• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: The Tennis thread

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus, such sickening stupidity...

Furious tennis fans have called for an American commentator to be fired after he was accused of comparing African-American tennis superstar Venus Williams to a gorilla at the Australian Open. The controversial comment was made by ESPN’s Doug Adler during Williams’ second-round match at the first Slam of the year in Melbourne against Stefanie Voegele. The 59-year-old former professional player was describing the pressure Williams was putting on the second serve of her Swiss opponent.

‘She misses a first serve and Venus is all over her,’ Adler said. ‘You see Venus move in and put the gorilla effect on. Charging.’

What it provoked was a wave of outrage on social media, including from New York Times tennis writer Ben Rothenberg who was furious at the comment.

‘This is some appalling stuff,’ Rothenberg tweeted. ‘Horrifying that the Williams sisters remained subjected to it still in 2017.’

But Rothenberg was not alone in feeling horror at the remark with Richard Ings tweeting: ‘That is unacceptable commentary. Appalling stuff.’

Cele|bitchy | As ESPN commentator made a ‘gorilla’ reference about Venus Williams

And as long as we just brush it aside, these types of things will continue Ryan...

Commentator who referred to Williams as “gorilla” was not being racist

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meanwhile, our boy Milos moves from one Gilles to the next (takes care of Muller in straight sets and moves on to face Simon on Friday).

Milos's half of the draw about as open as it will ever be in a grand slam. Obviously, there are still some good players lurking (Nadal, obviously) but the other half has Murray, Fed, Kei, Stan, etc...

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And as long as we just brush it aside, these types of things will continue Ryan...

I think the easy check is, has this commentator ever used that metaphor before on a different player? I can see both sides, but if it's the first time he's used the expression (which isn't typical as far as I know) and he's only used it for a Williams sister, then it's hard to give benefit of the doubt. But if he regularly uses the metaphor for players, then it's a different story.

Reminds me of this unfortunate headline:

17e78w4n9qyjwjpg.jpg

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It doesn't really matter if he was trying to be racist. His job is to call a match in way that is professional and enjoyable to his entire demographic. Describing a black athlete's actions as gorilla-like doesn't tick either of those boxes.

If he uses that term regularly, he should know better than to use it in this case. I've NEVER heard that term during a tennis broadcast (I pretty much only watch the grand slams but still) for what it's worth. He didn't do his job. He gets no benefit of the doubt.

He should be suspended at the least. Moron.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't really matter if he was trying to be racist. His job is to call a match in way that is professional and enjoyable to his entire demographic. Describing a black athlete's actions as gorilla-like doesn't tick either of those boxes.

If he uses that term regularly, he should know better than to use it in this case. I've NEVER heard that term during a tennis broadcast (I pretty much only watch the grand slams but still) for what it's worth. He didn't do his job. He gets no benefit of the doubt.

He should be suspended at the least. Moron.

If it's a common expression he has used in the past to describe a tennis player overwhelming their opponent, then why wouldn't he get the benefit of the doubt? A quick Google search of "gorilla idiom" at the very least gives this link:

800-pound gorilla - Wikipedia

Not that I've heard it used, but sounds like the expression "800 pound gorilla" is used to imply someone or something so powerful they can overpower opponents at will. The latter definitely describes Serena at her best.

Just playing devil's advocate. There's a great novel, "The Human Stain" based on this exact premise.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the commentator apologized and say her was referring to guerrilla tactics. Maybe it's just me, but I've watched a variety of sports for a lot of years and I've never heard that phrase used in that context.

/I do recall Bryz at the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver saying the Canadians came out like "gorillas coming out of a cage". I don't think he meant guerrillas.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the commentator apologized and say her was referring to guerrilla tactics. Maybe it's just me, but I've watched a variety of sports for a lot of years and I've never heard that phrase used in that context.

Bud Collins always referred to Guillermo Vilas as the dirty sandanista

/perhaps

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Genie loses to brash American Coco Vandeweghe in three sets yesterday.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She played her tough though which is good, hopefully Genie will come out stronger in the next tourney.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Milos, you'll likely never have a better chance to win a Grand Slam with both Joker and Murray out of the tourney.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next big test: Nadal. I know he's not the same player he once was, but stylistically, I think he's one of the worst matchups for Milos. An all Swiss semifinal looks likely on the other side of the draw.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next big test: Nadal. I know he's not the same player he once was, but stylistically, I think he's one of the worst matchups for Milos. An all Swiss semifinal looks likely on the other side of the draw.

He can certainly beat Nadal, but he'll have to play better than he did against RBA.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm picking the Stanimal to come out of the top half of the draw and it would be pretty cool if it were an all-Swiss semi-final. Can Zverev play as good against Roger as he did against Andy Murray?

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doug Adler: "big win for Venus and she didnt look like a gorilla doing it"

/in case it gets deleted lol

IMG_6647.PNG

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Genie loses to brash American Coco Vandeweghe in three sets yesterday.

i dont know if i was drunk but i coulda sworn they flashed a graphic last night that showed Vandeweghes fastest timed forehands and backhands of the tournament are on par with the big 4 men ???

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont know if i was drunk but i coulda sworn they flashed a graphic last night that showed Vandeweghes fastest timed forehands and backhands of the tournament are on par with the big 4 men ???

I think they timed some of her forehands at 92 mph, which is definitely up there with some of the big hitters on the men's tour.

/Also, the way Coco dispatched Kerber and Muguruza with barely breaking a sweat certainly makes Genie's close 3 set loss look a lot better.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they timed some of her forehands at 92 mph, which is definitely up there with some of the big hitters on the men's tour.

/Also, the way Coco dispatched Kerber and Muguruza with barely breaking a sweat certainly makes Genie's close 3 set loss look a lot better.

look at the rally stats speed of backhand v forehand compared to Federer/Nishikori

C2xtQWwUsAEfktm.jpg

C2x64B0UcAIY_Fa.jpg