• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT - Board Game

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a bit more casual, but if anyone hasn't tried Pandemic, I highly recommend it.

It's a cooperative game, which is a bit unusual, but great fun.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ill remember this winning hand and the reactions of everyone we played with probably for the rest of my life lmao

black card: "After the earthquake, Sean Penn brought (fill in the blank) to Haiti"
white card played and judged to be the winner: "AIDS"

still remember lol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a bit more casual, but if anyone hasn't tried Pandemic, I highly recommend it.

It's a cooperative game, which is a bit unusual, but great fun.

I love that game. If my friends weren't all moving away, we'd get Legacy, too, but we wouldn't be able to get the full effect of the game with the little time we have left.

Another good cooperative game is Dead Men Tell No Tales, but my friends and I just can't seem to beat it. We're great at Forbidden Island, though, and Escape is delightfully fast-paced.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha, yeah, that can happen, especially if you put all of the epidemic cards in play.

My friends and I were about two player turns from winning the game, and only one sequence of draws could have bested us. The odds of that sequence, we estimated based on how many cards were in the deck at about 0.15%. We had to draw an epidemic, and the city we drew from the bottom of the deck had to be Taipei. Any other city, and we were guaranteed victory.

We drew and epidemic card and Taipei, and it set off a chain reaction of outbreaks that lost us the game. We were at 2 outbreaks before that draw. We had 8 at the end of it.

It was very frustrating.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My friends and I were about two player turns from winning the game, and only one sequence of draws could have bested us. The odds of that sequence, we estimated based on how many cards were in the deck at about 0.15%. We had to draw an epidemic, and the city we drew from the bottom of the deck had to be Taipei. Any other city, and we were guaranteed victory.

We drew and epidemic card and Taipei, and it set off a chain reaction of outbreaks that lost us the game. We were at 2 outbreaks before that draw. We had 8 at the end of it.

It was very frustrating.
Have you tried Pandemic Legacy? It is so much fun and brutal.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you tried Pandemic Legacy? It is so much fun and brutal.

No, since we're all starting to finish our degrees and move away, it's just not a good time to invest in it. We're not sure how much use we could get out of it in the time we have left in the same place.

Wherever I land next, if there are friends who love board games, I'll try to pull it together, though. It sounds like an amazing game.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, since we're all starting to finish our degrees and move away, it's just not a good time to invest in it. We're not sure how much use we could get out of it in the time we have left in the same place.

Wherever I land next, if there are friends who love board games, I'll try to pull it together, though. It sounds like an amazing game.
Definitely try to find some FLGS. I lucked into a solid group here in Jax, FL but that game is fantastic and tough as hell. Just when you think you have things figured out it literally changes the rules. It is so much fun.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've recently discovered Twilight Struggle. A fine mix of chess, poker, backgammon and go:

twilight-struggle-deluxe-edition.jpg

The game is won by accumulating influence in different countries and regions or by your opponent accidentally overstepping his bounds and triggering thermonuclear war.

As a bonus, you get a good lesson in the history of the Cold War with various historical events described on the game cards. This was a labor of love by its creators.

10/10 Highly recommended.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've recently discovered Twilight Struggle. A fine mix of chess, poker, backgammon and go:

twilight-struggle-deluxe-edition.jpg

The game is won by accumulating influence in different countries and regions or by your opponent accidentally overstepping his bounds and triggering thermonuclear war.

As a bonus, you get a good lesson in the history of the Cold War with various historical events described on the game cards. This was a labor of love by its creators.

10/10 Highly recommended.

That looks amazing, especially since I'm a history buff.

I just played Catan for the first time recently, another fun game.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That game looks cool, WW. I'm going to check it out.

I really enjoy a long ass strategy game that takes hours to play, but a lot of people don't. So if you're looking for something that's fun and different, here are 3 cool board games you can play in a half hour or less...

pic1900075.jpg

Sushi Go is a quick card game. You pass cards around and take one each round until they are gone trying to build multiples of the same type and you have to watch what others are taking to build your strategy. Fun for a group of 4-5, not too cutthroat, cute graphics, simple to learn. At $8.50 on Amazon, it's a cheap date. It's a great game if you have friends who don't much like games. Time to play: 15 minutes (or less) Difficulty: Easy

img_213_MAIN.png

Kings of Tokyo is a combative action game with dice. You win by either collecting a certain number of points or killing your enemies. You buy power boosters like extra dice or defense from damage during the game and you only see a few of the cards in the huge deck each game, so every game can be very different. Very combative, sucks for 2 but for 3-6 is a blast, huge variety in how each game plays out. Time to play: 15-30 minutes (some players make get knocked out within 5-10 minutes) Difficulty: Moderate

51cUNhNvgHL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Splendor is great if you like math, probability, and strategy. It's super easy to learn in 5 minutes, but you could spend months developing game strategy. You have 5 color chips that you select a few of each round and you buy color cards that are on 3 levels. As you buy the cards, they become currency like the chips enabling you to buy the cards at the higher levels which are worth more points. When you get to a certain number of points, you win. Very fun and actually one of the better smartphone board game apps I've seen if you want to try it out on your mobile phone. Time to play: 30 minutes Difficulty: Moderate