• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Our Bowl prediction thread for 2017-18 (Featuring Clemson/Bama, Part III)

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ready, set, bowl! Picking 41 winners, including the national champion

This is how ESPN does bowl predictions: All at once, so that they can stroke the fires. For me, I take it slowly: Dissect the bowls one at a time, and see what's what.
As for you guys, I'm sure you have your own ways of picking a winner, and they're all welcome as we'll break down the bowl season right here.

And it'll all lead up to... Clemson vs. 'Bama, Part 3! (SO amped for that one)

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ready, set, bowl! Picking 41 winners, including the national champion

This is how ESPN does bowl predictions: All at once, so that they can stroke the fires. For me, I take it slowly: Dissect the bowls one at a time, and see what's what.
As for you guys, I'm sure you have your own ways of picking a winner, and they're all welcome as we'll break down the bowl season right here.

And it'll all lead up to... Clemson vs. 'Bama, Part 3! (SO amped for that one)
Hate to say it but I think this year the ACC may crap the bed in terms of bowl wins. I can see VT, UVA, Miami, Wake and BC all losing. Either way this bowl season is most intriguing with many of the match-ups.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate to say it but I think this year the ACC may crap the bed in terms of bowl wins. I can see VT, UVA, Miami, Wake and BC all losing. Either way this bowl season is most intriguing with many of the match-ups.

I tend to agree. Each of the losses you mentioned may well come to fruition. Then again, a lot of these matchups could be a good bounce as a deciding factor.

Speaking towards the VT vs. OSU game, it's going to be a struggle with OSU's offense, but Foster can contain them compared to their averages. However, even considering the lack of defense on OSU, I think it'll be difficult for VT's offense to keep up in a shootout. If the game is in the 20's or low 30's, I like our chances. However,if it gets to high 30's or the 40's, I don't think we can keep up.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So they got Oklahoma vs Clemson in the Championship game. I'm good with that.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big 10 actually has a favorable bowl schedule for once. I'm sure certain teams will still crap the bed though.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
stanford tcu should be a fun matchup assuming everyone suits up. wouldn’t be surprised to see a few stanford players pull a mccaffery and sit it out.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So they got Oklahoma vs Clemson in the Championship game. I'm good with that.

I could see that happening, if both of them play good games.

Clemson should already know what they are going to do. Crowd the l.o.s. and force Hurts
to beat them with his arm. Auburn exposed him.

OU is a bit different. They need to come out firing on all cylinders. Fromm, as good as he is,
ain't gonna lead any big comeback. He's been excellent in his role as a game manager. But
he ain't gonna lead anybody back from a two score deficit late in a ball game.

OU must move the ball on offense and score TD's and then they need to crowd that l.o.s.
and force UGA to beat them throwing it.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl predictions! (Part 1: Saturday, December 16th)

Well, it's that time again! Time to see who has the stamina and mental toughness needed to win a bowl game. And time to see what weird grab-bags all the football players will receive from this exercise.
And Saturday is a great place to start, with 5 bowl games to look at and rate (6 if you count the Celebration Bowl [GO GRAMBLING!]). So let's get started:

R&L-Carriers New Orleans Bowl: Troy vs. North Texas [1:00, ESPN] (I heard that both of these coaching staffs know each other personally, so that's a good place to start. Plus, we've got 2 QB's I've actually heard of: Brandon Silvers [making his final start for Troy] and Mason Fine [who's got 3,749 yards passing for UNT].
Just one problem: Last time I saw North Texas, Lane Kiffin was beating their brains out. So will UNT have the momentum on defense to win this one?)
My prediction: Troy 35-28 (Looks like that's a no. Should still be a fun watch, though.)

Autonation Cure Bowl: Georgia State vs. Western Kentucky [2:30, CBS Sports Network] (For the 2nd time in 3 seasons, Georgia State bounces back from adversity to find their way to Orlando for a bowl game. And they've got WR Penny Hart and a improving defense to thank for that.
Problem is, the Hilltoppers are not thrilled about going 6-6 this season [and you can thank that god-awful O-line for that], so if Georgia State can't get to Mike White it'll be a long day for them.)
My prediction: Western Kentucky 27-21

Las Vegas Bowl: Boise State vs. Oregon [3:30, ABC]
(Wait a second, ESPN! Now you're saying that "Mario Cristobal is coaching for his job in this bowl game"? Sheesh, he just got hired! And besides, Justin Herbert will be playing for Oregon; the Ducks are a better team with him around!
Wait a moment... Aren't we paying too much attention to the Ducks right now? Doesn't Boise State have Brett Rypien and a defense that's not too bad? And isn't Boise getting a little jealous of all the attention you're giving Oregon?)
My prediction: Boise State 38-34

Gilden New Mexico Bowl: Marshall vs. Colorado State [4:30, ESPN]
(Huh... Marshall's now making it's 4th bowl trip in 5 seasons. Guess the 2016 season WAS just a little hiccup for the Herd. But momentum is NOT on their side after they went 1-4 to end the regular season.
That same thing happened to the Rams; after starting 6-2 they lost 3 of their last 4. Thing is, I think Colorado State is more battle-tested than the Herd. And their passing game should be the difference with WR Michael Gallup going wild.)
My prediction: Colorado State 31-17

Raycom Media Camellia Bowl: Middle Tennessee vs. Arkansas State [8:00, ESPN]
(I was gonna mock Middle Tennessee for beating Syracuse and then going 5-5 the rest of the way, but I won't. Not with all the injuries MTSU suffered this season. Plus, Blue Raiders fans should be in Montgomery en-mass for this one.
On the side of the Red Wolves, they did NOT have a injury problem this year. In fact, 19 ASU players received some form of postseason award. So unless MTSU stops Justice Hansen and his passing attack, expect the Wolves to win.)
My prediction: Arkansas State 38-20

So, are you exhausted yet? You better not! We've still got 34 bowls to go!

