• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Opening Day: Indians @ Mariners 3/29/18 - 4/1/18

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall I would say this was a successful series. Taking 2 from the Indians is a good start. Some bright spots and some bad though.

Good from the series:
-Mitch Haniger off to an impressive start.
-Cano is also swinging a hot bat.
-Gordon in my opinion was good too both at the plate and for the most part in the field. I think there will be times when his lack of experience in the outfield will show but his athleticism and speed can make up for some of it.
-Felix pitched better than I thought he would. Granted I don't think he looked "sharp" he still was able to keep them from crossing the plate.
-Leake pitched well also. Leake is what he is there will be times when he will get hit around a bit but I have confidence in him to be good for us.
-Diaz was a little rocky the first game but got the job done and looked great in his second outing.
-Cruz with 2 homers also good and hopefully injury isn't too bad.

The bad:
-Cruz and Zunino injuries. Hoping they are not out for too long and come back healthy.
-Paxton was not good. He has great "stuff" so not too worried about him yet. Its only 1 game.
-Seager was garbage if not for his lucky hit he would look even worse. 1 lucky for 10
-Healy 0-11.. do better.

Good start to the season. It is early and a lot of baseball to go. Go M's

Agree with all above

If Seager and Healy both continue to struggle... it will not matter how well the #3 4 guys hit as teams will start pitching around them to get to both Seager and Healy to get out of the innings.

I have said it before... we have already seen the best of Kyle Seager a couple years ago. He is not worth the nice contract extension we so eagerly tossed at him a couple years ago as he was improving year after year. Now he has been on a downward slide for 2 yrs in a row. I hope he is proud of pulling the ball to the right side and trying to find grass, when every team plays the full blown shift on him and he continues to hit right into it. At bat after at bat after at bat.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, I get his avg dipped last year and he is a notoriously slow starter, but if the last two years are as bad as some imply, what is a good to solid season to expect?

2016 .278/30/99
2017 .249/27/88

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good start against a high quality team. This lineup has enough depth and dangerous hitters that they don't all need to be producing in order to score enough to win, so I'm not that worried about Kyle Seager's slow start. It's 3 games. Some guys are hitting better now than what they can sustain over the course of the season, some guys aren't. That's going to be the case in just about every 3 game series. Healy isn't going 0 for the season. Haniger isn't hitting .600 when we get to September.

Would be nice if we can go a few days without any new injuries, and hopefully good news soon on Cruz & Zunino. That's a lot of pop not on the field right now. Gamel coming back would be nice as well.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, I get his avg dipped last year and he is a notoriously slow starter, but if the last two years are as bad as some imply, what is a good to solid season to expect?

2016 .278/30/99
2017 .249/27/88

He is making $20million fucking dollars a year for the next 4 years

At that salary ( which is top tier in MLB for 3rd basemen ) I expect him to produce offensive numbers inline with his 2016 season / and higher. Not regress in the 1st year of the big $$$ contract

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is making $20million fucking dollars a year for the next 4 years

At that salary ( which is top tier in MLB for 3rd basemen ) I expect him to produce offensive numbers inline with his 2016 season / and higher. Not regress in the 1st year of the big $$$ contract
Yeah I don't see Seager really putting up $20 mill a year numbers, and I don't really expect him to based on his hitting approach the last few seasons. I do think you can win with him though. The lineup around him should be pretty solid, which should help. If he can stay around 25+ homers and improve his BA from last season I think that plays well with this team. It is frustrating watching him hit right now.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I don't see Seager really putting up $20 mill a year numbers, and I don't really expect him to based on his hitting approach the last few seasons. I do think you can win with him though. The lineup around him should be pretty solid, which should help. If he can stay around 25+ homers and improve his BA from last season I think that plays well with this team. It is frustrating watching him hit right now.

I agree

He does not have to 'be the man' .... just be a contributor and not a rally killer. he is the most absolute hot and cold hitter in MLB. he will hit 5-6 HRs over a weekend series and then not hit another in 80 at bats. Same with base hits ... its red hot or ice cold. I would take steady medium numbers myself

We are stuck with him for 4 more years to the tune of $80 million so we better figure out a way to win with him

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thing with Seager I'd like to see them do is drop him in the order. Move him up to 5th when he is hot but outside of Gordon, Cano and Cruz noone should have a solid spot in the order. To me ideally the number 2 spot should go to who is the hotter hitter between Segura and Haniger. I get Ichiro/Heredia/Gamel in the 9 spot but I'm not a fan of batting Zunino 8th either.

