• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Other Crap

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Astros win their first WS and Dodgers fans know the old saying. "Wait till next year."

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the phrase "Doing it the Houston way" Isn't so bad

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston has a legitimate lineup, with possible upgrade needed behind the plate. The veteran McCann there was a nice touch. I look for them to upgrade their bullpen. I'd say ... Iglesias for Correa. Yeah .. well, how much for just the ring?

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanton reportedly goes to Yankees. Does anyone outside of New York think this is good for baseball?

I will never forget what Bowie Kuhn did when the Reds traded for Vida Blue. He said it wasn't good for baseball and vedoed the trade. But that was in the mid 70's and this is 40 years later. And Cincinnati is not New York.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB isn't doing it for the best interests of baseball now.
I will be interested to see if Boston tries to keep pace.
We know Baldy and Tampa won't. Toronto might.
Either way, teams like the Reds and the Rays will just get picked apart.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe there will be a day in the not to distant future. That teams start going under, because they just can't keep up the pace. Teams with the money can compete teams without it can't.

Its been 40+ year sense free agency came into affect. There wasn't a lot change at first, but as time goes on , and salaries keep going up. It's making a big difference.

Teams like the Reds are working on a 5 to 6 year windows, then the decent player are gone. And they start over again. The teams with money doesn't even need to develop players they use the minors to stock pile them.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe there will be a day in the not to distant future. That teams start going under, because they just can't keep up the pace. Teams with the money can compete teams without it can't.

Its been 40+ year sense free agency came into affect. There wasn't a lot change at first, but as time goes on , and salaries keep going up. It's making a big difference.

Teams like the Reds are working on a 5 to 6 year windows, then the decent player are gone. And they start over again. The teams with money doesn't even need to develop players they use the minors to stock pile them.
I think we should just be happy to be in a pennant race every 10 years or so.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't have any other choice, Life is to short to worry about things that are out of out of my control . Right now I would just be happy to win 81 games.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over the past fifty years there have been changes that narrowed the competitive advantage the larger markets teams enjoy. But at the end of the day they've proven overall to be nominal at best.

Charlie Finley was the first small market owner to try and cash out before the talent walked away. Despite winning three consecutive. WS titles the A's averaged less than 1m fans per season. Free agency was more than enough to put the final nail in the coffin of their dynasty. The Reds had better attendance, but the story would have the same ending by 1982.

Blocking the Vidal Blue trade had nothing to do with Cincinnati. It was the 3rd time Finley tried to unload Vidal Blue and was blocked by Bowie Kuhn. It was just another footnote in the Charlie Finley Bowie Kuhn war. Charlie Finley sued and lost the case. The decision of the court was based on the Commisioners right to do so and not if it was the right thing to do.

Major League baseball has a history of being slow to do the right thing.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Major League baseball has a history of being slow to do the right thing.

Then when they do, they go overboard. Like putting No. 42 on every single player. Why not just have a patch?
MLB always pretends it's on top of social decorum, but it never has been.
It's clear that the Yankees intend to win the W.S. and they can pretend they have a budget for that, but they don't. Getting Stanton gives them automatic post-season. They were 1 win from the W.S. this year. That's not going to change. What will interest me is how Boston tries to compensate. The rest of the league can only hope they get lucky. They can't run that race.
The Angels are betting their fans buy tickets to watch the new Babe Ruth, who hasn't hit anything but AAA pitching.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over the past fifty years there have been changes that narrowed the competitive advantage the larger markets teams enjoy. But at the end of the day they've proven overall to be nominal at best.

But it still makes it hard for teams like the Reds to compete. You may see a good run for the Playoffs and maybe even a WS, but you will never see much consistency in doing that. Where teams with the money you might see a 3 or 4 year run at it, or better put. Reds might make the play off once in 10 years.. where the Yankees will be there 6 or 7 times

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice to see some things don't change much...you guys still talking Reds...unfortunately, the more they change baseball, the worse it gets in my view. Yankees are trying to get back to what their history says they always were- THE team that spends the most AND wins the most. I don't think it's fair, but hey, what is ? The Marlins don't get fan support, ownership has to sell off, and the media blames it all on the owner...welcome to Miami, Mr.Jeter. The Angels spend $20M just to offer Ohtani a contract, PR/propagandizing he is the first P/Hit stud since The Babe, and find out he has a bad UCL. Most teams with pending free agents are trying to trade them, preferably for handfuls of controllable future stars, the new comissioner wants a pitch clock and gambling shares ( while replay, DH, and hitters redressing every pitch is condoned, and Pete is still banned) PED users keep climbing in the HOF voting... and our Reds are silent as a church mouse so far. At least (so far) they still stand for the Anthem.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cozart signs a deal with the Angels.
I really don't know what to make of that, but he can -- being in the AL -- DH from time to time if his quad starts to bother him. I think the Reds will miss this guy more than they missed Frazier or Phillips.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Reds will miss this guy more than they missed Frazier or Phillips

The defense hasn't improved with the departure of Cozart and Phillips, but both were showing signs of decline. Nevertheless the current options up the middle may always be inferior to those two and may require an eventual upgrade. I think Suarez's defense improved enough last season to equate to an upgrade at 3rd.

With the initial departure there appears to be a drop off, but Frazier and Phillips are both in decline. I'd say the same could be true for Cozart moving forward.

At some point it's always out with the old and in with the new.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense hasn't improved with the departure of Cozart and Phillips, but both were showing signs of decline. Nevertheless the current options up the middle may always be inferior to those two and may require an eventual upgrade. I think Suarez's defense improved enough last season to equate to an upgrade at 3rd.

With the initial departure there appears to be a drop off, but Frazier and Phillips are both in decline. I'd say the same could be true for Cozart moving forward.

At some point it's always out with the old and in with the new.
All fans lament the changing of faces. I recall going back to the winter of 1960 when the Redlegs traded Roy McMillan to the Braves. Mac was the BESTEST EVER shortstop. I was 14, what the hell did I know. Cincy got Juan Pizzaro, a lefty, and Joey Jay, a 4th starter, for Mac. They flipped Pizzaro to the White Sox for a beat-up third baseman named Gene Freese.

Then they traded Johnny Temple, the BESTEST EVER 2nd baseman, to the Indians for a beat-up first baseman named Gordy Coleman.

Then they traded Ed Bailey, THE ALMOST BESTEST EVER catcher, to the Giants for a beat-up 2nd baseman named Don Blasingame.

They they had a bunch of beat-up guys who came together and did the most amazing baseball thing in my WHOLE DAMNED LIFE. The pennant in 1961. I cannot ever relive the thrill of that season, and it made the pain of losing Little Mac, Strawberry Plains, and Keystone Johnny all worth it.

I will forever wish to see such a transformation of a team such as that, but I know I never will.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be young and idealistic again.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw where the Rays traded Longoria to the Giants.

It's starting to appear teams are more willing to trade prospects than give away draft picks as compensation for high price free agents.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Longoria probably makes the Giants a bit of a contender again but that team was in disarray all season.

As I recall, Longo was cheap meat with that contract. I don't think that will happen twice but I have no idea how good he really is.

The Rays probably are going into hibernation again.

Phils signed Santana. I can see them swinging a few more FA deals.