• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Bullshitting at the Barbershop

Status
Not open for further replies.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you already have Buffalo, too. It's a Toronto suburb.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honest question, do you think an NFL team would actually do well attendance-wise given the Argos struggles?
I do. The CFL doesn't do well for the same reason a minor league baseball team wouldn't do well in Toronto. There are 3 teams with some of the best athletes on the globe in this city, convincing people to spend money and time (both watching the games and getting to and from them) watching guys who couldn't make the Arena Football League grade is a bit of a tough ask.

And before you say it, the reason the "Bills in Toronto" tanked was because for the cost of the average ticket someone in Toronto could get a Bills ticket, bus ride to the Ralph, all-inclusive tailgate and at least 3 stadium beers. We’re dumb (see: Leafs attendance, 2005-2016) but not that dumb.

I'm not saying it would be a Seattle or Green Bay or even Buffalo-like atmosphere but it would be well-attended and the corporate structure here would pump millions into ownership's coffers.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, not for nothing but I would prefer it very much if Buffalo kept the Bills should Toronto ever get an NFL team. That would be one hell of a fun rivalry.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do. The CFL doesn't do well for the same reason a minor league baseball team wouldn't do well in Toronto. There are 3 teams with some of the best athletes on the globe in this city, convincing people to spend money and time (both watching the games and getting to and from them) watching guys who couldn't make the Arena Football League grade is a bit of a tough ask.

And yet TFC (which is a couple of tiers below the PL) has fans showing up in droves at BMO Field. I think the CFL has been poorly marketed not just in Toronto, but Canada wide and has completely missed out on a generation of fans. It's a shame because it is an entertaining product, but I don't know for how long TSN can continue propping up the CFL.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yet TFC (which is a couple of tiers below the PL) has fans showing up in droves at BMO Field. I think the CFL has been poorly marketed not just in Toronto, but Canada wide and has completely missed out on a generation of fans. It's a shame because it is an entertaining product, but I don't know for how long TSN can continue propping up the CFL.
TFC went in waves, though – entered the league and were well-supported but year-after-year of losing meant fans slowly then quickly stopped going/watching. Buying Giovinco/Altidore/Bradley changed that.

FWIW, though, TV ratings are still kinda butt (sub-100k viewers on average and that’s nationally compared to 750,000 average for the Blue Jays who sucked balls this year).

I don’t think there’s anything the CFL could comparatively do to gain a foothold here. People my age and younger simply weren’t brought up on the product and the older generations who were aren’t of the age where the hassle of going to games is worth it anymore. On the flip, you can go to most bars with televisions on Sundays and see good crowds watching NFL action. The place I went to two Sundays ago for that bonkers Hawks-Texans game was pretty full and people were losing it watching it unfold.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WxdDq50.jpg

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Naturally Bob gets stuck picking up the check at the dinner celebration.

would have been great at this presentation if they gave Bob the big oversized novelty cheque and James got a normal sized cheque lol

Status
Not open for further replies.