2) how well he plays the remainder of the '16 season in New England.
3) How well New England does in the play offs

Low snap count, not much impact for the Pats, Pats out by AFCCG, no new contract = 1 game and some counseling.
Big impact, Superbowl win, but still no new contract = 4 game suspension
Low snap count, not much impact for the Pats, SB win, no new contract = 6 game suspension
Low snap count, not much impact for the Pats, SB win, new contract = 8 game suspension
Big impact, Superbowl win, new contract = Year long suspension for Floyd and Brady (for being generally aware that Floyd is a WR) Bill banned for life, Kraft put on notice that he could have his franchise removed.

I know you did this out of humor and I did laugh quite a bit but on a more serious note the DUI program is actually pretty black and white on length of suspension. So the NFLPA would love to see Goodell over step his power on something like this. Where Goodell gets a bit more power is when things are in the gray area of enforcement.

And even if the video is dismissed with it getting leaked that won't dismiss the BAC of .217. That is plenty to get him convicted and thrown in jail for 45 days.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm Robert Kraft the kid was cut from the team yesterday.

The Pats will win without this cat and the image damage isn't worth it. I get your point Creep but it's just different after the video comes out. Too bad but again, if I'm Pats management, my vote is sorry kid, we'd have taken a shot with you but you cannot be separated from that video. However, the organization can separate itself and that's what we'll need to do.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He finally spoke with the media today. He was very contrite. Apologized and considers himself blessed that the Patriots are willing to give him another chance. Sounds like he'll be taking up permanent residency in Mass.

Also heard today that he is voluntarily in professional counseling. ( I can only assume with a little push from BB)

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He finally spoke with the media today. He was very contrite. Apologized and considers himself blessed that the Patriots are willing to give him another chance. Sounds like he'll be taking up permanent residency in Mass.

Also heard today that he is voluntarily in professional counseling. ( I can only assume with a little push from BB)

Or an astute attorney.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the allure of the fire sale price. I don't understand the perceived value exceeding the career-long slight that video will bring.

Ray Rice hasn't played has he? Imagine if he did and ended up winning a Championship. What would rival fans and the media in general do with that elevator video?

Mark my words. Either the kid never pans out again and gets forgotten about or there is great regret in having kept him.

The way they're playing right now they can win the Superbowl this year without Rob Gronkowski. They can certainly win it without Micheal Floyd.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the allure of the fire sale price. I don't understand the perceived value exceeding the career-long slight that video will bring.

Ray Rice hasn't played has he? Imagine if he did and ended up winning a Championship. What would rival fans and the media in general do with that elevator video?

Mark my words. Either the kid never pans out again and gets forgotten about or there is great regret in having kept him.

The way they're playing right now they can win the Superbowl this year without Rob Gronkowski. They can certainly win it without Micheal Floyd.
Don't compare what Rice did with Floyd getting his second DUI. Both are bad but not the same. Every team and owner and for tgat matter business have different things they tolerate and don't. For example in NE the Pats will not tolerate an abuser or guns. However, they do tolerate someone having a DUI (in this case 2). But look at Branch now. He's come to NE and is a model citizen and a nice addition to the team.
Time will tell what Floyd will do? He's been given a second chance with a great organization. Now it's up to him.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading that Floyd was already in the NFL's substance abuse program, so I think he will be suspended now. I think it's up to the league, and we know what the league thinks of NE. I predict we won't see him this yr. Maybe BB was aware of this and is thinking next yr, but who knows. Worth a shot IMO...

I laugh at the MSM mocking this move. Was Floyd supposed to never play in the NFL again, or was he JUST not allowed to play for the Patriots?? I mean seriously. Media, players dumping on BB. I don't recall any of these assclowns calling on the Steelers to cut Bell for his weed mistake. When was Floyd supposed to be pick up?? A week, month, a year?? He goes anywhere else and it's no big deal. The hypocrisy in the NFL towards the Patriots is pathetic.

I'm really surprised the Cowboys didn't try for him

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't compare what Rice did with Floyd getting his second DUI. Both are bad but not the same. Every team and owner and for tgat matter business have different things they tolerate and don't. For example in NE the Pats will not tolerate an abuser or guns. However, they do tolerate someone having a DUI (in this case 2). But look at Branch now. He's come to NE and is a model citizen and a nice addition to the team.
Time will tell what Floyd will do? He's been given a second chance with a great organization. Now it's up to him.

