• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: What would make Ted Leonsis a "Great" Owner?

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@skinsdad62
@Sportster 72

Skinsdad because we've been getting other franchise members posting I'm hoping you'd let this slide.
The concept came from the fire Bruce thread and had to do with Leonsis becoming the owner of the Redskins. Sportster said Ted was not a "great" owner. I know that can be interpreted many different ways.
However he has had success with his NHL, NBA and other teams. Is championship(s) the sole thing lacking to make him great or is he already great?

BTW this is not a dig at Sportster but rather he helped inspire something different.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Ted has too much loyalty. I think overall he is a good owner. He has a tendency to stick with someone he might be better off replacing. I feel like the coaches the Caps have had have been a let down. I think Ernie has done some good things with the Wiz but he has done some bad things too.

If I was giving Ted a grade a grade it would be B+ or A-. Maybe it is just bad luck. The Caps have lost to the eventual Stanley Cup winner I think at least 3 times. Kind of reminds me of the days when they always lost to the Islanders who then went on to win 4 Stanley Cups.

I think we all know the NBA requires luck too. You have to get a Magic, Bird, Michael, Shaq, Kobe, James or KD or have Pop as your coach to go all the way. I think they brought Brooks here in an attempt to get KD. I'd like to see him stay awhile.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@skinsdad62
@Sportster 72

Skinsdad because we've been getting other franchise members posting I'm hoping you'd let this slide.
The concept came from the fire Bruce thread and had to do with Leonsis becoming the owner of the Redskins. Sportster said Ted was not a "great" owner. I know that can be interpreted many different ways.
However he has had success with his NHL, NBA and other teams. Is championship(s) the sole thing lacking to make him great or is he already great?

BTW this is not a dig at Sportster but rather he helped inspire something different.
i am not sure he is "great " because that means so much so lets move the conversation to this

how did the franchises he own look like before his ownership ? then during / after ? next , how does he treat his employees and does he let then do their jobs ,or does he interfere at a snyder level ? and then finally do you have a reasonable expectation he will spend money to win and yet further do you think he can ?

the best you can hope for as a fan of a team is , is there a reasonable expectation that he can keep a team competitive for championships and perhaps get a few

now what do you feel like those answers are ?

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am not sure he is "great " because that means so much so lets move the conversation to this

how did the franchises he own look like before his ownership ? then during / after ? next , how does he treat his employees and does he let then do their jobs ,or does he interfere at a snyder level ? and then finally do you have a reasonable expectation he will spend money to win and yet further do you think he can ?

the best you can hope for as a fan of a team is , is there a reasonable expectation that he can keep a team competitive for championships and perhaps get a few

this is kinda what i was getting at with "great" - the NHL? i don't know the history, I do know the NBA franchise does have one title, and with rumors of cleveland breaking up, washington could be in the finals soon.
I think he could be a good NFL owner because he says the right things, but is patient when improvement is shown.
I've heard him mention building through the draft, as well as seriously evaluating Ernie and possibly firing him, but as usual Ernie does something to save his own tail. Leonsis is committed to his teams, I think another title...just one makes him great. As mentioned he has been on the wrong side of history in hockey

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep he stepped up big time. I don't know who he would replace him with but I still think Ernie needs to go.

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Kyrie goes to the western conference, we trade our picks for better players and get a capable backup point guard -- I like the Wiz in the finals in two years. Again, although he doesn't have the money -- I think he would be a good owner in the NFL...specifically DC.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if the inference is concerning Ted as a potential owner of our football team, then, all he has to do is Keep his name. If he get the notion that changing his name to D.A.N. S.N.Y.D.E.R will better serve him, we're POOP!! (Thanks @Coach)

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think that overall Leonsis has done a very good job, but I agree w/ Sportster in terms of loyalty especially w/Grunfeld.

The question about being competitive and going for championships is a tough one to answer since the dynamics of the NBA & NHL are so much different than the NFL. The NHL has a relatively low budget & cap & literally just about any team can make a run to at least the Finals in a given year. In the most recent NHL playoffs the road playoff teams either held the edge or were very close overall & it is not uncommon for the lowest seeds to make the Finals or even win everything. The Caps have had the best regular season record 2 seasons in a row & in both cases lost in the 2nd rd to the eventual champs. That is a tough one to figure out - we will see.

The NBA is very unique & becoming a champ involves skill, luck, timing and patience. The Wizards are playing catch up somewhat due to past bad moves by Grunfeld. However - they are on the rt track, but their best bet is probably just kind of sitting tight for a while & building for a title down the road. It is very hard to have that type of patience especially for an owner.