But on a positive note, a solid series. Alot stuff went wrong yet they still got 2 of 3.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thing with Seager I'd like to see them do is drop him in the order. Move him up to 5th when he is hot but outside of Gordon, Cano and Cruz noone should have a solid spot in the order. To me ideally the number 2 spot should go to who is the hotter hitter between Segura and Haniger. I get Ichiro/Heredia/Gamel in the 9 spot but I'm not a fan of batting Zunino 8th either.

But on a positive note, a solid series. Alot stuff went wrong yet they still got 2 of 3.

If they did not bump him down in the line up last year when he was 0'fer April and May ... do you every think Servashit is going to hurt Seagers precious wittle feelz and have enough sack to drop him into the 7-8 spot ?

Never happen - Servashit is too busy coddling up to the veterans in the clubhouse who run the show.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah I agree.. i don't have a problem with moving Seager down in the order when he is cold. I wish Servais was more open to moving some of the guys around in the order based on performance but he likes to keep guys in familiar spots in the order especially the vets. I understand the argument for familiarity in the order but performance should be more important.

Adding Dee Gordon and moving Segura to 2 really lengthens the lineup, 3-8 could all hit 25+ plus home runs. I think most of us all felt pretty good with the offense and the potential the lineup has. We all know what could be the killer for us.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I agree.. i don't have a problem with moving Seager down in the order when he is cold. I wish Servais was more open to moving some of the guys around in the order based on performance but he likes to keep guys in familiar spots in the order especially the vets. I understand the argument for familiarity in the order but performance should be more important.

Adding Dee Gordon and moving Segura to 2 really lengthens the lineup, 3-8 could all hit 25+ plus home runs. I think most of us all felt pretty good with the offense and the potential the lineup has. We all know what could be the killer for us.

The Trident!

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the whole Seagar starting slow thing is somewhat overblown. If you actually look at his career splits, he has worse numbers in September then April.

Last year: 106 WRC+, .773 OPS, .249 AVG In April: 107 WRC+, .743 OPS, .245 AVG

I wanna say 2014 and 2016 that was the case but not necessarily always for him

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yea I have been clamoring for that for sometime. There is zero reason Seagar should be batting above Haniger. And I don't really count it happening when Cruz is out because that's strictly a righty lefty thing. I actually like the idea of Haniger at 2, I don't think Segura is a typically top the order guy and Haniger I think walks more so it would make sense.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they did not bump him down in the line up last year when he was 0'fer April and May ... do you every think Servashit is going to hurt Seagers precious wittle feelz and have enough sack to drop him into the 7-8 spot ?

Never happen - Servashit is too busy coddling up to the veterans in the clubhouse who run the show.

I couldn't agree more with this

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I have been clamoring for that for sometime. There is zero reason Seagar should be batting above Haniger. And I don't really count it happening when Cruz is out because that's strictly a righty lefty thing. I actually like the idea of Haniger at 2, I don't think Segura is a typically top the order guy and Haniger I think walks more so it would make sense.

I think Segura is a main stay in the #2 spot. Our top 4 will always be Gordon Segura Cano then Cruz provided they stay healthy.

Segure hits alot of line drives and ground balls and puts as many of them into right field as he does left. So he is likely to advance runners by hitting the ball behind them to the right side of the infield.

Our lineup needs to rotate the hot hitter into the 5 hole behind Cruz. Makes no difference to me if its Healy Seager Haniger or Zunino. Whomever is swing the bat best gets the spot.

Seager needs to concede that Haniger Zunino are just as good as hitters as he is. And Healy will have his stretches of 1 week hot streaks where he hits 3-4 bombs and bats .400+ with quite a few extra base hits.

Platooning Seager in that crucial lineup spot for the entire year is stupid. And hopefully that trend ends this season as there are options for ServesShit to deploy