• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Patrick Reed's play off of 18 tee at Doral

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point on Kim, another guy Sean O'Hair...I know he's still on tour, but pretty much an also ran already. That's why I think you get the win any way you can out there...it's hard to stick long term...Jason Gore was blazing a couple of years ago...now on the Web.com tour.

It did work out for him I guess. Imagine if he had tried it and didn't get it done though. I remember we were talking about how it sucks when you play "smart" and it backfires on you. I think he would have been facing severe criticism if he had made a six. Everyone would have been talking about all the negative thoughts in his head.

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't necessarily related to Patrick Reed, but I got to thinking about young players that have fallen off of the map....

Anthony Kim. I know he was injured and has a major medical extension waiting for him, but by all accounts he should be back by now. Can't find anything out there on him and his current whereabouts. Interesting.

There's a decent chance this can happen to Rory. Long shot, but it could happen. I think Kaymer is going down this road too.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Others that haven't had staying power
Weir
Daly
Camilo
Boo
Duval

Countless others out there too I'm sure. All of these were super hot at one time or another though.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It did work out for him I guess. Imagine if he had tried it and didn't get it done though. I remember we were talking about how it sucks when you play "smart" and it backfires on you. I think he would have been facing severe criticism if he had made a six. Everyone would have been talking about all the negative thoughts in his head.

At the end of the day that's what matters now...the style points don't, but I'm with you that it didn't look like a PGAT professional closing out a tourney. I don't know what's in the future for the kid, (definitely looks older) but just based on history I don't see him staying in the limelight very long.

RaiderZar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weir
Daly
Camilo
Boo
Duval

Countless others out there too I'm sure. All of these were super hot at one time or another though.

More of a feel-good, flash in the pan story. JD sure had a great group of followers. Anyone who drinks and/or smokes a bit while enjoying 18 holes could relate. :suds:

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't necessarily related to Patrick Reed, but I got to thinking about young players that have fallen off of the map....

Anthony Kim. I know he was injured and has a major medical extension waiting for him, but by all accounts he should be back by now. Can't find anything out there on him and his current whereabouts. Interesting.

Anthony Kim had about as much talent as anyone. His swing is near perfect. He showed the ability to not only win - but to dominate a tournament. Sucks to see what happened to him.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weir
Daly
Camilo
Boo
Duval

Weir did fall off the cliff but he got injured, trying to make a comeback...Daly, yeah he has fallen, but he never really went away...I think he'll hang in there long enough to cash on the Sr. tour.

Camilo is the one that sticks out. I want to say he got injured too, but I think he bulked up a bit too much. Duval career just came into conflict with his personal life...getting dumped at the height of your career was a huge downer for him.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weir did fall off the cliff but he got injured, trying to make a comeback...Daly, yeah he has fallen, but he never really went away...I think he'll hang in there long enough to cash on the Sr. tour.

Camilo is the one that sticks out. I want to say he got injured too, but I think he bulked up a bit too much. Duval career just came into conflict with his personal life...getting dumped at the height of your career was a huge downer for him.

What happened to Weir is the same thing that happened to Baddely. They both went to the one plane/stack and tilt farces. Neither player ever won another tourney once they bought the coolaide. And now Tiger has gone to foolem foley's version of it. Go figure.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a decent chance this can happen to Rory. Long shot, but it could happen. I think Kaymer is going down this road too.

Kaymer is already down that road...Rory, yeah, possible...I think Rory will hang around the top for a while longer, but the expectations will eventually get to him. If he gets to 20-25 wins, 4 or 5 majors he will be huge.

A lot of people crap on Tiger and a lot of it well deserved for his off the course stuff, I get that...but, he really put a wide divide between him and the next player...he could've been content with the Nike, etc. money, but he won at such a pace that we have started to take his accomplishments for granted...whether he gets to 19 or even 15 doesn't really matter, I'm quite certain now that I won't see anyone approach this level in my life time.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anthony Kim had about as much talent as anyone. His swing is near perfect. He showed the ability to not only win - but to dominate a tournament. Sucks to see what happened to him.

I remember reading something awhile back that he was either in or going to enter drug/alcohol rehab.

Damn shame

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weir
Daly
Camilo
Boo
Duval

Duval had a very good career.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaymer is already down that road...Rory, yeah, possible...I think Rory will hang around the top for a while longer, but the expectations will eventually get to him. If he gets to 20-25 wins, 4 or 5 majors he will be huge.

A lot of people crap on Tiger and a lot of it well deserved for his off the course stuff, I get that...but, he really put a wide divide between him and the next player...he could've been content with the Nike, etc. money, but he won at such a pace that we have started to take his accomplishments for granted...whether he gets to 19 or even 15 doesn't really matter, I'm quite certain now that I won't see anyone approach this level in my life time.

Agreed. The problem today is there is no incentive to win. The top 150 guys are all making a million dollars on the field and a bunch more in endorsements.

When Big Jack won the U.S. Open in 1981 the 10th place guy got 4,000 dollars. In 2013 the 10th place guy got 210 grand. McIlroy, for example, got a 200 million endorsement contract from Nike just for using their equipment, he doesn't need to win anything.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. The problem today is there is no incentive to win. The top 150 guys are all making a million dollars on the field and a bunch more in endorsements.

When Big Jack won the U.S. Open in 1981 the 10th place guy got 4,000 dollars. In 2013 the 10th place guy got 210 grand. McIlroy, for example, got a 200 million endorsement contract from Nike just for using their equipment, he doesn't need to win anything.

This is precisely why we'll never see anyone approach Jack or Sam again. Money within the sport has gotten so enormous that I think the HOF credentials are going to suffer...DL3 should get in, obviously Phil/Tiger, but who else from this era?

I've been to the World HOF. It's nice, but was pretty barren back then...Pretty soon 15 wins and a major might be the new standard.

RaiderZar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back on Reed for a minute. Is he not playing this week because he won last week? When is his caddie due? Maybe he didn't schedule this tourney at all? :noidea:

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is precisely why we'll never see anyone approach Jack or Sam again. Money within the sport has gotten so enormous that I think the HOF credentials are going to suffer...DL3 should get in, obviously Phil/Tiger, but who else from this era?

I've been to the World HOF. It's nice, but was pretty barren back then...Pretty soon 15 wins and a major might be the new standard.

It already is. See Fred Couples. McIlroy already has 11 on the big boy tours including 2 majors. I think he'd have to fall off the world not to make it.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It already is. See Fred Couples. McIlroy already has 11 on the big boy tours including 2 majors. I think he'd have to fall off the world not to make it.

If I'm a fan of any golfer, Fred Couples is him...well aware of his stats...Yep, we can pretty much count Rory if he doesn't fall on his face...Maybe D. Johnson if he can finally bag a big one, the rest have a ways to go.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idk if Els is in, if not I can see him & DL3 going in together. Probably looking at Mark O'Meara...if Furyk gets in (same stats as Couples) then we know the standard is officially 15 wins and 1 major.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back on Reed for a minute. Is he not playing this week because he won last week? When is his caddie due? Maybe he didn't schedule this tourney at all? :noidea:

Probably any week now, she looked ready pop last week.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...Freddie eeked in, maybe not the standard yet or DL3 would already be in, but we're definitely heading there.

Everyone loves Boom-Boom. I like him too but I thought it was a bit premature. His rep and popularity have always out-shined his accomplishments. His quick start against the old-timers helped. Love is a lock. I'm pretty sure nobody eligible with as many wins including a major isn't already in. Furyk & O'Meara might get in eventually as well.