• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pace Of Play.....

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is baseball...I can understand the limits to the mound....but it's baseball. When you go to a baseball game who cares about the length of a game. Baseball purists don't give a shit about the length of the game.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i have no problem watching a 3-4 hr gm. I have a problem with shit that is a waste of time. Get in the damn batters box and pitchers shouldn't be treated like little kids. You are in the major leagues. If you need a catcher or pitching coach to come out and calm you down etc find a new career

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is baseball...I can understand the limits to the mound....but it's baseball. When you go to a baseball game who cares about the length of a game. Baseball purists don't give a shit about the length of the game.

Not to mention you paid an arm and a leg to actually be at the game so for it to be under 2 hours I'll be pissed!

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it continues on this course of lengthy, mind numbing nothing happening shit, there won't be an audience...

you have to adapt and change or you die

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a problem when some primadonna pitcher takes 30 seconds of deep breaths and says prayers to his lord and savior between every pitch.

Erie Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,827.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think, the batters should stay in the batter's box, then entire at bat. Yes, if he gets brushed back, he can step out, but you know what I mean. This shit of stepping out, after every pitch, adjusting gloves, wrist bands, helmets and everything else, after each pitch, needs to end.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think, the batters should stay in the batter's box, then entire at bat. Yes, if he gets brushed back, he can step out, but you know what I mean. This shit of stepping out, after every pitch, adjusting gloves, wrist bands, helmets and everything else, after each pitch, needs to end.

Here ya go .... the human rain delay

pg2_g_hargrove_350.jpg

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pace of play is the dumbest argument. Nobody at a game gives two shits if it is a 5 hour game if it is a good game. The Fernando Rodney mound visits I can understand limiting, but everything else Manfred says is just garbage coming out of his mouth pretending he gives a crap about baseball.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TV wastes more time than anything.

And get rid of replay.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That rule was changed in Michigan (HS level)between my So and Jr seasons. I got a couple called strikes because of it. Then it was habit.

If they stuck to the rule in the minors for a few seasons and then went hard at it during ST, it'd be second nature for guys by May.

Too simple though. You gotta add clocks en shit, to make things really annoying and unnecessary.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Throwing out the ball every time it hits the dirt is an overreaction to a problem that doesn't exist. But it lets the pitcher spend 30 seconds rubbing up the ball, letting the hitter go out 20 feet and take 6 practice swings. Velcro is nice but it doesn't need adjusting if a guy is taking a pitch.

Baseball pretends it's addressing pace of play, pretty much like saying a rusting old battleship needs a coat of paint because ... well, tourists. I find myself yelling GET IN AND HIT! at some of the .189 hitters who aren't sure if the closer is going to nibble with the eephus pitch or just throw the fastball.

Replay has become a joke.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TV wastes more time than anything.

And get rid of replay.

Disagree, baseball is the only sport tv commercials make sense. The commercials almost always a perfectly time for the 8 pitch warm up, catchers getting gear on and inny. Baseball is the only sport where the television does not stop play. But ya, replay is stupid as hell. Especially when another union member has to overrule a union member.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Throwing out the ball every time it hits the dirt is an overreaction to a problem that doesn't exist. But it lets the pitcher spend 30 seconds rubbing up the ball, letting the hitter go out 20 feet and take 6 practice swings. Velcro is nice but it doesn't need adjusting if a guy is taking a pitch.

Baseball pretends it's addressing pace of play, pretty much like saying a rusting old battleship needs a coat of paint because ... well, tourists. I find myself yelling GET IN AND HIT! at some of the .189 hitters who aren't sure if the closer is going to nibble with the eephus pitch or just throw the fastball.

Replay has become a joke.

Throwing out the ball every time is an overreaction but it isn't 90% of the time. Balls can't be rubbed down wrong and hitting the dirt screws with the laces. Baseball can change that by not letting balls getting rubbed down before the game, but pitchers are going to get hurt more if they don't toss them out. Injuries were up with the "tighter ball" pitchers were complaining about this year, it would only get worse with a pitcher throwing with loose stitches.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree, baseball is the only sport tv commercials make sense. The commercials almost always a perfectly time for the 8 pitch warm up, catchers getting gear on and inny. Baseball is the only sport where the television does not stop play. But ya, replay is stupid as hell. Especially when another union member has to overrule a union member.
TV literally wastes more time than anything.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TV literally wastes more time than anything.

