• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PAC 12 Thread v6.0

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean they have their own thread like Rutgers has a football team. They have one but no one watches it.

I don't know why people are always making fun of Rutgers football. Wait a minute, now I remember why.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington could have a losing season and I'd still find a way to pimp them. With that said there's a UW asst. coach that has his own internet radio show and he has a big fvkng mouth imo. I'm just curious if he's the one who got triggered over Oregon's recruiting.

Speaking of Oregon will the Quack Attack be faster this year? We better ask @OregonDucks.:heh:

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colorado does have a football program but due to all the marijuana dispensaries here in Boulder nobody can remember where the field is located.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course all of the kids UW have offered have other offers from USC and/or other higher level programs. I mean they likely have a few hidden gems they like that aren't on others radars, but not many. The question was how many have USC and others offered that UW hasn't simply because of the OKG stuff. If it's anything greater than zero it is a self imposed limiting factor in top level of talent the team is able to reach. You know I've always been a least a little leery of that.

Again, those small numbers of offers so far at least suggests they are drawing from a smaller pool. But they are super early numbers as well. No idea how many others they are working on that haven't received formal offers yet.

Well I just checked USCs target list and 9 out of the first 10 (I just checked the top ten) also had offers from Washington. So the top players Washington offered USC offered and the top players USC offered Washington offered. So when does the OKG stuff kick in because it seems like they go after the same 5 star and high 4 star players. Like I said if you want to play big boy football you are going after the same top end kids in the 4-5 star range as every other big time program . You get down to three star players well there's so many of those schools will naturally look for players in positions of need and that's where you can be a little more selective and pick the ones who you think fit your culture better and there's a good chance not every school has offered that particular one or given him the level of interest you have.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About 1/3 of those that have voted find any kind of value from early recruiting rankings. Little surprised. Would have thought that number would be quite a bit lower.

Used to be I didn't even pay any attention to them until after Christmas or about a month left until signing day. Last year that was moved up to Thanksgiving with the earlier signing day.

Teams like USC that offer a bunch of the elite 5* kids that typically don't announce without some media event in the final hours is never going to be high up on early lists, but will always finish with a bang. UW might be second right now in the conf, but it's way too early for that to mean anything at all. Like even a little bit IMO.

The only value I see in early recruiting rankings is that it could be a sign for how a teams overall recruiting may go.

However, these are kids. Sometimes they get excited and commit early, only to change their minds later. Sometimes they'll change their minds because a team figures they have them locked up and cuts back on communication.

Plus, as you point out, the more high profile kids that teams like USC typically go after like to have press conferences or commit at all star games which is why USC always closes strong late in the process.

All of those are reasons why early commits don't mean much.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I swear I've covered my eyes at times during field goals and extra point attempts. :L

Field goal kickers are just weird. They have all these camps and teams recruit the best kickers who come with all these recommendations and they kicked 50 yarders in high school and so you give them a scholarship and the one who ends up doing better and getting the job is the walk on.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the entirely fucky part. UW had two full kickers on the roster last year and BOTH sucked ass. :tsk: Neither of them could string together a solid kicking streak. Hence why UW was dead last in FG% in the Pac.

Thankfully one of them graduated. :yes:

...but, they still have the other one. :burt:

:gaah:

blazer prophet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. Same old duck fans. 3 coaches in 3 years, entirely destroyed by their most hated rivals back to back years, and still acting like they are something to be feared.

This is why duck fans are in the top 10 list of most hated nationwide.

Ohio State and UW fans top the list of "fans who are total pricks list".

So where does that leave you now?

blazer prophet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think schools tailor their recruiting to their specific state ,coaching philosophy and status of their football program. With Oregon and it's 266 offers it looks like a combo of reasons. One like you said they are throwing out a ton of offers to see what sticks. But I think with the east coast and southern connections of their previous coach and the new coach they have a lot of offers to players out that way because they know the coaches and high school programs and you're gonna try and tap into what you know as well as the numbers they offer to players out west. Like it or not Oregon did make a name for themselves with kids all over the country for a few years and they still have a little of that left and they are seeing if they can play on that and get some kids.

