• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Opening week is here! Rangers host defending AL Champs Cleveland Indians

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only upside for me is Lindor is on my fantasy team. Yet so is Dyson. Thanks Sam for the 135.00 ERA tonight. Lol

Dyson managed to fuck up 2 of my 3 teams for the week and sets me back real good to start the season.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pathetic end to the Astros/M's game as well. M's had bases loaded and no outs and Stros had just walked in the leading run. M's pitcher gives up the 3 run homer in the bottom half to lose. Ridiculous baseball tonight

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lmao at the yutz's throwing in the towel on Dyson and the team after three games.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lmao at the yutz's throwing in the towel on Dyson and the team after three games.

I think he is your closer but if he issues walks then a bases loaded walk it is ok to pull him for that night.

This seems taboo in baseball for the closer. Like they are so fragile. An off night perhaps if you are giving benefit of the doubt

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dyson is done. If the Rangers want to win a game in April it's time for a new closer.

Really wish we would have kept Ogando. That dude was straight up gangster on the mound.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he is your closer but if he issues walks then a bases loaded walk it is ok to pull him for that night.

This seems taboo in baseball for the closer. Like they are so fragile. An off night perhaps if you are giving benefit of the doubt

Sure. That's not my point. My point is the stupidity of a couple of posts in here stating the team needs to move on from Dyson and banister.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dyson is done. If the Rangers want to win a game in April it's time for a new closer.

Really wish we would have kept Ogando. That dude was straight up gangster on the mound.

You need to stop talking.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit....... I just watched the game. I got a good laugh when the Indians announcers made fun of our field ( which looks like poop). Lindors grand slam was a meatball served up by Dyson, half of the posters on this board would have hit it out of the park. I don't know what's up with Sam, but we got swept because of him. We should have won at least one game in this excruciating series, but the bull pen shit the bed every time. The line up is doing a good job in surviving without Beltre, but this is all on the pitching staff. Our "ace" starters Darvish and Hamels also coughed up leads. It's just a total let down. Just try to take a deep breath and relax. The Indians are a very good team, but they had no business sweeping us. We just choked. Badly....... almost as bad as the team choked in the playoffs last year.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeffress should be closing now imo........ I'd rather leave Bush in his current role as the guy who puts out the fire.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're not the boss.

Just trying to help you not look like an ignoramus. You're pretty knowledgeable about soccer and football, but let's face it. Baseball isn't your area of expertise.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't have a lot of time to spend here anymore, hope that changes soon. I'm not gonna become a negative nancy, but just want to point out this is exactly why I hate the shit out of Dyson. he's always been more concerned with what his postgame interview bit is going to be. Said I didn't like him last year because he couldn't be relied on and looks the same this year.

What is this teams deal with pitchers the year after they are our closer? Tolleson rocked in '15, sucked in '16. Dyson rocked first half of '16, sucked second half and in a tiny sample size sucks in '17.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This team can overcome an 0-3 start.

Dyson has the same brain and mental makeup as Holland, he's more interested in bits and being "odd" than he is in getting his head in the game. He's got a $.02 brain and I don't think he can cut it.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“I think it's a little early to reconsider things,” manager Jeff Banister said of his struggling bullpen. “We've been in this situation before. It doesn't look good because it's the start of the season. We got to find a way to figure it out. Sam's going to figure it out. We'll put our heads together and we'll work on it. This is a guy that's been really good for us. I’m not going to jump off after two games."

In those two appearances, the Rangers closer has allowed eight ninth-inning runs and has yet to complete the inning either time. What’s more surprising: It comes on the heel of nine scoreless innings split between the World Baseball Classic and spring training. He was perfect in six innings in the WBC.

“In the WBC, I had downward action on my fastball and guys were either swinging and missing or making weak contact,” Dyson said. “I’ve made some pitches down in the zone and guys are either laying off or putting them in play and through the infield.

“I haven’t gotten the leadoff guy either time and have immediately put my back against the wall,” he added. “I’ve got the ability to go out and execute the sinker and get ground balls. It’s frustrating because any time I get ground balls, I’m expecting it to get hit at somebody.”

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“I think it's a little early to reconsider things,” manager Jeff Banister said of his struggling bullpen. “We've been in this situation before. It doesn't look good because it's the start of the season. We got to find a way to figure it out. Sam's going to figure it out. We'll put our heads together and we'll work on it. This is a guy that's been really good for us. I’m not going to jump off after two games."

In those two appearances, the Rangers closer has allowed eight ninth-inning runs and has yet to complete the inning either time. What’s more surprising: It comes on the heel of nine scoreless innings split between the World Baseball Classic and spring training. He was perfect in six innings in the WBC.

“In the WBC, I had downward action on my fastball and guys were either swinging and missing or making weak contact,” Dyson said. “I’ve made some pitches down in the zone and guys are either laying off or putting them in play and through the infield.

“I haven’t gotten the leadoff guy either time and have immediately put my back against the wall,” he added. “I’ve got the ability to go out and execute the sinker and get ground balls. It’s frustrating because any time I get ground balls, I’m expecting it to get hit at somebody.”

Agree with Banny that you can't pull Dyson here this early, sends the wrong message to the team that a couple of mistakes will lose your job. However, I really hope we get some 8th inning leads against OAK and he can put Dyson out there in non save situations. This game may be the focusing agent he needs. The WBC showed what Sam can do when he isn't jacking around. I guarantee Sam spent more time figuring out what joke he was going to play in the post game than he spent thinking about what he needed to do to lock things down. He looks like the kinda guy that "I know how to do this" and then doesn't prep.

He needs the Kela treatment maybe, a clear message that he isn't the top dog and he better focus on the game because his team is counting on him.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps the biggest mystery is how quickly Dyson’s fortunes have changed. In the WBC, his fastball moved with electricity. It has not had the same action in his first two outings.

“I think he's just feeling for it a little bit,” said catcher Jonathan Lucroy, his teammate with Team USA. “He's just trying to get his feel for it and get going. It's tough sometimes. He's very out of character right now with his stuff. It's not there right now but he'll get it going. Of that I have no doubt.”

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No matter the outcome of the season --- I'm really excited in what I'm seeing for the future. Odor, Mazara, Gallo and Profar.

(I dont consider Rua, Deshields & DRob everyday players...so I'm not listing them here).

And you know, if the Rangers are sellers at the deadline --- they have a crop of top-tier players (Lucroy, Hamels, Darvish, Choo, Gomez, Napoli and even Beltre) that will fetch hefty sums to help strengthen the youth core for years to come.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you know, if the Rangers are sellers at the deadline --- they have a crop of top-tier players (Lucroy, Hamels, Darvish, Choo, Gomez, Napoli and even Beltre) that will fetch hefty sums to help strengthen the youth core for years to come.

I wouldn't put Choo, Napoli, or Gomez in the "top tier."

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No matter the outcome of the season --- I'm really excited in what I'm seeing for the future. Odor, Mazara, Gallo and Profar.

(I dont consider Rua, Deshields & DRob everyday players...so I'm not listing them here).

I don't think JD will ever trade Beltre. Choo has too big of a contract to get much of anything for him. Hamels will have to pitch better than he has since last June for anyone to take on his contract as well. Since then including the postseason his ERA is 4.48. Darvish, Lucroy, Napoli and Gomez could bring back quite a haul though.