I don't feel as though you read my post. Everything you stated is true but beside the point.

My comparison is apt. If Rice was associated with a team, that team would be plagued by the elevator vid.

Abused people took offense to that, drunk driving victims and their families will take, and express, their offense to Floyd's vid.

The video was bad....REALLY bad. We don't need the kid.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you see Brandon Marshall said he wants to play in a playoff game since he never has. He mentioned he wouldn't mind going to NE if things worked out. Went on to talk about not being a one year rental....

Watch NE will not get penalized for tampering, lol

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you see Brandon Marshall said he wants to play in a playoff game since he never has. He mentioned he wouldn't mind going to NE if things worked out. Went on to talk about not being a one year rental....

Watch NE will not get penalized for tampering, lol

Oh you know they would somehow

Man, Zoe Lister Jones.. She does it for me!

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't feel as though you read my post. Everything you stated is true but beside the point.

My comparison is apt. If Rice was associated with a team, that team would be plagued by the elevator vid.

Abused people took offense to that, drunk driving victims and their families will take, and express, their offense to Floyd's vid.

The video was bad....REALLY bad. We don't need the kid.
I sort of agree. You'll never make everyone happy. You can't let what other people think make your decisions for you.
You're probably right NE doesn't need him. But I think this is insurance not only for this year but next year as well. Who knows maybe he becomes a spokesperson for MADD or another similiar organization and he does great things for them?
NE took the chance before another team grabbed him.
We can only hope he gets well.

patspa

PATS SEEKING SEVEN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had 3 alcohol related incidents at Notre Dame, in 2 years. Also blowing a .19 on his dui there. Plus this.217 that isn't just drinking that is heavy duty drinking. More like a problem. He was in Counseling according to reports for his incidents at ND and had to meet with a panel of family members of victims of Drunk Drivers. So he obviously didn't learn from it or was in 1 ear out the other with I don't have a problem. He clearly does. Maybe the judge should have given him the year instead of a suspension, maybe that would have made him learn. Yes there was some years in between, more like he didn't get caught and was lucky along with everyone on the road with him.

So as NeEhomer has said, get rid of him, the Pats do not need him.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's very easy for people to lean back and pontificate what others should do. The guy has a problem and yes, he's gone to a counseling program when he was in college. Like Weight Watchers, Nutra System and Jenny Craig, they're all behind you 100% when you're dumping cash in their lap, but once you're done, you're on your own.
He may never have had the follow up or support after his first attempt.

I was a fall down drunk when I got into the service and during my first two tours. I quit drinking on New Years Day 1970, did two more tours and have never had a drink of hard alcohol since. My wife drinks wine and has a cocktail nearly every day and there's nothing more that I'd like to do than sit down with that bottle of Gentleman Jack. I'm extremely lucky because I can turn away and find something else to occupy my mind and my desire.

I have compassion for Michael Floyd. I know what he's going through. He needs help now and quite possibly for the rest of his natural life. I sincerely hope he finds it.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have compassion for him too and yet, multiple times fucking up and he does this?

I too drove drunk in the 70s and 80s but I never pulled anything like that.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Apparently the Patriots don't agree with me either.

ohiopatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well said BigKen. Cynics would say that Floyd is only getting another chance because he can catch a football. That is true enough. The important thing is, what he does with this chance. Christmas is a time for forgiveness, rededication and rebirth. If Mr. Floyd can grasp that concept and turn his life around, then some thing good, totally outside of football, can come out of this mess. If not, that flushing sound is his life going down the toilet. I hope he gets the message, not for the sake of the NE Patriots but for for his own sake.
That said, I wish everyone on this site a very Merry and Blessed Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you did this out of humor and I did laugh quite a bit but on a more serious note the DUI program is actually pretty black and white on length of suspension. So the NFLPA would love to see Goodell over step his power on something like this. Where Goodell gets a bit more power is when things are in the gray area of enforcement.

And even if the video is dismissed with it getting leaked that won't dismiss the BAC of .217. That is plenty to get him convicted and thrown in jail for 45 days.