A good point. But this is what needs to be done these days. Oregon doesn't have the luxury of being a legacy school like USC or Alabama. Nor are they a school with the academic reputation of a Stanford or Northwestern. They have to hustle like most schools. At the moment, with the #6 rated recruiting class they are riding high. They will lose a few and gain a few as time goes on. But recruiting has really become an expensive endeavor.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio State and UW fans top the list of "fans who are total pricks list".

So where does that leave you now?
Link? Because I can show you the national list of most hated fans that have Oregon on it.

Most of the country doesn't have an opinion one way or another about UW because they spent 15 years in the dungeon of irrelevancy. They haven't been back in the top 10 long enough to elicit a national response one way or the other. It's pretty much just duck and coug fans that have issues.

blazer prophet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Link? Because I can show you the national list of most hated fans that have Oregon on it.

Most of the country doesn't have an opinion one way or another about UW because they spent 15 years in the dungeon of irrelevancy. They haven't been back in the top 10 long enough to elicit a national response one way or the other. It's pretty much just duck and coug fans that have issues.

Grrrowling at rude Husky football fans
A rivalry refresher course. Why Duck fans hate the Washington Huskies
Are Husky fans the worst in the P12? | Bear Insider
Are Husky fans the worst in the P12? | Bear Insider
Why Husky Fans are the WORST EVER
Beer, fights and bad behavior: Are college football fans getting too rowdy?

I suppose some of the links are a bit weak, but my point is this.... I have been to Nebraska games where I was treated really well. And yet I find Nebraska on both lists of top 25 best & worst fans. I have been to 1 Ohio State game and they were spitting on opposing fans... never seen anything so bad. The UW fans are the same. I have been to at least 8 UO/UW games and was appalled at how the UW fans behaved. And I was disappointed at how some UO fans behaved as well.

I think the bottom line is that rivalry games bring out the worst in people. You seem to think the UW fans are angles hovering above their seats and UO fans the devil reincarnate. I'm here to tell you it cuts both ways.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recruiting dead period has started till around July 24th. Coaches cant have face to face contact with any recruit and no visits can happen.

So things will be quiet on that front for a few weeks.
Some very important recruits with PAC schools as top targets will be announcing in late summer, etc...so things will heat up again quickly in Aug.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recruiting dead period has started till around July 24th. Coaches cant have face to face contact with any recruit and no visits can happen.

So things will be quiet on that front for a few weeks.
Some very important recruits with PAC schools as top targets will be announcing in late summer, etc...so things will heat up again quickly in Aug.
This is when shit gets really boring. No 'WOOFS' to look forwards to on coach Pete's twitter. =/

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the bottom line is that rivalry games bring out the worst in people. You seem to think the UW fans are angles hovering above their seats and UO fans the devil reincarnate. I'm here to tell you it cuts both ways.
I haven't said, nor implied any such thing about UW fans. I simply said recent national lists (of which AG drops dozens of on this site daily) have listed Oregon fans outside of the typical regional/rivalry stuff. I think I was also clear at saying UW doesn't make those lists right now mostly because they weren't relevant for the last 15 years. You have to make waves to earn some hate.

I mean no shit duck fans can bring up hate from UW fans. That 12 year streak brought out the absolute worst possible bullshit from duck fans. What would you expect the reaction to be? We listened for years to how much duck fans hate UW fans for being arrogant or otherwise treating them poorly when their team sucked. Tables turned and duck fans acted worse than what they claimed they dealt with. So now things have swung back the other way and ours are unloading a bit. It's the cycle of rivals.

Oly is an example of a duck fan that doesn't go crazy either way and all schools have those fans as well as the ones that go over the top. It is what it is.