• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OU @ WVU my impression

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think OUr defense will get after the WVU QB a lot better than Bama did the first game. My biggest concern is the offense being ineffective. I think WVU will score some points on us and I hope we can keep pace. Getting in a hole early would be bad for the Sooners. Maryland was able to throw the ball on WVU so I expect us to be able to especially since one of their corners just got suspended. Not feeling as confident about this game after last Saturday watching the offense kick field goals instead of scoring TD's. What do you guys think?

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our Offense seems exciting but I don't think it's really all that productive. We've looked good against 3 mediocre teams. We could have looked bad and won, but at least we looked good.

I don't know if Heupel is saving some imagination for West Virginia, but knowing Heupel, I doubt it.
The worst thing that could happen is for us to need to change up our Offensive Thinking during the game. Heupel can't do that yet. If we get behind by a couple of TD's, it's going to be hard.

The Defense I think is legit. They have dominated bad teams, but looked really good doing it.
WVU is going to be much better passing the ball, and I'm not that confident in our secondary.

Whether West Virginia is actually a good team or not is yet to be seen.
Same with us.

If we can just squeak out a win I'll be happy. Looking good or bad doing it doesn't matter to me at all.

Coming off a big game with Tennessee has me most concerned from a mental aspect.
We will see if Oklahoma is a contender or a pretender this game.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the defense will be key and I agree about trips to the red zone only resulting in 3 points. If the front seven are able to pressure Trickett like the have the opposing QBs in the first 3 games look for some turnovers...the secondary will have to play tight coverage. The offense needs to pound the ball until WVU shows it can stop the run, Bama not only passed on WVU they ran well too.

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outsider here.

How are your special teams? Ours seem to be like my golf game... Consistently inconsistent. A great play then a terrible one.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outsider here.

How are your special teams? Ours seem to be like my golf game... Consistently inconsistent. A great play then a terrible one.

Best they've been in a long time.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, this game is all about our defense and run game. With them missing a corner we should be able to pick on their secondary some, but I think the key to success is possessing the ball and imposing our will their defense. Ross and Perine will both be important there and I see a big day for Perine. We have the personnel to do what Alabama did with their run game. Then let knight burn them on some play action and zone reads. I do agree though, if we for some reason get behind a couple scores I'm not sure heupel has what it takes to get us back. Fortunately, I think the D keeps us in it, even if the offense struggles. I also share some concern with not punching in a couple red zone opportunities against Tennessee. With our running game, that's not acceptable.

As far as defense goes, I think our defense gives Trickett nightmares. I think he'll be on his back or hurrying his throws a lot and I think we create some turn overs. Our D is better than Bama's and is designed to handle an attack like WVU's (unlike bama). I think WVU is a good team, but I think this team is legit and we win by 10.

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outsider here.

Kick off - Good lots of touchback. Had a 100 yard return this season.

Punt team - Okay our return man is new and isn't sure when to bring it out or make a fair catch. Also our punter holds the ball too long.

Field Goal - Excellent best we have had since Garrett Hartley and our defense has blocked a couple of kicks this year. They also had a long kick blocked but that can happen on long ones.

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me it comes down to offense. How well does the line block, how well does Trevor Knight follow his reads.

The game with the Vol's the defense looked amazing, heck all season they looked great. But OU was something like 3-15 on third downs. Pretty much the defense stayed out on the field for close the entire 3rd quarter and half of the 4th. You could tell that by mid 4th quarter the defense was worn out. You can't do that against WVU, the offense needs to say out on the field long enough to give the defense a breather.

So, I have confidence in our defense but can the offense stay out on the field?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me it comes down to offense. How well does the line block, how well does Trevor Knight follow his reads.

The game with the Vol's the defense looked amazing, heck all season they looked great. But OU was something like 3-15 on third downs. Pretty much the defense stayed out on the field for close the entire 3rd quarter and half of the 4th. You could tell that by mid 4th quarter the defense was worn out. You can't do that against WVU, the offense needs to say out on the field long enough to give the defense a breather.

So, I have confidence in our defense but can the offense stay out on the field?

To be fair, that wasn't completely the offenses fault. Our D kept themselves on the field with a couple of penalties when they had a stop, and then there was the punt that was recovered by Tennessee after it bounced off one of our blockers. However, they do need to be better on third down.