1. Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Matt Johnson Article

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Kings' started by PuckinUgly57, Jan 4, 2018.

1. PuckinUgly57

PuckinUgly57 Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Long story short, he is homeless in LA, on drugs, nowhere to be found and distanced from his family.

I'm not even sure how I stumbled on this one but wow, what an awesome read. I wondered what happened to him after he left the NHL, pretty sad story. Hope he and his family can put everything back together.

It's a long read and be prepared to reflect on your own life.

Searching for Matt Johnson

2. Vegas

Vegas Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,800

Sad. Really sad.

3. davnlaguna

davnlaguna Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,637

4. LAKINGSFAN

LAKINGSFAN Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Really sad. I really liked him when he was with the Kings. I am not sure if this is all from getting hit in the head too much, substance abuse, or mental health issues. But I hope he gets the help he needs.

5. PuckinUgly57

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Wow, that's crazy. At least they know where he is now, maybe the family can try and step in again and help him but the thing with people in these situations is a lot of the don't want the help.

For those reading who aren't familiar with CA, the big thing in Orange County is the homeless encampment along the Santa Ana River Bed with a lot of homeless camps along the bike trail in Anaheim all the way to Santa Ana (a shithole city overall) about 15-20 miles away. I live in Yorba Linda, the city next to Anaheim and the most NE city in OC, the last city in OC until you head into Riverside County. Yorba Regional Park is about 6-7 miles west in Anaheim/Anaheim Hills and I take my kids there when we go bike riding because you can access the bike trail that runs along the river bed from this area.

I don't go too far down it because when the trail goes under overpasses, there are literally camps set up of homeless people and it can be scary from drugs to criminals to crazies. There are needles everywhere, trash, piss and shit, unsafe fires, etc. I won't put my kids in that situation and I carry my Smithfield 40 when I ride down that trail just in case. I don't have a conceal carry permit yet (working on it - it's very hard to get in CA) but I'd rather literally shoot first and ask questions later if my kids, me or someone else is in danger.

The County of Orange announced 2 weeks ago they are going to be moving them out. It has gotten worse because of our goofy state and retarded governor Jerry Brown, who passed a few Assembly Bills the last 5 years that released inmates before their full term as a reason to reduce crowding in jails. It backfired because there are people who have committed serious crimes roaming free who shouldn't be, and many of these early release inmates have gone on to commit serious crimes such as r*pe and murder. Fuck em, keep them in jail and off the streets of society - do the crime, do the time.

Many of these people find their way to these homeless camps and essentially create gangs to extort the homeless by offering "protection". I'm not kidding you, this is how bad it is in this state - along with being the highest taxed state in the nation, its penchant for taking care of illegal immigrants over citizens and basically doing everything backasswards is why we have decided on an exit strategy of leaving in the next 12 years after our youngest is out of HS. This state is garbage because of its government. It was a nice state to live in when we moved from OH to here in 1986 but has slowly gone into the toilet.

Back on point, back in November the OC Sheriff's Department tried to help these people and 83% of them refused the help. That is a combination of drugs, mental illness and criminals because they can essentially do what they want without any rules or regulations. That is a stunning number, the actual count was I believe 910/1093 contacts refused the help.

I'm sure in many cases there are mentally ill people who refuse the help, which is what it sounds like with Johnson. The issue is you can't force them to get the help and that is where the challenge is.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 12:01 PM
  6. Kings4OT

Kings4OT Suck my Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Ya I wont live in CA because of the laws there, unfortunately you guys are infesting NV and sending it down the toilet as well. Most of those types of laws and programs don't help anyone and people that can and should work can instead camp out and shoot up.

7. LAKINGSFAN

LAKINGSFAN Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Good luck on getting your CCW Puck. Its next to impossible. I looked into it a while ago and its next to impossible. I was told the best possible way was to try San Bernardino county. I was encouraged to be a first responder reserve. Just asking for it for personal protection etc is not enough.

8. PuckinUgly57

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

I hear you, I have run into roadblocks as well as I had a wobbler felony over a decade ago but it has since been expunged and I have a completed clean record now.

Wobblers are felonies that stay on your record until you complete your restitution - whatever that is, court programs, fees, time served, etc. - for those that don't know. They are not permanent unless you essentially are a lazy bastard and don't do what you're supposed to do but the crime was serious enough to warrant prison time and the judge gives you a shot to redeem yourself based on the factors of the case. Oviously not one of my finer moments, but a hard lesson learned nonetheless. Haven't had any issue with the popo in 10+ years but this one stuck around for some time.

After the expungement I was able to get a weapons license since all my rights were reinstated but I have received conflicting information for a few lawyers regarding how the wobbler can affect the CCW persmit. I'd taking my time and doing my research and due diligence because you'll have 1 shot at it pretty much. I am a volunteer fireman with LACoFD so I have that going for me, but CA and its gun laws are nothing short of ridiculous.

From my understanding after the SB shooting the applications for guns as well as CCW went through the roof in the county - have you heard anything or have any information on how that is going?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018 at 3:32 PM
  9. PuckinUgly57

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

I found this on Facebook, this is how bad it is. It's scary and crazy at the same time.