• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Car Question

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know there is an auto forum on the SportsHoopla, but I've got to make a decision by Monday, and I know we have some petrol heads on the ol' NHL forum. So here goes..

I found an '02 Volkswagen Passat W8 4-Motion w/ Tiptronic Auto Shift. It's got 75,000 on it, and I was skeptical when I first read it, but then I went over and test drove it and damn was I impressed with this ride! The transmission is smooth, and the power-band is just incredible. It doesn't grunt as hard off the line as I thought it might being an 8 cylinder engine, but at speed when you put the pedal down, it hauls ass like you would expect an 8 to do.

So my concerns are just general reliability of the W8 engine, and the overall economics of owning this thing. I read that the oil changes are like $100 because it's german and complicated and requires synthetic. Any input or advice on this is appreciated.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, synthetic oil and premium gas (octane 91) will be required for that Passat, evolver. Speaking of oil, older VW's have a reputation of burning through the oil pretty good. I think 43 owns a Passat, so he should be able to chime in with his thoughts.

/I had an '01 Audi A4 quattro for a few years and absolutely loved it.

RangersReds03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know there is an auto forum on the SportsHoopla, but I've got to make a decision by Monday, and I know we have some petrol heads on the ol' NHL forum. So here goes..

I found an '02 Volkswagen Passat W8 4-Motion w/ Tiptronic Auto Shift. It's got 75,000 on it, and I was skeptical when I first read it, but then I went over and test drove it and damn was I impressed with this ride! The transmission is smooth, and the power-band is just incredible. It doesn't grunt as hard off the line as I thought it might being an 8 cylinder engine, but at speed when you put the pedal down, it hauls ass like you would expect an 8 to do.

So my concerns are just general reliability of the W8 engine, and the overall economics of owning this thing. I read that the oil changes are like $100 because it's german and complicated and requires synthetic. Any input or advice on this is appreciated.

From what I've heard and been told about Volkswagens is they're pricey to fix because it's a German car and the parts are different but other than that they are nice cars.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The W8 Engine is an amazing piece of technology and VW/Audi's Triptronic is an unbelievable device as well. Mated together, they are one of the best drivetrains available. Adding 4motion is like icing on an already awesome cake.

I had a Passat (Drive an Audi now) and I had VW's "junk" 1.8 Turbo engine and I got to 212,000 miles in it. In fact, I would still own it and my daughter would be driving it now if pieces of the body hadn't started falling off. Mechanically, it was tip top shape even at 212k. I ran 93 octane and 5w30 synthetic oil in my changed the oil every 5000 and the Timing belt at the intervals of 75k, and that's where I got it to. The drivetrain probably had another 50+ in it. I have a cousin who has a Jetta Diesel approaching 400k.

The thing about VWs, really any German car, is they are very finicky. They are not "point and click" devices, you have to treat them the way they were engineered to be treated. Whatever fuel it says run, run that fuel. If it says sythetic oil, run synthetic oil. When it says change the belts at a certain mileage, do it.

I did my own oil changes, and they are no different than any other car. I never owned a W8, so it may be more complicated. Oh, and changing the air filter is a pain in the ass.

And You can't beat the driving experience. Especially when winter hits with 4 Motion. My Audi is Quattro, which is the exact same system.

From what I've heard and been told about Volkswagens is they're pricey to fix because it's a German car and the parts are different but other than that they are nice cars.

Parts do get expensive. I suggest finding a local mechanic who specializes in German cars and let him know you are not too proud to use used parts. I had a few parts off wrecked cars make their way into mine. A local mechanic will have a parts connection with a local salvage yard. But as I said above, if you give the car what it wants, parts typically continue performing well.

And NEVER, EVER take it to a dealer. They will scalp you. Example: My daughter lost a transponder key for her Beetle (we are a VW/Audi family). I wanted to replace the key and get one spare. The dealer wanted to charge 275 for the keys themselves, 15 each to cut them and another 50 to program them. Bought two flip key blanks online for 35, had a locksmith cut them for 10 and then took them to the dealer to program.

And lastly, OEM / Performance / Maintenance / Repair / Replacement Parts and kits for Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Mini, Porsche and Volkswagen - ECS Tuning is your friend. Even if you don't buy from them, their pricing will help you know if you're being ripped off.

75K on a VW is practically brand new. Enjoy it!

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The W8 Engine is an amazing piece of technology and VW/Audi's Triptronic is an unbelievable device as well. Mated together, they are one of the best drivetrains available. Adding 4motion is like icing on an already awesome cake.

I had a Passat (Drive an Audi now) and I had VW's "junk" 1.8 Turbo engine and I got to 212,000 miles in it. In fact, I would still own it and my daughter would be driving it now if pieces of the body hadn't started falling off. Mechanically, it was tip top shape even at 212k. I ran 93 octane and 5w30 synthetic oil in my changed the oil every 5000 and the Timing belt at the intervals of 75k, and that's where I got it to. The drivetrain probably had another 50+ in it. I have a cousin who has a Jetta Diesel approaching 400k.

The thing about VWs, really any German car, is they are very finicky. They are not "point and click" devices, you have to treat them the way they were engineered to be treated. Whatever fuel it says run, run that fuel. If it says sythetic oil, run synthetic oil. When it says change the belts at a certain mileage, do it.

I did my own oil changes, and they are no different than any other car. I never owned a W8, so it may be more complicated. Oh, and changing the air filter is a pain in the ass.

And You can't beat the driving experience. Especially when winter hits with 4 Motion. My Audi is Quattro, which is the exact same system.

Thanks for the input, 43!:suds:

I had what I thought was a really rare early 2000's Golf a while ago. It was in the 4 door Golf setup, but had the 1.8T motor like what the GTI is always equipped with. It was neat because it was kind of a sleeper car. It looked like a stock 4 door, but had the turbo engine in it. I loved that car but I had to pay for a new clutch before I could even drive it, and I did the timing belt/water pump replacement like you mentioned with your Passat. I got it to about 198,000 miles before the turbo started to go out and I cut my losses and sold it.

This W8 engine from what I've read since looking at it yesterday seems like it is a great build, but it does have its shortcomings. It's far from bulletproof, and if anything goes on it, the repair costs and parts can be ridiculously expensive.

Another part that apparently gives this car problems (I'm researching like a madman) is the torque converter in the transmission. With the tiptronic transmission, when that gets either mistreated and/or gets too hot, the TC can become damaged rather easily, and the only thing to do is replace it, which also is a very expensive part.

I've read a bunch of blogs and sites with people all raving about how much they love this W8 setup in the Passat. Seems like the popular mod is a Magnaflow exhaust, or something equivalent, to really unleash the 8 cylinder engine. I guess the stock exhaust setup from VW is restrictive and most concerned with being quiet.