• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Target got got (de facto Bad Cyber Stuff thread)

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Follow up:
Researcher Who Stopped WannaCry Ransomware Detained in US After Def Con

Smart British dude who figured out the bad guys' mistake and essentially killed the WannaCry malware gave a presentation at a security conference and was nabbed by the FBI before he got on a plane to go home.

He has been moved since and there is no word on what the arrest was for.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tumblr_nkjzauTfdD1qgwefso1_250.gif

So not only are they one of the agencies that reports on everyone's credit, they also are one of the main companies providing Identity Theft monitoring for people whose information has been breached in other data thefts. Like if a company got breached and your information was taken, that company probably pays Equifax on your behalf for IDTheft monitoring. Realistically, if your info has *ever* been taken it just got exposed again.

Literally the only product that company sells is trust.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, I hope they get to still have lunch together in prison.

They are scum.

Apparently my info was part of the breach, but not my wife.

The website that Equifax stood up for information was insecure as well and extremely vulnerable to impersonation by bad guys. I haven't seen any information that bad guys have exploited it, but it was possible right from teh get go.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My info was part of the breach....looks like i need to get off the grid for a while.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My info was part of the breach....looks like i need to get off the grid for a while.

My identity (and my wife's) was stolen last year. Credit cards and everything. I was pisssssssed!!

Then I realized they were spending less than the wife. I just let them keep all that shit and got a new credit card under the name Ronald Mexico. Everything is coming up Kenn.... I mean Ronny!!!

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i read that selling shares story last night at about the same i time i read about an amazon employee pleading guilty to insider trading after selling earmings info to one of his frat bros for 10K and wondered if the long arm of the law was going to come down as heavy on the 3 equifax execs :think: lol

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My identity (and my wife's) was stolen last year. Credit cards and everything. I was pisssssssed!!

My info has been part of three breaches. Just lucky I guess.

At this point, it almost makes sense to stand up an agency and give ID Theft services as a basic right. Instead of making people pay for the service, it should be universal. Might take the incentive out of it for the bad guys.

I expect smart banks to offer this protection as a benefit for moving your money to them. I know I would if I got free IDTheft monitoring. It makes getting your money back a lot easier.

i read that selling shares story last night at about the same i time i read about an amazon employee pleading guilty to insider trading after selling earmings info to one of his frat bros for 10K and wondered if the long arm of the law was going to come down as heavy on the 3 equifax execs :think: lol

Considering Equifax was the company that handled the IDTheft protection for the government Office of Personnel Management breach, which had info on pretty much every government official past or present, I have the feeling there will be bipartisan support for throwing the book at these three. Just a hunch.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow ... these fuckers :L

Doesn't really matter., any class action lawsuit won't get much because the company is probably not going to survive this. They will be out of business in 3 years.

But still... fuckers.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's ok though, they totally didn't even know about the breach

I actually wouldn't find that hard to believe. These three guys saved themselves what from those trades, a few hundred grand between them? And they're worth how many millions already? I'm not saying they definitely didn't know, but I think that they're probably all smart enough to see what a stupid risk that is so I'm not going to go into it assuming that they did.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you live in an area with Kroger grocery stores and use your cards at their self checkouts, keep a close eye on your statements.

Especially for transactions at Kroger Gas Stations.