• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Gino Odjick On Last Days

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good read, but was shocked to hear this news. This man is going to die soon and knows it.

He was a big part of the Canucks' organization, I remember him and various Kings getting into it constantly when it was the old Smythe Division and the two teams hooked up. I remember him playing decent in the Kings-Canucks series in 1993.

Gino Odjick?s last fight: Beloved Canucks enforcer battles terminal heart disease

histkng23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually remember going to a game in December 92, got in late & got sat just as Gino & McSorely went at it. One of the most exciting games I ever went to as the Kings were down, fought off two 2-man disadvantages in the 2nd period, some horrific goaltending by Hrudy only to rally in the 3rd and pull it out 6-5. Game included the most amazing single goal I ever saw as Gretzky, who was about 12 feet out in the slot, slapped in a shot out of midair right into the back of the net past McLean.

Anyway, back to Gino, after the game was fortunate enough to go down underneath to where a lot of players came out of their lockerooms. Got some autographs (Sandstrom, Granoto, McIntyre, Blake), and Gino came out. Had an absolutely HUGE shiner above his left eye on his eyebrow from the fight in the 1st with McSorely. Didn't seem to phase him, was very cordial, gave my friends and I an autograph, talked with us for a few minutes about his scrap, and then headed off to get on team bus. Seamed liked a good guy, and always respected him after that. Sad to read about his condition, I'll always remember meeting him.

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Such a sad story. What a tragedy to happen to such a young man. I'm not sure I could be handling it at well as he seems to be.

Ox

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't he have the nickname "Oddjob" referring to the tough hat-throwing guy in Goldfinger?

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game included the most amazing single goal I ever saw as Gretzky, who was about 12 feet out in the slot, slapped in a shot out of midair right into the back of the net past McLean.

I remember that one, he was standing to the left of Kirk McLean, who was a good goalie too. It's at the 1:56 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzPj4eaLDEI

Lots of slick moves by Gretzky, it's almost funny to see hockey played like this. I took 4 big hits alone last week in my rec league, resulting in black and blue left calf, right shoulder, right ribs and a sore right calf from a blocked shot.

It's fascinating to him not even get touched.