• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OxnardKingsFan

SaskKingsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never met Ox, but having been a long-time reader of these message boards (back to the ESPN message board days of the early 2000’s), I am very saddened to learn of his passing. Even though I never actually met him, I feel like I knew him - he epitomized what a true Kings fan should be. His posts helped remind me to stay positive about the Kings and keep the faith. He was the voice of reason and unwavering loyalty during some very lean Kings’ years, and I always enjoyed reading his posts and Views from the Ox Box. I still remember his post after the 2012 Cup win, and how ecstatic he was to finally be able to see them win it all! No Kings fan deserved to see them win the Stanley Cup more than him. As a fellow Kings fan, I was very happy for him that he got to witness 2 Kings Cup victories in his life - so well-deserved.

RIP Ox, you will be missed.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just looking through an old thread and had to stop and re-read Ox's comments. I do miss his posts.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

KingsWinTheCup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see some names here that I haven't seen in five years or more. Happened to come across these boards today and was happy to see Puck and some other posters from the old ESPN days. Then I saw this thread. So sorry to learn of Ox's passing. He was the elder statesman on the ESPN boards, a voice of reason and a truly dedicated Kings fan. I'm glad to see that you all stayed together after the demise of the ESPN boards. I hope everyone is doing well. I don't know how much I'll be around here but I had to sign up to pay my respects. Rest in peace Ox.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see some names here that I haven't seen in five years or more. Happened to come across these boards today and was happy to see Puck and some other posters from the old ESPN days. Then I saw this thread. So sorry to learn of Ox's passing. He was the elder statesman on the ESPN boards, a voice of reason and a truly dedicated Kings fan. I'm glad to see that you all stayed together after the demise of the ESPN boards. I hope everyone is doing well. I don't know how much I'll be around here but I had to sign up to pay my respects. Rest in peace Ox.

Welcome to SportsHoopla. :suds: I'm sure the fellas are happy to see you.

pasul82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow! Terrible loss but deeply heartened it didn't surprise his inner circle here.

I too am a LTL from the ESPN boards and would always "lurk" forward to Ox' post-game posts and his matter of fact style. I echo what many have said about his unflappable manner amid the fiery exchanges in this forum.

I think knowing of his contribution to Puck's life resonated deeply for me. I was estranged from my father for years while he drank himself to near death. He got help and saved himself but it was tough for a while to forgive his past. I found my Tom in 1995---a proxy dad that helped me heal those deep childhood wounds and open my heart to my father for the last quarter of his life.

My love and blessings to the Ox family. May we all touch complete strangers (and friends) the way Tom did here.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm happy to hear you had someone similar like that, it's amazing what a little bit of time from someone like that can do for your soul.

I didn't put everything together until about 6-7 years ago, but the foundation for those pieces started in 2003 or so with Tom. Little by little, whether he knew it or not, he helped me become a responsible person, face demons and become a family man.

I have 4 kids now, a stay at home partner who is awesome (she has a Masters in Civil Engineering but finds more joy with the kids at home. I think that's pretty awesome) and a career that has expounded by leaps and bounds in the last 3 years. None of this is possible without Tom helping me starting over a decade ago, my "proudest moments" were either spent in jails or drunk or doing something stupid.

All my kids got to meet Tom (except the last guy, who will be 3 on Dec 31) and he was great with them. My oldest son (5 in October) saw him last, November 30 2013 when we attended the Kings Flames together. I have a picture of us 3 together and look at it often.

I look at it like the impact he had on me changed my life for the better, I can only imagine how he touched everyone he met in life. Truly honored to call him my friend and father figure.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went to Santa Cruz (Boulder Creek to be specific) Friday and driving home yesterday we passed through Oxnard on the 101 and I thought of Tom. We were planning on having a meal or drink together either on one of these family trips going up north or when I am going on my business trips, I have 2 coming up in in August and September headed that way again.

Bummed me out but also thought he would be happy having us in his town.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm posting from my hotel in Ventura, been on a business trip this week to Central and Northern CA. Passed through Oxnard and thought of Tommy, wish we could have gotten together for a beer. Pretty sure he was with me on the ride through on the 101N.

Tried to post on his FB page but I think it's been blocked to only family, I was not able to. Just an FYI Lonnie D if you read this.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God bless you, Ox, you're deeply missed by all hockey fans on tHoop. You were truly a class act, and I always enjoyed reading about the "views from the Ox box".

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So funny you mention that, he has been gone 6 months and instinctively I was looking for a View From The Ox Box last week and nothing was there. It makes you (at least me since I was close to him) think WTF.

I think about Tom as much as I think about my dad, who was great as well, we just didn't have the greatest relationship until his last 2 years of life - I was just too stupid to realize it. I was 13 days into my 28th birthday and my dad was 56 when he left. So many years wasted being dumb on my part and so short of a life for my dad.

With Tom, I had a good relationship from almost the moment we met so I got that void filled that I didn't get with my father. Nothing against my dad, he was a good guy, it is just different.

I do miss Tom though, I'm being dead serious with you guys when I say he guided me so much after my dad's death it's crazy. I bounced all kinds of crazy off him and he would say look son, STFU and this is what you need to do. I would say you sure? and he would say STFU this is what you need to do LOL. I did and my life turned around. I used to drink 15 drinks a night, I now drink 15 drinks in like 3 months.

I loved him as a mentor and friend, I smile so often thinking about him.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just realized that this will be the start of the first entire season without OX. I do miss his posts.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just realized that this will be the start of the first entire season without OX. I do miss his posts.
He is deeply missed, even by non King fans, he had a great presence on this forum, I too enjoyed reading the views from the Ox box, he was a great fan.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was a great person in general. The stories this guy told me, he lived a life worth living. I was a rebellious asshole from birth, and very few people commanded my ear as much as he did. When he spoke, I listened very closely because if he didn't come outright and say it, there was a message in there he wanted you to hear and learn from.

Nowadays the only person who gets that privilege is my wife. Damn.

=)~~

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome to SportsHoopla. :suds: I'm sure the fellas are happy to see you.
I was wondering if I could nominate Ox to the SportsHoopla HOF. He was a great poster, always make people feel welcome to the Kings forum no matter what team they rooted for & was a very knowledgable & objective fan. Even tho he saw his Kings win 2 Cups his final years, he always kept it real like a true Kings fan that endured the frustrations from previous years. I don't think people outside of the Kings forum realize what a treasure we lost & I hope we honor him properly.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely agree with that, he was one of a kind. I "met" him in 1999 and 16 years later, he never wavered. He was just as positive and objective in the crap years as much as he was during the winning years.

April 16 will always be a happy day for me yet also a reflective day, it's my daughter's birthday (she turned 6 on Saturday) but it's also the same day Tom passed away. We went to Legoland and had a blast, and afterwards we went to the Legoland Hotel and Mrs. Puck and I had wine and a beer respectively and I toasted him in my mind.Can't believe a year has passed already.

Sure miss that man. Ox, if you're listening, send some good juju down on the Kings brother - they need it!

=)~~