• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Palmer sells house, pulls kids out of school, leaves Arizona

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt the Cowboys release Romo.

The Spotrac figures would make me believe that, but I understand his contract has some wiggle room for DAL to get out of it....I do know DAL will have some Romo restructure money hitting the cap over the next 3 yrs, but that's manageable.

At the same time I just can't see DAL carrying that kind of contract for a backup. Something will be done there. What? IDK.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, not cutting him means they're paying (cap hit) their backup $24M. In real dollars, $14M I think.

To me the most likely is he gets released. The 2017 salary isn't that bad for a "good" starting QB, but the final 2 years are an avg of $20M/yr when he is 37 & 38.

One of the few times real dollars don't really matter...no way they can carry his cap hit of $24.7 next yr as a back up. IDK how the NFLPA looks at players agreeing to rip up deals but I get some sense that will happen to free him up to move on to another team.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point, Dallas may not have much choice. They're currently $13 million over the cap. Even if they get rid of Romo, they would also have to seriously consider getting rid of Sean Lee, Jason Witten and Doug Free as well - just to give them room to manuever in the draft - let alone free agency. Even then, they'd only have $10 million in space to work with.

Call the EPA, I have serious proof that some US homes still have Chinese drywall. The fumes from this drywall are clearly effecting people's brain function.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call the EPA, I have serious proof that some US homes still have Chinese drywall. The fumes from this drywall are clearly effecting people's brain function.

Just going off cap space numbers. They aren't forced to free up space with any one specific player - Lee just happens to have a lot of cap space available - that's the full extent of the point. There are other avenues to get them back to the cap - and I'm sure the team is looking into them - but right now it appears they will either field half a team or at least 1 or more of their highly paid players will not be with the team next year.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The line of thinking makes some sense, but I don't know about the teams. if you're Cle or SF, why rent a $14M QB for one year when you aren't 1 player away from contending? That's in addition to the pick(s) it takes to trade. If you're 1 of the 2 worst teams in the league, get a fair priced journeyman for a year or 2 while you're trying to find your long term guy in the draft.

I point those teams out, not because they are the 1 and 2 picks of the draft, but because they have an insane amount of cap space for 2017 - which means that they could bring in a 1 year rental and still have plenty of money to spend to fill out every other need on the team. Heck, the 9ers could save the same amount of money, just moving on from Kaep, and still have an insane amount to spend in free agency.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does it mean? Hell if I know. But Palmer is the straw that stirs the Cardinals drink. If he leaves that team, the NFC West may become the weakest division in football.
The AFC souths got you.

This would be a blessing for AZ. Carson Palmer is a bitch.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just going off cap space numbers. They aren't forced to free up space with any one specific player - Lee just happens to have a lot of cap space available - that's the full extent of the point. There are other avenues to get them back to the cap - and I'm sure the team is looking into them - but right now it appears they will either field half a team or at least 1 or more of their highly paid players will not be with the team next year.

Just by going off the population of humans on this planet, we should kill 1 billion of them because we won't be able to feed them all in the years to come.

Now that is a solution based on the pure math of the problem but void of any other realistic integrity.

And that is exactly what you are doing when you look at the cap space and suggest the Cowboys should seriously look at cutting Sean Lee. The heart & soul of the Cowboys defense.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just by going off the population of humans on this planet, we should kill 1 billion of them because we won't be able to feed them all in the years to come.

Now that is a solution based on the pure math of the problem but void of any other realistic integrity.

And that is exactly what you are doing when you look at the cap space and suggest the Cowboys should seriously look at cutting Sean Lee. The heart & soul of the Cowboys defense.

Yeah, because killing 1 billion people is the equivalent of free up cap space.

Granted, I do understand what you're saying, as well as I understand that it isn't as cut and dried as a post on a message board, but sometimes hard decisions need to be made. Now, that could be a simple restructure (which the Cowboys have done with players in the past), but how much money could they realistically save restructuring Lee's contract (or any of the other 3).

Now, since you're here - what are your thoughts on how the Cowboys get their cap under control (generally and in relations into whether they trade/cut Tony Romo)?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carson or Romo being the QB for the Cardinals is A OK with me. Either is a short term answer ( and a iffy one at that), looking forward to next season.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Would Tony Romo be one of the billion you want to kill off, Adolf? And what about Jason Witten? Are you planning on killing him off to, Idi?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the few times real dollars don't really matter...no way they can carry his cap hit of $24.7 next yr as a back up. IDK how the NFLPA looks at players agreeing to rip up deals but I get some sense that will happen to free him up to move on to another team.
Agreeing to rip a deal? Like an annulment? I don't think there's any provision for that in the CBA. The only thing I can think of remotely close is retiring because then that could get the team off the hook for some of the guaranteed money that may have been paid already, but it wouldn't make that player free to go to another team as a FA. If Romo keeps showing up to work, he's got a job with the Cowboys for a cap hit of $24M in 2017 unless they trade him or cut him.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreeing to rip a deal? Like an annulment? I don't think there's any provision for that in the CBA. The only thing I can think of remotely close is retiring because then that could get the team off the hook for some of the guaranteed money that may have been paid already, but it wouldn't make that player free to go to another team as a FA. If Romo keeps showing up to work, he's got a job with the Cowboys for a cap hit of $24M in 2017 unless they trade him or cut him.