In terms of meddling - I don't think that you see much of this from Leonsis & it would almost be impossible for him to do this much given that he owns 2 teams & has to run his other businesses. He is well liked by most & has written books about being happy & successful so I don't think that he has anywhere near the bad reputation of Snyder. Would he succeed in the NFL? Who knows.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leonsis might not be the meddling type of owner and lately (past few seasons) his teams have given area fans a feel good across the board waiting for the Redskins to actually do anything. Having said that, if you don't think Leonsis didn't have say in the resigning's of Beal, Porter and now Wall, you better think again. Ted is right in the middle of ALL of it as it's his money. He has been such a breathe of fresh air compared to Snyder.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leonsis might not be the meddling type of owner and lately (past few seasons) his teams have given area fans a feel good across the board waiting for the Redskins to actually do anything. Having said that, if you don't think Leonsis didn't have say in the resigning's of Beal, Porter and now Wall, you better think again. Ted is right in the middle of ALL of it as it's his money. He has been such a breathe of fresh air compared to Snyder.

Bingo! That is pretty much exactly what you want from an owner - one who will make the rt financial commitment, hire the rt people & then basically stay out of the way. The signings that you mention are good deals & in all cases Leonsis backed it up w/ his money (which was tough especially for Porter) & the Wizards were thought to never want to pay the luxury tax (which they now must do w/ the latest deals).

Compare that to the obvious - the Redskins & by default Snyder not wanting to make the proper financial commitment to Cousins. Now Snyder has never been known as one who was not willing to spend money so this just sounds like meddling & IMO a very, very poor business decision. Time will tell.

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bloody hail I would love for the Skins to have the level of competence of The Capitals. Not to mention being as competitive as they are; making the playoffs on a regular basis.

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep he stepped up big time. I don't know who he would replace him with but I still think Ernie needs to go.

@SoCalWizFan

I agree with you guys that Ernie should be fired, BUT he saves himself every time.
Bringing in that C from Indy was terrible, trading both draft picks was questionable especially since it goes directly against Leonsis's philosphy and the organization has been hitting on their picks. Despite all those screw ups - they won the division -- which makes firing Ernie another tough decision. Also have you ever heard a Ted Leonsis interview? He has vast knowledge of his organizations, yet is humble enough to admit where he needs help or advice. I do believe a title in the NHL or NBA(additional) put him in conversation?

-- What title does Mike Rizzo hold for the nationals?

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@SoCalWizFan

I agree with you guys that Ernie should be fired, BUT he saves himself every time.
Bringing in that C from Indy was terrible, trading both draft picks was questionable especially since it goes directly against Leonsis's philosphy and the organization has been hitting on their picks. Despite all those screw ups - they won the division -- which makes firing Ernie another tough decision. Also have you ever heard a Ted Leonsis interview? He has vast knowledge of his organizations, yet is humble enough to admit where he needs help or advice. I do believe a title in the NHL or NBA(additional) put him in conversation?

-- What title does Mike Rizzo hold for the nationals?

IMO the primary reason for the Wizards success is the combo of Wall & Beal & both of those were no brainer draft picks. Beyond that Grundfeld has made some halfway decent pickups but nowhere near the amount of his screw ups. Remember this article:

The Wizards could have drafted most of the Warriors

Granted a lot of teams whiffed on certain players on the Warriors (& other teams). However - the scarier thing is some of the players that the Wizards chose instead - Mike Miller? Jan Vesely? Are you kidding me? Not to mention the fortune that they paid for Mahinmi (as you mentioned) which to date has amounted to zip. At best I say give him one more year.

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO the primary reason for the Wizards success is the combo of Wall & Beal & both of those were no brainer draft picks. Beyond that Grundfeld has made some halfway decent pickups but nowhere near the amount of his screw ups. Remember this article:

The Wizards could have drafted most of the Warriors

Granted a lot of teams whiffed on certain players on the Warriors (& other teams). However - the scarier thing is some of the players that the Wizards chose instead - Mike Miller? Jan Vesely? Are you kidding me? Not to mention the fortune that they paid for Mahinmi (as you mentioned) which to date has amounted to zip. At best I say give him one more year.

oh wow, at least that was before Leonsis. I will say, I give Erns a pass on Curry because folks misjudged his talent based on his size. Other than that, goodness yes -- he should have BEEN fired. that is awful. And you are right Wall and Beal FELL in their laps