• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

opting out question

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is there anything in writing when a guy opts out that he will be resigned. I was just wondering what would happen if riley told wade to opt out and we will resign u to a 4 yr 55 mil contact. wade opts out and riley doesn't keep his word. is that possible?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is there anything in writing when a guy opts out that he will be resigned. I was just wondering what would happen if riley told wade to opt out and we will resign u to a 4 yr 55 mil contact. wade opts out and riley doesn't keep his word. is that possible?

Possible? Yes.

Likely? Not really. It would pretty much destroy any credibility with other FA's.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possible? Yes.

Likely? Not really. It would pretty much destroy any credibility with other FA's.

at this point does it matter to riley. hes got about 5 yrs left in the game

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you are talking about a reverse Boozer situation?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
at this point does it matter to riley. hes got about 5 yrs left in the game

It does if he wants to have any decent free agents come play there in the next 5 years.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I brought that scenario up in another thread.

I have no idea what general practice is, but I would imagine that in situations where the player is opting-out in order to restructure a contract, that his agent will make sure there is something binding in writing before the actual opt out. Seems like good business practice, but who knows how they do it normally.

I agree that pulling that trick would be pretty damaging as a PR issue and to Rileys cred... especially if it involves the franchises most beloved player, Wade. Unless he pulled the trick and no one told on him.

It would seem like a very tempting move if Bosh and Wade both opt out. He'd be sitting there with a blank slate and all the cap space in the world.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players/GMs can make any promises they want. But as we all know, never take a player or GM at his word. $$$ is all either party thinks about when it comes to the bottom line.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players/GMs can make any promises they want. But as we all know, never take a player or GM at his word. $$$ is all either party thinks about when it comes to the bottom line.

Although very true, trojan already made the defining point. Riley could screw Wade over if he wanted, but it would do much more harm than good. Getting Wade at 4 years $50-$55 million is decent if it means getting Lebron for the next 4-5 years.

If you go against your word, you're not going to attract any free agents. Especially if you screw over the player that put your franchise into the championship category. It would be similar to the Lakers fucking over Kobe, or the Spurs doing the same to Duncan. Key point - you don't screw over your corner stone players under any circumstances.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The only time I can ever recall a supposed verbal agreement not being honored was by Boozer.
Riley would never do that to Wade for sure or in my opinion anyone else.

My question would be that if hypothetically Bosh and James were willing to restructure and Wade wasn't, would Riley then threaten try to trade him?

Not that I think anyone's lining up to take on Wades contract, but if some contending team still thought he had something left in the tank you never know.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only time I can ever recall a supposed verbal agreement not being honored was by Boozer.

My question would be that if hypothetically Bosh and James were willing to restructure and Wade wasn't, would Riley then threaten try to trade him?

Not that I think anyone's lining up to take on Wades contract, but if some contending team still thought he had something left in the tank you never know.

Imo, Wade would be foolish to opt out. This is his last big payday. If Lebron and Bosh both opt out and Wade doesn't, the Heat will still have the money needed to re-tool the roster. It would basically mean that they couldn't get 'Melo, but they could go after help in the post and a knockdown outside shooter.

What Wade will make next season is definitely more than he's worth right now, but as others have pointed out, he brought the Heat their first title and had a huge hand in the 4 straight finals appearances. He has already earned every dime of what he will make next season.

Also, I'm not sure that extending him 4 more years at approx. $12-14 mil would be very smart on the Heat's part either because I don't know if Wade has 4 years left. The Heat could end up with Wade's contract being like the Lakers with Nash's contract only Wade would be making about $5mil more per season than Nash is.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo, Wade would be foolish to opt out. This is his last big payday. If Lebron and Bosh both opt out and Wade doesn't, the Heat will still have the money needed to re-tool the roster. It would basically mean that they couldn't get 'Melo, but they could go after help in the post and a knockdown outside shooter.

What Wade will make next season is definitely more than he's worth right now, but as others have pointed out, he brought the Heat their first title and had a huge hand in the 4 straight finals appearances. He has already earned every dime of what he will make next season.

Also, I'm not sure that extending him 4 more years at approx. $12-14 mil would be very smart on the Heat's part either because I don't know if Wade has 4 years left. The Heat could end up with Wade's contract being like the Lakers with Nash's contract only Wade would be making about $5mil more per season than Nash is.

I've thought about that.

I feel that James wants as much help as possible now and would worry about 3-4 years down the road at that time when he could opt out again.

I also don't feel that James would want to be paid THAT much less then anyone on the roster.
That's why I feel the James/Anthony @16M to the Lakers is a pipe dream with Kobe making 24.

Lastly. Why couldn't the Heat stretch Wade down the road?
Can it only be in last year of contract?

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I remember Elton Brand doing that.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've thought about that.

I feel that James wants as much help as possible now and would worry about 3-4 years down the road at that time when he could opt out again.

I also don't feel that James would want to be paid THAT much less then anyone on the roster.
That's why I feel the James/Anthony @16M to the Lakers is a pipe dream with Kobe making 24.

Lastly. Why couldn't the Heat stretch Wade down the road?
Can it only be in last year of contract?

Yeah, that 'Melo and Lebron to the Lakers nonsense that Ramona Shelburne and Windhorst(?) have thrown out there isn't happening. Pretty ridiculous, imo. The Lakers might be able to land one of them (they have about $30mil in cap space) but they aren't getting both and I honestly don't think they get either one.

Of the 2, they are probably more likely to get 'Melo than they are Lebron. The Lakers are in a better position to win soon than the Knicks, but they're not in a better position than the Heat.

As for stretching Wade down the road? I'm not sure what the rule is, although I think it usually makes more sense to just eat the contract all at once (depending on cap space) than to stretch it. Sort of like just ripping the Band-Aid off instead of peeling it off slowly.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was listening to John Feinstein on CBS sports radio this morning and a caller brought this up.

Said that he didn't think a team is allowed to draw up a new contract while the other is still valid so Wade could see a new deal in writing. But like others have said....Riley can just give his word.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If wade thinks Riley wants him to opt out to pay him less, he just plain will not opt out. Wade has two player options remaining, 20.048 million this upcoming season, 21.560 the following year. Bosh is due a half million per year more than wade. Both would be nuts to opt out. Bosh will probably get a deal from someone bigger than that, but they will be disappointed and have no titles.

Wade won a title in miami without James. He might want to do that again.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If wade thinks Riley wants him to opt out to pay him less, he just plain will not opt out. Wade has two player options remaining, 20.048 million this upcoming season, 21.560 the following year. Bosh is due a half million per year more than wade. Both would be nuts to opt out. Bosh will probably get a deal from someone bigger than that, but they will be disappointed and have no titles.

Wade won a title in miami without James. He might want to do that again.

Seriously..?
Wade couldn't get out if the 1st round 5 years ago.
He just needs to go along with the plan, take less for longer.
Then, forget the maintenance program and play the games you can play.

Most important, incorporate Bosh and the clear #2 option.

Wade should take Bosh's role on offense and focus the majority of his energy to defense and rebounds.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously..?
Wade couldn't get out if the 1st round 5 years ago.
He just needs to go along with the plan, take less for longer.
Then, forget the maintenance program and play the games you can play.

Most important, incorporate Bosh and the clear #2 option.

Wade should take Bosh's role on offense and focus the majority of his energy to defense and rebounds.

I'd add that Wade needs to develop a reliable jump shot as well. It's about the only way that he'll make it another 4 years, imo.