But not in baseball. How often does a game get interrupted because of television? Once a month maybe? Every other American sport has tv timeouts, baseball is between innings or during a pitching change. Enough time for 8 warm up pitches. There are 9,000 things to help "pace of play" tv isn't one of them.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But not in baseball. How often does a game get interrupted because of television? Once a month maybe? Every other American sport has tv timeouts, baseball is between innings or during a pitching change. Enough time for 8 warm up pitches. There are 9,000 things to help "pace of play" tv isn't one of them.
Every half inning.

It literally is the largest source of wasted time. Sometimes it's three minutes. And that's twice an inning. Pitchers toss their warm ups and then stand there, waiting for the go ahead to play because the beer commercial is still on.

TV is by far the biggest scourge on pace of play.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering that games in the 1960s lasted 2 hours, I don't know that anything has changed other than it takes 5 to 10 minutes for one single at-bat now. Foul off 4 pitches and add another 3 minutes. If it's a 1-2-3 inning, with 20 pitches, you are still looking at 15 minutes just for a half-inning.
They can sugar coat the rules and bullshit the casual fans about speeding up the game, just in case a few million want to tune in to watch the commercials or something but hitters are spending too much time getting ready and pitchers are standing on the mound waiting for the guy to get in the box BEFORE they spend the next 20 seconds getting something of a signal which they will shake off ... before throwing still another foul ball.
Rinse and repeat.
Baseball is boring itself to death and those of us who are true fans might not care but eventually MLB will have to do something that we don't like. Fix it now or get it fixed for you. The pitch clock is next.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every half inning.

It literally is the largest source of wasted time. Sometimes it's three minutes. And that's twice an inning. Pitchers toss their warm ups and then stand there, waiting for the go ahead to play because the beer commercial is still on.

TV is by far the biggest scourge on pace of play.

Guess we can agree to disagree. I think the tv commercial is nearly perfect for baseball. The only pace of play I can see is limit the mound visits like NFL replays, you get two a game and keep the hitter in the box. If they step out, it's a strike. If they make an extra mound visit the runner or batter gets two bases.

The only legit problem with baseball is the societal problem of broken homes.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess we can agree to disagree. I think the tv commercial is nearly perfect for baseball. The only pace of play I can see is limit the mound visits like NFL replays, you get two a game and keep the hitter in the box. If they step out, it's a strike. If they make an extra mound visit the runner or batter gets two bases.

The only legit problem with baseball is the societal problem of broken homes.
I agree that the commercial isn't the problem. If you are at the ballpark, there is stuff going on between innings so it's only for people who are watching on TV. If MLB tightens up that part of the revenue stream, advertisers will want to recover that in some other way. Having the announcers hawk Pepsi or Budweiser ... well, they do it on local radio, so I guess it's OK.
I don't think mound visits are a bad thing. Usually they are when the action is tense.
I still blame it on the hitters just pissing around at the plate.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that the commercial isn't the problem. If you are at the ballpark, there is stuff going on between innings so it's only for people who are watching on TV. If MLB tightens up that part of the revenue stream, advertisers will want to recover that in some other way. Having the announcers hawk Pepsi or Budweiser ... well, they do it on local radio, so I guess it's OK.
I don't think mound visits are a bad thing. Usually they are when the action is tense.
I still blame it on the hitters just pissing around at the plate.

To me, mound visits are cool if the pitcher is struggling or on the case of a majority of the time where the signals are crossed. Fernando Rodney should've been ejected for having 9 visits in 1 inning. Batters not screwing around would help, but either way if a game is entertaining nobody cares if it is 2 or 5 hours. Owners would never go for it, but the best way to shut up the pace of play is to do a double header on Saturdays. A weekend noone cares, it's the mother who doesn't get to see her son because he is at the ball game who is complaining..and Manfred since he hates baseball.