• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT - PGA News and Notes

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^ I'm aware it's a wacky format but still, Furyk must be playing lights out.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Police release details on crash involving Bud Cauley

bonus James Wisneiwski update
(a few broken ribs for him)

I am going to guess alcohol was a factor. I don't know the specific neighborhood where it happened, but I have been to the course and all the residential streets around there are narrow and winding. It would take a bit of effort to get a car to the point where it's airborne.

Justin Thomas was supposed to be in the car, too...

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn manboobs getting in the way again lining up those putts.

:bolt:

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched Phil's explanation and he basically said he intentionally took the two stroke penalty for hitting a moving ball because he thought it would actually help him save strokes on that hole. It's pretty brazen to intentionally break a rule of golf and you wonder if a player who doesn't have the cachet of Phil might have been immediately disqualified.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cut was +8 and that score is currently tied for 17th.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
It's pretty brazen to intentionally break a rule of golf and you wonder if a player who doesn't have the cachet of Phil might have been immediately disqualified.
not a DQ-able offense, though. 2 stroke penalty offense.
even if you do it on purpose.

/not an expert, but if there's a clear penalty rule on the books, then that's the penalty.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not a DQ-able offense, though. 2 stroke penalty offense.
even if you do it on purpose.

/not an expert, but if there's a clear penalty rule on the books, then that's the penalty.

The rule does state that it can lead to disqualification in certain cases. From ESPN:

In an apparent act of frustration, Phil Mickelson chased after his moving ball on the 13th green Saturday at Shinnecock Hills and struck it before it could get farther from the hole. Doing so is a breach of Rule 14.5 which prohibits a player from hitting a moving ball. It's a two-stroke penalty and in some cases could lead to disqualification.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a crazy setup. I've got game back to being a scratch. I guarantee you I'd be lucky to keep it under 90 today. That was unfair.

On second thought I think I'd be pushing 100. What a beast.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only thing missing from that tweet is the following:

giphy.gif

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty good read...

It was one that left the USGA with a tradition like no other -- a rules fiasco that swallowed its signature event whole. John Bodenhamer, a USGA suit, explained that Mickelson was assessed a 2-stroke penalty for hitting a moving ball under Rule 14-5. Bodenhamer conceded that had Mickelson used his putter to stop the ball, rather than swat at it, that action might've compelled the governing body to disqualify Lefty from the field.

But USGA law also says that a "serious breach" of Rule 1-2, which prohibits a player from taking an action with "the intent to influence the movement of a ball in play," may cause its committee to "impose a penalty of disqualification." A serious breach is defined as an action that allowed a player to "gain a significant advantage." Even though he was a million miles out of contention, Mickelson claimed that he hit his moving ball to gain a scoring advantage.

That should've been enough for a disqualification -- if not under Rule 1-2, then under Rule 33-7, which gives the USGA authority to DQ a player for a serious breach of etiquette. Bodenhamer confirmed Saturday night that committee members did consider removing Mickelson from the tournament under 33-7 but decided against it because the rule is applied only in "extreme circumstances." Never mind that the USGA always is the leader in extreme circumstances and that Phil's folly and the unfair late-afternoon course conditions surely qualified.

Mickelson phoned USGA chief executive Mike Davis on Saturday night and told him, "Mike, I don't want to play in this championship if I should have been disqualified." Lefty asked Davis to clarify the USGA's stance on the penalty. If Mickelson was desperate enough to ask for that kind of public support, he surely knew he needed it.

Why Phil Mickelson should apologize, then withdraw from the U.S. Open

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to Brooks Koepka on back-to-back US Open titles.