• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

P.J. Hairston to appear in court on assault charges

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,643.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hornets rookie and former North Carolina star guard P.J. Hairston must appear in Durham County Court on misdemeanor charges of assault and battery following an altercation during a pickup basketball game.

Paul Sherwin, the public information officer for the Durham County Sheriff's Office, said Hairston, 21, was issued a summons on Monday but will not be arrested.

Hairston's court date is Aug. 8.

"If two people get into a fight in North Carolina and there is no serious injury and is not witnessed by an officer, our hands are tied," Sherwin said. "We don't charge people in [unwitnessed] fistfights. They have to file a report with the magistrate office."

Kentrell Barkley, a 6-foot-5, 190-pound rising senior at Northern Durham High School, says in court documents that Hairston "punched him twice in the head" during a heated basketball game Sunday at the Durham YMCA.

"We were playing open gym and I was running up the court and he hit me in the forehead with his fist," the 17-year-old Barkley told ESPN.com on Sunday. "I walked up to him and asked him what happened, and then he hit me again in the neck."

Source: ESPN