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not per the last time they played[/QUOTE
giphy.gif

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
December 16th bowl recap

As for the rest of the bowls from Saturday...

Over in New Orleans, North Texas certainly had their chances. But Brandon Slivers and Troy were not to be denied as they grab their 11th win. Is a year-end national ranking in their future?

Boise will certainly keep theirs as they win in Vegas over Oregon. And by the way, I'm holding off on judging Mario Cristobal 'till next season.
And as for Georgia State, imagine this: 3 months ago, they lost to Tennessee STATE. Now they've got a winning season and a bowl trophy!

Rating for the New Orleans Bowl: 2.25 stars
Rating for the Las Vegas Bowl: 2.25 stars
Rating for the Cure Bowl: 2 stars

And in case you're curious, I've started 2-3 in bowl picks (2-4 if you count Grambling's loss in the Celebration Bowl). Not a good start for me... but I'll try again tomorrow!

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl predictions (Part 2: Tuesday through Thursday)

Well, it's only 1 week 'till Christmas. And right now I'm getting into the spirit of it all. How? By listening to Chuck Berry's "Run Rudolph Run" on Music Choice.

As for the world of college football, most of you are probably waiting 'till after Christmas. That's when all the REAL good bowls begin! But until then, we can take a look at these bowls instead: (All times are Eastern, and all games on ESPN)

Tomorrow:
Cheribundi Tart Cherry Boca Raton Bowl: Florida Atlantic vs. Akron [7:00]
(Alright... Let's address the elephant in the room. No, it's not the 22-point spread FAU has to cover. It's about the sponsor Cheribundi. You know, when I think about it, sponsoring a bowl game is actually not a bad ploy to promote your "restorative cherry juice".
...Wait. I'm supposed to preview a football game here, right? Well, there IS a good coaching match-up here [Lane Kiffin vs. Terry Bowden]. But if Terry is gonna have ANY chance to win here, he MUST stop Devin Singletary and the legs that got him 29 TD's)
My prediction: Florida Atlantic 31-21 (Careful, FAU, this might not be the blowout you think it's gonna be!)

Wednesday:
DXL Frisco Bowl: SMU vs. Louisiana Tech [8:00]
(Here's a new one! A new bowl game in Frisco, Texas where they have things like... A VIDEO GAME HALL OF FAME?! :cloud9:
...Oops, I got distracted again. On that note, you think SMU will be distracted by the departure of their head coach Chad Morris [He's now with the Arkansas Razorbacks]? Well, with Ben Hicks still with the Mustangs, maybe not.)
My prediction: SMU 38-24

Thursday:
Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl: Temple vs. Florida International (8:00)
(Oh, man! What the hell is a "Gasparilla"? Does it have something to do with Gasparilla Island off the coast of Florida, or the Gasparilla Pirate Festival in Tampa? Or maybe this bowl game's advertising both?
Dammit, I got distracted again!
Ahem... Back to business. You know... I think this is the first time EVER that both FAU and FIU is in a bowl game in the same season! And with Alex McGough ready to go, the Golden Panthers are feeling confident. Yet, why does ESPN have Temple as a 63% favorite? Could it be that the Owls offense is getting better with every game they play? Hmmm... I want to pull the upset trigger...)
My prediction: Florida International 27-21 (...but I can't.)

And by the way, "National Signing Day" for early signings is tomorrow, in case anybody cares.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boca Raton Bowl

:lame:
So this WAS the blow-out everyone thought it would be. Just ignore the game. It's better this way.

My bowl rating: 1.25 stars

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl predictions: Part 3 (December 22nd)

This is just a little update, as I fight off a bad case of the hiccups to preview a pair of bowl games that'll be on Friday. (Both games on ESPN, and both times are Eastern)

Bahamas Bowl: UAB vs. Ohio [12:30] (Did you know that Ohio's QB Nathan Rourke has ties to the state of Alabama? It's true; he went to Edgewood Academy in Elwood, Alabama. And I'll bet the UAB Blazers don't care about that bit of trivia; they're in the freaking Bahamas right now!
So in only the 4th-ever Bahamas Bowl, what can we expect? Well, don't expect too much passing; both teams have great secondaries. So I guess the rushing game will carry the day...)
My prediction: Ohio 24-17 (...and the Bobcats has the better one.)

Famous Idaho Potato Bowl: Central Michigan vs. Wyoming [4:00] (So Wyoming's Josh Allen is trying to shrug off an injury and play in this bowl game in Boise, eh? Maybe he wants to show his stuff for the NFL scouts who MAY take him in the 1st round of the upcoming NFL draft... or maybe he remembers what happened to Oregon in Las Vegas when Royce Freeman sat out.
But amidst all of this talk about Josh Allen, Central Michigan is stewing. The Chippewas enter this game on a 5-game win streak, a good QB of their own in Shane Morris, and the memory of losing 55-16 in their last bowl game.)
My prediction: Central Michigan 31-24

And now, let's all hope that tonight's Frisco Bowl will be better than last night's debacle...

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frisco Bowl

:L
Tremendous. Not only was this bowl game a bust as well, but SMU didn't even show UP! This bowl season is off to a VERY rough start.

My bowl rating: 1.5 stars