• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Our Bowl prediction thread for 2017-18 (Featuring Clemson/Bama, Part III)

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cotton and Belk Bowl

Wake Forest vs. Texas A&M - Game Summary - December 29, 2017 - ESPN

The game above was riveting. It was fun, and it was dramatic.

So that's why the Cotton Bowl was quite a disappointment to me. I wasn't expecting it to be a shootout like the Belk Bowl was, but I was still hoping for a better showing from USC. Ohio State DID look pretty good, though.

Rating for the Belk Bowl: 3.75 stars
Rating for the Cotton Bowl: 2.25 stars

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Music City Bowl

So let me get this straight: Northwestern ends up with only 109 passing yards, Kentucky loses Benny Snell due to a ejection, and both coaches got pissed off at the officials.

Kentucky vs. Northwestern - Game Summary - December 29, 2017 - ESPN Funny... I think all of that made this game more interesting. Granted it's not on par with the Belk Bowl, but it was still fun. And how about Northwestern getting back-to-back bowl wins for the first time ever?

Rating for the Music City Bowl: 3.25 stars

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona and Sun Bowl

Thanks to 4 turnovers, Arizona State ended up a loser in the Sun Bowl as NC State might have just confirmed a Top 25 spot in the year-end polls.

As for the Arizona Bowl... Let's just say that old men in Las Cruces, New Mexico are having a strange case of deja-vu after edging out Utah State in a bowl game. And it was great to see.

Rating for the Sun Bowl: 2.25 stars
Rating for the Arizona Bowl: 2.75 stars

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl predictions (Part 10: December 30th)

So during this week I had car troubles, a pipe that MAY be leaking in the sink, and a polar-snap that could last 5 or 6 more days.

On the other hand, I went 5-0 in my bowl picks yesterday. My dark side's VERY confused right now.

So despite all that, I'm still here. And here's what I think will happen in today's games: (All times are Eastern)

Playstation Fiesta Bowl: Washington vs. Penn State [4:30, ESPN]
(This game is rightly considered "The Battle of the Running Backs", as we have Saquon Barkley [for Penn State] facing Myles Gaskin [for Washington]. Actually, that's not the only thing Washington and Penn State share; good QB's, a playmaker on special teams, and defenses that I know will show up to Phoenix.
So the only way I can decide on a winner is to think "Which guy will show up to make the difference for his team?" And since Saquon will NOT be sitting out this game, he must have a plan...)
My prediction: Penn State 31-28
Other bowl games:
Taxslayer Bowl: Louisville vs. Mississippi State [12:00, ESPN]
(So Mississippi State lost it's head coach to Florida, lost it's quarterback [Nick Fitzpatrick] to an ankle injury, and ESPN has this game as a "Pick-Em"?! Maybe it's because Louisville will be without 2 of it's best defensive players [Jaire Alexander being one of them]. Or maybe 'cause the Bulldogs still has RB Aeris Williams on their side.
...Fine, ESPN! You wanna call this game a "Pick-Em"? Then I'll flip a coin...)
My prediction: Mississippi State 28-27

Autozone Liberty Bowl: Iowa State vs. Memphis [12:30, ABC]
(Yes, Iowa State has been a good story this season. But this game's actually pretty easy to call: Memphis is playing a virtual home game, and Riley Ferguson and the Tigers still have something to prove. Plus, after losing 3 of their final 4 games, I think the honeymoon's over for the Cyclones.)
My prediction: Memphis 38-24

Phew... You know what? I'll have a special treat for all of you tomorrow: My playoff predictions!

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Orange and Fiesta Bowl

A very weird day for me. I went 1-3 in my bowl picks, but all 4 games that went on yesterday were good. I mean, VERY good.

For the Fiesta Bowl (the only one I got right), Penn State just simply outlasted Washington in a game that [honestly] wasn't a classic 'till Washington MADE it a classic.

