• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pac 12 basketball

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My general rule of thumb is that if a kid thinks he's a 2nd rounder but can't really improve his stock, then leaving can be a wise decision even if you're playing in the D League for 50K-70K a year. For me Briscoe of UK would fit into the category for me. I feel like Simmons has enough talent to improve his stock because he has NBA attributes(size, length, athleticism), but just needs a little seasoning. I'm wondering if he had his mind made up the whole time no matter how this season turned out.

You never know what financial stress might be hovering over the family and/or friends of the player. That stuff doesn't get talked about much but must play a role. Doesn't make it any less dumb... but can explain the desperation and lack of patience.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You never know what financial stress might be hovering over the family and/or friends of the player. That stuff doesn't get talked about much but must play a role. Doesn't make it any less dumb... but can explain the desperation and lack of patience.

I agree, but based on where he might, or might not get drafted, he's not in line to have a huge payday like a 1st round pick would be. He isn't even guaranteed anything being a 2nd rounder. Maybe he gets picked late in the 2nd round and winds up with a Kay Felder type of deal which was a guaranteed 3 year for 2.6 million. I hope he gets it.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My general rule of thumb is that if a kid thinks he's a 2nd rounder but can't really improve his stock, then leaving can be a wise decision even if you're playing in the D League for 50K-70K a year. For me Briscoe of UK would fit into the category for me. I feel like Simmons has enough talent to improve his stock because he has NBA attributes(size, length, athleticism), but just needs a little seasoning. I'm wondering if he had his mind made up the whole time no matter how this season turned out.

I see what you're saying, but I think that if a kid is projected in the 2nd round, then he should stay until he's first round, or get a degree to fall back on before entering the draft, because his chances of making it are low. Plus, the coaching and experience he gets in college are probably going to be better than in the D League (imo).

And I think you're right, I think Kobi can definitely improve, but I don't think he's going to get the attention he needs in the D League.

To your last point, I think you're right. He was a pretty highly rated recruit, and MAA. It's hard to convince a kid that one more year would do wonders, because they put their marker of success in college as being a OAD. They want to already have NBA skills going into college so that they can tell themselves that they didn't need college, it's just a pitstop. It's only true for like a half-dozen kids each year, and like two dozen consider themselves true OADs.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see what you're saying, but I think that if a kid is projected in the 2nd round, then he should stay until he's first round, or get a degree to fall back on before entering the draft, because his chances of making it are low. Plus, the coaching and experience he gets in college are probably going to be better than in the D League (imo).

And I think you're right, I think Kobi can definitely improve, but I don't think he's going to get the attention he needs in the D League.

To your last point, I think you're right. He was a pretty highly rated recruit, and MAA. It's hard to convince a kid that one more year would do wonders, because they put their marker of success in college as being a OAD. They want to already have NBA skills going into college so that they can tell themselves that they didn't need college, it's just a pitstop. It's only true for like a half-dozen kids each year, and like two dozen consider themselves true OADs.

I can see your point on the first stance. And I think it applies to someone like Simmons who has the potential to get a 1st round grade in the future. Some guys are just capped based on their attributes, which I mentioned earlier. Guys that come to mind would be Briscoe, NWG, Grayson Allen etc... Some of them, even if they are a 2nd rounder and get a guarenteed deal want to start their earning potential earlier since they can only do it for so long.

I think the D League can be an alright path to improve, especially if you get the "two-way" contract. But that's not guaranteed either. But college is probably the better way to go, especially for a guy like Simmons who could have potentially flourished as Zona's PG next year.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently, this is all but a done deal. AZ posted the job on the 3rd, so they have to wait until the 13th to announce. But AZ and Romar are in agreement to move forward together.

I think this would drastically help our stagnant offenses under Miller, and add a little boost to recruiting, especially in the PNW.

I'll miss Pasternack and wish him the best, but I'm pretty excited about this hire!
Oh I am beyond excited. I hope Miller lets Romar be somewhat of an offensive coordinator if you will. If we can combine Romar's offensive mind with Millers defense it almost seems unfair. Not to mention the recruiting ties, especially in the Seattle area. WOW

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I am beyond excited. I hope Miller lets Romar be somewhat of an offensive coordinator if you will. If we can combine Romar's offensive mind with Millers defense it almost seems unfair. Not to mention the recruiting ties, especially in the Seattle area. WOW

That's how I keep seeing it. Just give the offense to Romar. I guess I'm a bit surprised that Miller and Romar have a relationship good enough to do this. I would have figured there was too much competition between them, but it's great to see though. So much potential.

On a side note, how fucking weird is it going to be to see Romar in an Arizona shirt after all those years in purple? Hahaha, crazy fucking turn of events. I'll have to see it to believe it, because I can't imagine those two on the same side.

On another side note, how great is it that we don't have to watch Miller's trainwreck fucking offense anymore?!?!?! I love the guy, but I wanna rip my eyes out watching his schemes for the most part. If they weren't running fast-breaks, it was tough to watch most of the time.

Last edited:

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not much of a surprise, but Dillon Brooks is entering the draft as well.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trier is staying. Good decision by him. Likely mid 2nd rounder. Although he may not improve his stock, but at least he's returning to a team that has a chance to win it all.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon loses another as Benson intends to transfer.
so that's 3 starters and the the first 2 guys off the bench that Oregon is losing for sure with 1 more starter still to decide.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon loses another as Benson intends to transfer.
so that's 3 starters and the the first 2 guys off the bench that Oregon is losing for sure with 1 more starter still to decide.
I had a feeling they were going to have a hard time keeping the guys together for next season. Looks like they are headed for a rebuilding year or two.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a feeling they were going to have a hard time keeping the guys together for next season. Looks like they are headed for a rebuilding year or two.
I still think the ducks will be in the upper half of the PAC next year easily. Gonna to be an incredibly down year for the conference and you could still pull in some big recruits/transfers.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romar looking like a mobster right there.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Derski, hypothetical question. Would you stop following the Suns if they draft Brooks?

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Derski, hypothetical question. Would you stop following the Suns if they draft Brooks?
No. Brooks is the type of player you hate unless he's on your team. Kind of like Manu Ginobili.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Jordan Bell is off to the NBA as well...

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shareef O'neal, come on down! Two 5-star (depending on where you look) recruits for the '18 class already. With all the likely departures after this year we are going to have a HUGE class hopefully.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna be fun having Shaq in the stands.