• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OxnardKingsFan

londav78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OxnardKingsFan (Tom) passed away late Thursday night. I don't know what he shared here with you guys, but if I know him well...probably not much unless you were close to him like I know some of you are.

As some of you know, he was my grandfather and introduced me to the ESPN Kings board when I moved back out here about 11 years ago. I have met several of you through him over the years at Kings games. Puck, Loco, DavnLaguna....and I am sure there are more.

He passed away peacefully at home with friends and family around him. I saw he posted a couple of weeks ago...which is right around the time he lost all of his energy due to cancer. If you would like to more details on this subject then you can shoot me a private message and I will explain further.

He took me to my first Kings game at the forum in the mid-80's. I don't recall the year, but I do remember it was as least as far back as when Carson, Robitaille, and Duchesne burst onto the scene. He bought me my first puck at this game...it was a Quebec Nordiques puck because I liked the way it sounded.

He always took me to the doors of the Players Club after games so I could get autographs. He let me stay as long into the night as I wanted. I remember one special night when the people we sat next to were big Edmonton Oilers fans from Edmonton. They gave us their passes to the Players Club afterwards and we sat at a table with Paul Coffey and Grant Fuhr and had a meal afterwards.

Tom has brought in 4 generations of Kings fans with his passion for the Kings. On any given night at Staples Center our family would have 4 generations at the games. Tom and his wife, Rosemary. My mother...along with me and my wife and our 2 kids.

My daughter is 7 and plays hockey at the Channel Islands Ice Center. Even when he got really sick he came down to that cold building to watch his great-granddaughter play. He bought a Channel Islands Riptide jersey with plans to put her name on it so he could put it with his Kings jerseys.

I hope in the long run I am half the man and good person he was. If any of you would like to get in touch with Rosemary just shoot me a private message and I can make it happen.

CaptnAwesome

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long time lurker on these boards, even back to the ESPN board days. Ox has been a solid influence on these boards since the beginning and seemed a grand person. My prayers to your family and condolences on your loss. Godspeed Ox.
(Raises glass to old friend)

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Sorry for your loss but at least he can rest peacefully now. It makes the two cups that more meaningful, he got to see it twice in the hands of his beloved team in the last 3 years.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm speechless. I've never met him, but this hurts.

Condolences

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dave sorry for your loss. My wife is sending your mom an email on Facebook.
As you know Tom was a great guy with lots of people that liked and admired him.
He will be missed by many people.
Thank you for letting us know.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I too never met him, I did however enjoy discussing and even arguing about the Kings with Ox. He will surely be missed on this board and I am sure even more so in life.

I will drink to him now RIP Ox

xis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm stunned! There's so much to say about Tom but words are escaping me right now. My deepest condolences to you and your family, Dave.

I had to pleasure of meeting Tom many years ago as his guest in the Ox Box. Got to meet you as well, Dave while at a game with Puck and BigSerg. This board will never be the same without you, Tom. The "View from the Ox Box" was a staple of this board since I can remember posting on these boards. I'm so happy that he was able to witness, in person two cup championships. I know it was one of his concerns and wishes to see the Kings win one in his lifetime.

With the boards approval I vote to change our forum banner to one honoring our friend.

Rest In Peace, Ox
X

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the boards approval I vote to change our forum banner to one honoring our friend.

X

I think it would be awesome to have the banner read "View from the Ox box"

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it would be awesome to have the banner read "View from the Ox box"
My condolences to you and your family.binalmost got to meet Ox last year while he and the family were in AZ. But due to work I got sidetracked. I truly wish that I got to meet him.
Funny story. When I first ended up on the old ESPN boards it was purely by accident. I posted a rant on the board after a loss. At the time I thought that it would be read by the team. Ox was the first to respond to my post and to clarify, that absolutely no one from the team reads anything that is posted here. And from that point on I was hooked. Ox was one of the best on this board. He usually tried to defuse tensions between posters. He was very mellow and he and I have been in discussions from trying to convince each other to our point of view to arguing on the same side. I am glad that he lived long enough to see the Kings win a Stanley Cup.
And I am all for changing our banner to honor Ox.

KickSave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the first people I talked to about 15 years back on the boards.. I am gutted... I don't know what to say. I hope he's smiling down on your family from above and resting peacefully..

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RIP, Ox

@londav78 thank you very much for taking the time to think about us.

ouendan1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow. that's all I can say. RIP Ox, you were an incredible person to know on these boards even though I never met you in person.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OMG this is truly sad, very classy & knowledgable poster/fan/person. I always enjoyed my conversations with him. Will for sure keep him in my thoughts & prayers. A great loss for the Kings board & the SportsHoopla as a whole. I mourn with you all. He will be dearly missed. God bless his soul & his family.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn this sucks, Ox was a real humble, and cool dude, Very passionate about the Kings. My prayers go out to him, and his family.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad Ox got to see his Kings win 2 Cups, he deserved it, a great fan & an outstanding human being.

Fox4Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, never met him face to face either but feel like I've known him for years. What a sad day, but looking on the bright side like others have said, so glad he was able to see that cup raised, and twice! You will be missed, Ox!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is very sad news for sure. I, like most, had read, debated, and celebrated Kings hockey with Tom. He was a genuine and true fan, and it was a pleasure to celebrate this Kings recent success with him and with all of you.

My prayers go out to you and your family @londav78.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oxilator emailed me around Dec/Jan and informed me what was going on, but I didn't expect this news so suddenly. His email was very upbeat, very positive and he wasn't giving up. If you knew the man, you would know this was simply Tom being Tom.

Saturday during ball games for my kids, I get a text from X asking if I had read the boards, I checked real quick and saw the news - needless to say I was absolutely stunned and my heart dropped. We had made tentative plans to have lunch and spend some time together next month or June when I was going to do my annual Central CA work trip, stopping in Oxnard.

This guy was well loved by everyone, and one of my mentors. He really started to set me straight back in 2003, right after my father died. I don't have any male relatives here - they are either dead or morons (hot headed uncles mainly) - but Tom became that experienced, male influence on me in my dad's absence. I owe a lot to this man, mainly for getting my life together, learning patience and staying out of trouble.

I met him after 3 years on the board in 2002 at the ASG when it was in LA, and as the years went by at games. We saw each other less as I had kids and wasn't able to attend games as much, but whenever we could we would have a beer and sit together. I truly loved this man as a friend and will miss him.

I'm so happy for the guy that he got to see the Kings win twice let alone one time. He always said he would "die a happy man" if he got to see LA raise the Cup. You got your wish Tommy, and it was well deserved.

I can only imagine what their family is going through, and thank you to Dave for thinking of us. Even if you never met Tom, I know he left a lasting impression on all of us. The world needed a lot more people like him.