• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: The Movies Thread

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think judges should rule on joint custody more often though? Assuming that both parents live within the same city, and can both realistically take the kid to school from either parent's location.

In joint custody, the time would be split about 50/50, right?
Yep, every other night, just kidding.

It could be weekdays for Dad in the Springtime. Weekends with Mom. Week days with Mom in the Fall. Weekends with Dad (football). Summertime, week to week.

It's hard for kids to go back and forth. It's hard for Mom's to have the school week and Dad to have fun weekends with Dad. But if I were divorced, I'd choose the longer "less fun" one.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, every other night, just kidding.

It could be weekdays for Dad in the Springtime. Weekends with Mom. Week days with Mom in the Fall. Weekends with Dad (football). Summertime, week to week.

It's hard for kids to go back and forth. It's hard for Mom's to have the school week and Dad to have fun weekends with Dad. But if I were divorced, I'd choose the longer "less fun" one.

Splitting it seasonally seems like a good idea.

Thanks.

Maybe just do an entire season at a time (don't split between weekdays sand weekends.)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Splitting it seasonally seems like a good idea.

Thanks.

Maybe just do an entire season at a time (don't split between weekdays sand weekends.)

Kids can't go months away from either parent. Believe me, from speaking to some of them, they barely can stand week days. They even don't like weekends. They want to be in one place. They want both parents together (but happy). They can't get the latter. But alternating days isn't practical and the more switching you have to do, the more often ex's have to see each other AND the more often that one parent is late or skips a day.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kids can't go months away from either parent. Believe me, from speaking to some of them, they barely can stand week days. They even don't like weekends. They want to be in one place. They want both parents together (but happy). They can't get the latter. But alternating days isn't practical and the more switching you have to do, the more often ex's have to see each other AND the more often that one parent is late or skips a day.

Oh. :(

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So do you think a joint custody with your weekday/weekend splits, and seasonal splits, are better than one parent having sole custody? Assuming both parents live in the same city, and can take the kid to school.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give Citizen Kane props for its use of directing on shots; sound; and non-linear story-telling.

There are some iconic scenes, such as Kane clapping loudly and seemingly the only one, during Susan Alexander's debut opera performance. And the dropping of the snow globe.

As well as introducing a device that keeps the viewer guessing during the movie, what "Rosebud" is.

However, with respect to the aspect of actually telling the story of Kane's life during the movie, I don't think it's so great that it is the # 1 movie of all time. It's a good movie for its era. There have been a few movies that have told the stories of interesting characters.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give Citizen Kane props for its use of directing on shots; sound; and non-linear story-telling.

There are some iconic scenes, such as Kane clapping loudly and seemingly the only one, during Susan Alexander's debut opera performance. And the dropping of the snow globe.

As well as introducing a device that keeps the viewer guessing during the movie, what "Rosebud" is.

However, with respect to the aspect of actually telling the story of Kane's life during the movie, I don't think it's so great that it is the # 1 movie of all time. It's a good movie for its era. There have been a few movies that have told the stories of interesting characters.

My wife didn't like the movie because it was so boring (but she watched it too young to know now what she'd think). She is probably too biased against it now to change her mind.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife didn't like the movie because it was so boring (but she watched it too young to know now what she'd think). She is probably too biased against it now to change her mind.

Thanks.

It definitely had a slow feel, and seemed to re-tell the same parts of the story a few times. For example, at the beginning, they played an obituary video clip reviewed his life details, such as his marriages, and how each one went.

Then later in the movie, when focusing on each of those marriages, they didn't really provide much more info that the obituary clip didn't provide. For example, we already knew the 2nd wife was going to be an alcoholic.

And it wasn't too surprising that there would be conflict with the first wife, when Kane married the President's niece, but would print articles in the newspaper that he ran, against the President, and believed in them so himself.

His first wife shouldn't have married Kane, given his views on the President, in the first place. That should have been a blocker. It's not like something that could only be discovered after marriage, I'm sure it came up before the wedding too.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you see the movie?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O Brother, Where Art Thou:

* The directing, and the detailed plot of the movie was nice. As were the historical elements of it.

Stylistically though, I don't want to call it a favorite, or really talk about this movie with others. It was just an interesting movie.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool Runnings:

Yes, some parts were fictionalized. And it was Disney-ish (because Disney produced the movie).

But good movie, very enjoyable.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amelie:

The style of this movie was very different from just about any movie I'd seen. There was constant narration for the first 30+ mins.

And it tried to be funny.

Ending was a little predictable, but still a nice movie.

The Last Of The Mohicans:

There's several different conflicts. The British, the French, the Mohawks, the Huron. Huron sided with the French, and Mohawks with the British, but each could act independently too.

It's nice to see a movie during a setting that I don't usually see.

I didn't enjoy watching a movie though that's so much about conflict.

Dances With Wolves, for example, at least provides some humor and positive interactions between cultures, before the ending.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Birth: It was appropriately awkward and creepy. The style of movie was my kind of movie.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
City Of God:

The movie is is rural and violent. It's rougher to get into than American crime dramas, IMO.

Once you get to know the characters, the storytelling and plot is good.

Most of the actors were authentic, and had no professional acting experience. They were trained in actors' workshops.

It was really hard to follow the subtitles. The letters were white, but much of the background was light, making it hard to see the contrast. The subtitles also moved too quickly from one camera shot to the next.

Other than that, it was a good movie, for how authentic and gritty it was. You have to be ready to watch it, though.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Breakfast Club:

I think the broader themes of youth vs. authority; and how all of the teens related to each other, are greater than the individual moments within the movie. Some of it was a little boring.

But the broader themes of all of the character personalities, and the issues they were having, were more important. Especially how they all commonly had somewhat strained relationships with their parents.