Wisconsin vs. Miami - Game Summary - December 30, 2017 - ESPN But then there are shockers like this. You mean to tell me that Alex Hornibrook threw for 4-TD's and 258 yards against that vaunted Miami D?! I was as shocked as everyone else inside Sun Life Stadium.

Rating for the Orange Bowl: 3 stars
Rating for the Fiesta Bowl: 3.25 stars

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taxslayer and Liberty Bowl

Louisville vs. Mississippi State - Game Summary - December 30, 2017 - ESPN
Oh! NOW I remember! That coin I tossed to pick the Taxslayer fell on Mississippi State, not Louisville. Hooray for the Bulldogs, and their defense that picked off Lamar Jackson 4 times! Hooray!

As for the Liberty, I'm not gonna say anything other than this: Guess Iowa State had one more great game in them.

Rating for the Taxslayer Bowl: 3.25 stars
Rating for the Liberty Bowl: 3 stars
My record from yesterday: 2-2

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Semifinals predictions

After the year that I've been through in 2017, I'm gonna party on this New Year's Eve. So in order to keep things somewhat professional, I'm doing my picks for the CFP semis today rather than tomorrow.

And just remember, ESPN: It'll probably be hard to not have an east-coast team in this thing, but I'm sure you can work around it. So with that, let's go! (Both times are Eastern)

Rose Bowl Game: Georgia vs. Oklahoma [5:00]:
If Clemson vs. Alabama is the CFP game we'll all quietly line up for, then this contest will probably be "Bizzaro-Land" in Pasadena. These 2 conference champions both have their strengths and weaknesses: Baker Mayfield is amazing, but his immaturity came out a little bit during the week. Not to mention that Baker must deal with not only the Heisman jinx, but Georgia's awesome defense as well.
Georgia, however, has some problems as well; some of their players are on suspension for the game. And can Georgia's QB Jake Fromm perform well enough to stay with Mayfield?)
My prediction: Georgia 31-24 (Baker Mayfield to himself: "Heh heh heh... Heh heh heh heh heh... GOOD.)

Sugar Bowl: Clemson vs. Alabama [8:45]:
(You know the teams. You know the recent history these 2 have shared. And you know the coaches. That alone says you need to watch this game. But did you know that Alabama's Jalen Hurts has only 1 INT this season? Something tells me that won't last inside the Superdome.
But here's a match-up worth watching: Travis Etienne and the Clemson run-game verses the Alabama defense. All of those young players on 'Bama's defense that struggled in November has had time to get up to speed, but I think Travis [with his 13 TD's] is due for a big game. Can the Tide handle it?)
My prediction: Alabama 27-21 (Which means if my picks hold, we'll have an all-SEC final. Sorry, ESPN.)
Now if you excuse me, I've got some "pre-partying" to do. I'll check back later.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl predictions (Final part: January 1st)

First of all, happy new year to everyone! And secondly, it's gonna be 19 degrees in Atlanta when the Peach Bowl kicks off?! Oh, GOD! Is this cold wave EVER going to end?!

...Well, it IS nice to know it's not just me that's feeling the squeeze. So let's forget about the weather (for now) and deal with today's games: (All times are Eastern)

Chick-Fill-A Peach Bowl: UCF vs. Auburn [12:30, ESPN]:
Time for the now-annual worry fest that follows whenever a "Group of Five" school faces a "Power 5" team in the "New Year's Six". Boise State won in 2014, Houston won in 2015, and Western Michigan almost pulled it off in 2016. Now Central Florida's phenomenal story will be coming to Atlanta with that high-powered offense and Scott Frost leading the way.
In his final game at UCF [he'll be off to Nebraska afterwards]. Facing an Auburn team that defeated Alabama. Who had time to prep, and has a QB that can stay in lockstep with UCF's wonder-kid.)
My prediction: Auburn 38-31
Other big games:
Outback Bowl: Michigan vs. South Carolina [12:00, ESPN2]
(This one's actually pretty easy to call: South Carolina's defense has had some good performances this year, and they're a LITTLE jealous of all the attention Michigan's been getting recently. Plus, I...
Wait a second. Isn't Shea Patterson coming over to Michigan to play quarterback? Wait, he won't be available for Jim Harbaugh for the game? Okay, never mind.)
My prediction: South Carolina 21-17

