• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Bullshitting at the Barbershop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very likely.

I am honestly surprised to see "small" places like Columbus and Austin Texas on the list. Places like here just don't have the workforce to support it. So they will have to import a lot of people.
They also don't have air hubs, which seemed like a pretty important component in Amazon's initial proposal request.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my bro in law said .. with no "apparent" insider knowledge lol ... the prevailing opinion amongst his team and others is it will be Austin :noidea:

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and theyd be importing people en masse no matter where they land

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did say that they were only considering metro areas that have at least a million people for that very reason, and CBUS and Austin are double that, so why do you think the workforce isn't there to support it? Obviously Amazon thinks so.

Because i live here. Technology unemployment is at zero, overall unemployment is around 3%. Highly specialized positions can go unfilled for years. My company just hired three new people and we got one from Dallas, one from Nashville and one from DC. Hard to find unemployed people or people who want to change jobs who are already here.

Being in IT or Security and moving to Columbus is a guaranteed job. And likely several competing offers to consider if you play your cards right.

They also don't have air hubs, which seemed like a pretty important component in Amazon's initial proposal request.

Columbus actually has two airports. Both have runways capable of supporting 747 sized planes. And the second airport, Rickenbacher, has just gobs and gobs of land around it. It is near I-70, I-71 and railway lines. It just never materialized as a hub.

Amazon could change that.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Columbus actually has two airports. Both have runways capable of supporting 747 sized planes. And the second airport, Rickenbacher, has just gobs and gobs of land around it. It is near I-70, I-71 and railway lines. It just never materialized as a hub.

Amazon could change that.
I could be wrong but I believe the idea was that international businesspeople would have direct flights to HQ2's host city from major markets in Europe and Asia. I don't think Amazon relocating to one of their smaller options would initiate that from major airlines - for example, I don't think you can get a direct flight from Memphis to Tokyo or Dubai despite Memphis being one of the busiest cargo hubs on earth.

Also, Amazon is already building a cargo hub in Cincy so I'm pretty sure this is more business-related than cargo.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could be wrong but I believe the idea was that international businesspeople would have direct flights to HQ2's host city from major markets in Europe and Asia. I don't think Amazon relocating to one of their smaller options would initiate that from major airlines - for example, I don't think you can get a direct flight from Memphis to Tokyo or Dubai despite Memphis being one of the busiest cargo hubs on earth.

Also, Amazon is already building a cargo hub in Cincy so I'm pretty sure this is more business-related than cargo.

Just to clarify, both of Columbus' airports are international, meaning they have customs and can offer direct flights to other countries. But neither is a hub of any of the major airlines, but that could change over time, especially with 10s of thousands of executives and with Columbus being one of the largest cities in America without a major hub.

Dallas/Austin or one of the 3 DC contenders seem the likely winner to me.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to clarify, both of Columbus' airports are international, meaning they have customs and can offer direct flights to other countries. But neither is a hub of any of the major airlines, but that could change over time, especially with 10s of thousands of executives and with Columbus being one of the largest cities in America without a major hub.

Okay but that's also true of Memphis and Louisville at the moment and neither of them ever became international air hubs. The only international flights from either airport today (did a quick check) are to Toronto lol

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Austin: Whole Foods
DC: Washington Post

where is Bezos gonna plant his balls ??? lol

/ on that note:

Seattle makes NYT's 'Places to go' list... for Bezos Balls?

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Austin: Whole Foods
DC: Washington Post

where is Bezos gonna plant his balls ??? lol

I hope its not DC. We need 50,000 more drivers and additional construction about as much as anyone needs this t-shirt...

fart-loading.jpeg.jpg

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Esmond Allcock says the secret to living 108 years is to select the proper spouse.

Allcock, from Kerrobert, Sask., celebrated his 108th birthday on Friday. He is oldest male in Canada, according to the Saskatchewan Health Authority.

"I didn't behave myself for a few years there, but then I got a really good wife," he said, when asked how he managed to live a long and happy life.

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/oldest-man-canada-says-trick-225514128.html

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll get in if I can. I will take Chicago and Columbus.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DC and Newark.

DC encompasses all 3 area choices though (NOVA & Mont. Cty, MD). Newark is specifically Newark, excludes NYC.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is anyone really that surprised? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.