Pretty In Pink:

This movie was short, but focused. Not a single useless theme.

Interesting about the class dynamics with the upper vs. the less wealthy. And interesting the good relationship Andie had with her father, even though he was struggling with employment. And how Andie's mother was the one that had left them, and Andie was quicker to accept it than her father.

And interesting that the wealthy girls would rather be punished, than to apologize to Andie or her friend Benny.

Benny didn't want to apologize to the wealthy girls either.

Memorable line "I hope they shrivel up and fall off!"

Good movie.

Jules and Jim:

I liked how Jules and Jim remained friends throughout the movie. They didn't let a girl come between their friendship. They didn't have one fight about her either, not one argument.

It would have been typical of a movie or TV show for 2 guys to have a fight about liking the same girl, or for 2 girls to have a fight about liking the same guy.

In fact, Jules and Jim sort of found a way to share Catherine, in their own way.

I was surprised at this:

Catherine committing suicide and killing both herself and Jim, by driving off a bridge.

I didn't think that :

A) Jim would want to see Catherine alone again, after she had pulled a gun on him. But he got into the car with her alone.

B) Catherine would really kill Jim. I know the stress of not being able to have a baby with Jim, got to them both, and they took it out on each other and held resentment toward the other.

But ultimately, I thought they would leave it at that, at hating/resenting one another. I didn't think any one of them, Catherine in this case, would go as far as killing a lover.

Interesting relationship between the three of them, Jules, Jim, and Catherine.

The moments Jules and Jim each had with Sabine were nice.

Good movie.

Where would Jeanne Moreau rank as a femme noir?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
High And Low:

Watched this movie. (Had it on my DVR since last year).

I think this is the first Japanese movie I've seen. (Had subtitles).

The plot of the crime, and then the detective work, was very detailed. Especially with how they put clues together. I wasn't expecting that level of detail from a 1960s movie.

It was also very sordid, when they got to the topic of heroin addicts, and the area where they resided. Especially with how one addict was going to exchange sex for drugs. I just didn't think that level of depravity and helplessness (by the addicts) would be depicted, from a movie from that era.

I'm also not sure why there were 4 - 6 Black people at the dance club / bar in Japan. Since when is there a Black population in Japan?

EDIT: Someone explained that post WW2, there was a US Naval presence still there.

One issue I had when watching "The Third Man", was that there were no roles for women in the public. Not one police officer (especially during the police swarm), doctor, etc. I don't know if it was a reflection of society at that time, or just the film makers and their casting of roles, but it was off putting.

"High and Low" was similar. There was only one female supporting character (Gondo's wife), then the rest were either extras in the bar / night club, or heroin addicts. However, the lack of women didn't bother me as much, because the scope of the story had less characters. They were out in public less, and thus just interacting with the public less. Maybe a bar tender or florist could have been female, but those scenes were very quick. Yes, I noticed how none of the doctors or medical interns were female. That, or the police force, or a reporter, were other opportunities to put them. But most of the reporters, and minor police officers, didn't even have speaking roles, so there's not much they could have done. About the best they could have done was have one of the police officers be a female police officer.

Whereas in "The Third Man", there were just more characters overall, and more scenes interacting with the public, IMO. Either the writer Holly Martins, or Dr. Winkel, or someone from the British police, or someone related to the penicillin black market scheme, could have been a female with a speaking role. Just when the screen play was written, someone in the professional workplace, could have been female.

These things just stand out to me more, as movies that take place in modern times have more integrated cast members across race and gender.

Overall, I liked "High and Low" a lot, for the level of detail regarding the business management (the owners); the criminal scheme; the detective work to capture the criminal, as well as how reporters were used; and even the scenes with the shoe factory workers; or train ransom exchange. This also didn't have any cheesy characters, as can sometimes be in old movies. The criminal also didn't seem cheesy or like he was over-acting.

Mud:

I wasn't sure if I was going to like this southern movie when it started. I was also having flashbacks to the beginning of "The Client". I remember watching that movie rental, and my dad got mad at my sister for renting that for me. He didn't like how they showed a kid smoking, and said it would be a bad influence on me. He also didn't like violence in movies, and prevented me from seeing that as much as possible. The sad joke at the time was that my 4 year old cousin saw the movie "Speed", and said he saw an exciting movie with "no guns". But that I, much older than he, couldn't watch that.

Anyways, back to "Mud". They do a good job of drawing you into Mud's life, and his relationship with Juniper, as well as the two boys. From the outside, it was easy to see that Tom Blankenship's advice was that he and Juniper would never work, and he should stop hanging onto her, was good.

Once the movie got going, I wanted to see what would happen with Mud's predicament, being a wanted man and stuck on that island, and needing a repaired boat to escape.

Thrilling and exciting ending.

Good movie, good characters.

Also interesting as to how Ellis calls people not living on the river, as "townies". He views people living on the river as different from them.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every time I see a TV show with a longtime married couple having sex, shortly afterwards, either they start having marital troubles, or their marital troubles resurface.

The euphoria after their sex doesn't last long. Sometimes they even start to get disenchanted during the post coital talking.

It doesn't seem like TV paints longterm marriage in a positive light.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every time I see a TV show with a longtime married couple having sex, shortly afterwards, either they start having marital troubles, or their marital troubles resurface.

The euphoria after their sex doesn't last long. Sometimes they even start to get disenchanted during the post coital talking.

It doesn't seem like TV paints longterm marriage in a positive light.

The other outcome of a longtime married couple having sex is also a pregnancy scare or a new pregnancy.

Then, either the pregnancy scare causes the couple to grow apart, or the pregnancy does, or after the kid is born, then that does.

Again, it doesn't seem like TV shows a longtime married couple having sex, growing closer, and remaining closer.