Overton's Citrus Bowl: Notre Dame vs. LSU [1:00, ABC]
(...I'm starting to REALLY hate the state of Florida right now; why is it still so WARM over in Orlando right now- Wait. Temperatures could dip below freezing over there during the week? Never mind...
Shoot, the game! Well, LSU's QB Danny Etling wanted to go to Notre Dame right out of high school, but the Irish didn't recruit him. So Etling's quest to prove the Irish wrong + LSU's solid defense + Notre Dame dealing with absences [TE Alize Mack is suspended and WR Kevin Stepherson is hurt] should = a good day for Ed Orgeron.)
My prediction: LSU 24-14

Wait a minute... Did I just predict a clean sweep for the SEC on New Year's Day? ...Man, I REALLY hope this doesn't come back to bite me in the @$$.

Last edited:

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CFP Semifinals Recap

Oops. The ONE time that I get BOTH of my semifinal picks correct, it was TWO SEC TEAMS that pulled it off.

For the Sugar Bowl, we saw Clemson peeing all over themselves as Alabama's D ran them over.

Georgia vs. Oklahoma - Game Summary - January 1, 2018 - ESPN But as for the Rose Bowl, DADGUM did we get another all-timer! Jake Fromm (once again) showed us wisdom beyond his years, and Sonny Michel came away with 181 yards, 3-TD's, and (maybe later) a spot in the Rose Bowl Hall of Fame.

:( Sorry, Baker Mayfield. I REALLY wanted to see you guys against 'Bama in the title game.
Baker: "No hard feelings. You did all that you can do."

Rating for the Sugar Bowl: 2.25 stars
Rating for the Rose Bowl: 4.5 stars

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other big bowl games

And actually, the rest of yesterday's bowls weren't too bad.

For the Outback Bowl, Michigan DID show some flashes of brilliance, but South Carolina undressed them in the end. Shea Patterson can't come soon enough for Jim Harbaugh.
For the Citrus Bowl, don't feel bad, LSU fans. I didn't know about Ian Book's talents until this game, either.

UCF vs. Auburn - Game Summary - January 1, 2018 - ESPN And as for the Peach Bowl, Central Florida's record tells the whole story. A fine win in Atlanta as UCF gave Crimson Tide fans a wonderful day... much to our chagrin.

Rating for the Outback Bowl: 2.75 stars
Rating for the Citrus Bowl: 3 stars
Rating for the Peach Bowl: 3.5 stars

ktg8trgrl

Go Gators!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see that happening, if both of them play good games.

Clemson should already know what they are going to do. Crowd the l.o.s. and force Hurts
to beat them with his arm. Auburn exposed him.

OU is a bit different. They need to come out firing on all cylinders. Fromm, as good as he is,
ain't gonna lead any big comeback. He's been excellent in his role as a game manager. But
he ain't gonna lead anybody back from a two score deficit late in a ball game.

OU must move the ball on offense and score TD's and then they need to crowd that l.o.s.
and force UGA to beat them throwing it.
umm .. well yeah..yeah he did.. js:dhd:

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
National title prediction!

Almost forgot about this little beauty. The game where nearly EVERYONE from the South will be glued to their TV's (while everyone else will wait for programs like "Better Late Than Never", and "The Bachelor").

...Just know that Georgia's quarterback Jake Fromm will need to have the game of his life if the Bulldogs are to crack that Alabama defense. Otherwise, I'm finally going to get a national title pick correct!
My prediction: Alabama 28-21