I'm not sure this in bold is entirely correct.

Cut n pasted this from Steeler Wire.

Roethlisberger has three years remaining on a four-year contract extension he signed in 2015, one that included a signing bonus worth $31 million. Due base salaries of $12 million each season and including his prorated bonus amount of $6.2 million, Roethlisberger is set to cost Pittsburgh $18.2 million against the cap in 2017. He will account for $23.2 million in both 2018 and 2019 thanks to an additional roster bonus of $5 million owed each year.

Should Roethlisberger actually retire, for salary cap purposes it would be treated the same as if the Steelers had released him. Assuming this retirement happened prior to June 1, the entire amount of Roethlisberger’s prorated bonus would be accelerated forward to count against the 2017 ledger. Considering he would have been set to cost $18.2 million anyway, a retirement would end up costing Pittsburgh another $400,00 with the dead money charge set to be $18.6 million as it stands. If the retirement was processed after June 1, the Steelers would be hit with dead money of $6.2 million next year and $12.4 million in 2018.

Teams rework contracts to lower cap hits all the time, so I don't see why it can't be done here. The part that is iron clad is the restructure bonus money...that cannot be moved and must hit the cap as laid out. The part that you are right about would be the FA status.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure this in bold is entirely correct.

Cut n pasted this from Steeler Wire.

Roethlisberger has three years remaining on a four-year contract extension he signed in 2015, one that included a signing bonus worth $31 million. Due base salaries of $12 million each season and including his prorated bonus amount of $6.2 million, Roethlisberger is set to cost Pittsburgh $18.2 million against the cap in 2017. He will account for $23.2 million in both 2018 and 2019 thanks to an additional roster bonus of $5 million owed each year.

Should Roethlisberger actually retire, for salary cap purposes it would be treated the same as if the Steelers had released him. Assuming this retirement happened prior to June 1, the entire amount of Roethlisberger’s prorated bonus would be accelerated forward to count against the 2017 ledger. Considering he would have been set to cost $18.2 million anyway, a retirement would end up costing Pittsburgh another $400,00 with the dead money charge set to be $18.6 million as it stands. If the retirement was processed after June 1, the Steelers would be hit with dead money of $6.2 million next year and $12.4 million in 2018.

Teams rework contracts to lower cap hits all the time, so I don't see why it can't be done here. The part that is iron clad is the restructure bonus money...that cannot be moved and must hit the cap as laid out. The part that you are right about would be the FA status.
I'm talking about real dollars vs cap hit. If I sign a big contract then immediately retire, the team can go after recoupment of real dollars that they already paid me.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm talking about real dollars vs cap hit. If I sign a big contract then immediately retire, the team can go after recoupment of real dollars that they already paid me.

Oh...yeah I would think an immediate non-injury related retirement you would be liable to pay back a portion of the guaranteed money. The Falcons went after some of Vick's bonus money when he did time in the pen.

But as stated, if he's willing, I think it's possible to restructure his contract to make it more tradeable.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carson or Romo being the QB for the Cardinals is A OK with me. Either is a short term answer ( and a iffy one at that), looking forward to next season.
Hmmm, might have to suggest an avatar bet on who wins the West next year.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh...yeah I would think an immediate non-injury related retirement you would be liable to pay back a portion of the guaranteed money. The Falcons went after some of Vick's bonus money when he did time in the pen.

But as stated, if he's willing, I think it's possible to restructure his contract to make it more tradeable.
With the big focus on Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy these days, I don't think it would be hard for Palmer to be approved for an injury-related retirement. Probably won't be that hard for any player over 30, especially a QB.

And then, when you take a look at his injury history:
Carson Palmer injury history and analysis

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the big focus on Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy these days, I don't think it would be hard for Palmer to be approved for an injury-related retirement. Probably won't be that hard for any player over 30, especially a QB.

And then, when you take a look at his injury history:
Carson Palmer injury history and analysis

To this in bold...what you said.

IDT Carson or Romo would have any issues with bonuses should they retire.