Yes, the video means squat. He refused a breathalyzer and insisted on a blood test from what I have read. And the results of that speak for themselves. The video only proves he was not profiled or beaten.

If he checks himself into a rehab and does everything right, and/or does a 90 days/90 AA meeting (or more) type of thing to prove he is serious about fixing his drinking + driving triggers he could help his situation.

Obviously he cannot do a 30 day rehab at this point and play for the Patriots, so I were his attorney, I would be insisting on 90/90 and getting a good sponsor. This to help the legal issues. I would also insist that Floyd and his sponsor show up to the preliminary hearing (which appearance is not mandatory) to show accountability and desire to fix those triggers.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the video means squat. He refused a breathalyzer and insisted on a blood test from what I have read. And the results of that speak for themselves. The video only proves he was not profiled or beaten.

If he checks himself into a rehab and does everything right, and/or does a 90 days/90 AA meeting (or more) type of thing to prove he is serious about fixing his drinking + driving triggers he could help his situation.

Obviously he cannot do a 30 day rehab at this point and play for the Patriots, so I were his attorney, I would be insisting on 90/90 and getting a good sponsor. This to help the legal issues. I would also insist that Floyd and his sponsor show up to the preliminary hearing (which appearance is not mandatory) to show accountability and desire to fix those triggers.

That is definitely a start for sure and would show the courts something but my guess is the courts will say "you've done much of that in the past and it didn't do anything." Really for Floyd at this point I don't know what the best options are. Yes he can handle the legal side of things but that doesn't stop him from his addiction. I'm guessing the counseling in college was more "you do this or your kicked off the team" type deal so it wasn't his choice. Anybody with addictions knows that when you are forced into something the chances of that help sticking is very little.

Now BigKen you talked about how there probably wasn't follow up for him. Maybe there wasn't but he also didn't go and seek the help he needed either after the counseling side of things was done. If he went to an even half way decent counselor they should have given him plenty of information to help him after their sessions were done. They would have put him in contact with a sponsor and given them plenty of information on people to stay away from or places not to go and so on. This is pretty common practice. What happens though is that person won't answer the calls from the sponsor. They won't avoid the places that trigger their addiction. They won't latch on to the people who want to see them get better. You can try to put the blame on others but this still falls on the lap of Floyd and his choices. That doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a 2nd chance but my guess is this whole incident won't be the wake up call that gets him on the right track.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not blaming anyone but him. The problem with addiction is that the person who's addicted needs more than a sponsor or a friend or a good buddy. He needs family that can be with him when the sponsor or others can't be. Addiction isn't an 8 hour job. It's a 24 hour< NEVR ENDING> problem. I will have been liquor free for 47 years come Jan.1. Every day is a challenge when I see the liquor .....Absolute, Jose Cuervo, Jack Daniels, Gentlerman Jack, Capt. Morgan, Bailey's...........I have an "A List" of liquor in my house.

Floyd has a problem and it appears to be pretty darn serious. If he doesn't have someone to go home to or with every night, he'll never be successful. The minute he's alone, he'll feel alone and the easiest way to find someone to be with is at the local bar.........If you've never dealt with the problem yourself or with someone you love, you don't have a clue as to how hard it is to get through every day.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not blaming anyone but him. The problem with addiction is that the person who's addicted needs more than a sponsor or a friend or a good buddy. He needs family that can be with him when the sponsor or others can't be. Addiction isn't an 8 hour job. It's a 24 hour< NEVR ENDING> problem. I will have been liquor free for 47 years come Jan.1. Every day is a challenge when I see the liquor .....Absolute, Jose Cuervo, Jack Daniels, Gentlerman Jack, Capt. Morgan, Bailey's...........I have an "A List" of liquor in my house.

Floyd has a problem and it appears to be pretty darn serious. If he doesn't have someone to go home to or with every night, he'll never be successful. The minute he's alone, he'll feel alone and the easiest way to find someone to be with is at the local bar.........If you've never dealt with the problem yourself or with someone you love, you don't have a clue as to how hard it is to get through every day.

Agree 100%
March 8, 1993 for me.
But above all else, the person has to want to recover. Nobody can want it for them.

And congratulations on 46 years 356 days.