• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part IV - A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to the Jackets/Devils game tonight. Jackets are honoring my son's team for winning the end of season CBJ Cup tournament.

I am genuinely curious to see if they give Dalton Prout a video tribute after snubbing Joey a few weeks back.

If they do, I am likely to boo for the entire time it is on screen.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, we have something that isn't working very well, should we change it? Nah, leave it alone. Status quo for the NHL.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not news, but these stories are just bloody powerful. Love this site.

Agreed, even the "fluff" pieces (by that site standards) are incredible.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the kicker right there though, Dacks - If it's a divisional game and you have a chance to gain 3 points on a team you're chasing in the division, it should provide that extra pep in your step (especially at this time of the year).

You would hope so, and for sure, for the last handful of games, when teams really know where it stands, I'm sure you would see that. Not so sure about the rest of the year. I'm sure there have been some papers written on the psychology of sports, but I think there is the risk of the following:

a) Playing a more aggressive style increases your expected G/60, but it also typically increases your expected GA/60. Often, "taking risks" increases your expected GA/60 by a larger amount than your own GF/60, but when you are losing or desperately need a regulation win, the trade-off is worth it.
b) Players hate to lose more than they want to win.

Put those two together, and my worry is that the bigger the swing in points, the more conservative teams get. Now, a system like 3-1-0 in soccer (three for a win, 1 for a tie) is a bit different, because they expected points per game is better to play an aggressive style, but then you get the whole dilemma of "not all games are worth the same amount", which, like you, I don't really like.

It would be great if we saw the effect of changes like this in other leagues - I know they test some NHL rule changes in the AHL (or one of the other minor leagues) but have they toyed with different points systems? What were the results?

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that player's tribune site as well, they do have some good stuff on that site.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great anthem by that kid :canada:

/lol he got ripped on twitter

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to the Jackets/Devils game tonight. Jackets are honoring my son's team for winning the end of season CBJ Cup tournament.

I am genuinely curious to see if they give Dalton Prout a video tribute after snubbing Joey a few weeks back.

If they do, I am likely to boo for the entire time it is on screen.

No video tribute for Prout, but he did get a decent ovation when he took a stupid tripping penalty.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Far be it from me to defend the Oilers, but when you haven't played meaningful hockey in March in a decade, it can be tough to find that extra stride.
I have a performance review coming up at work, if I get negatives I am going to use that excuse.

I also have one from my wife soon, I will probably need to use it there too.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Far be it from me to defend the Oilers, but when you haven't played meaningful hockey in March in a decade, it can be tough to find that extra stride.
Russell and Lucic were supposed to fix that, damnit!

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell and Lucic were supposed to fix that, damnit!

Russell? maybe if they got Kurt Russell :noidea:

Miracle-kurt-russell-18538616-720-540.jpg

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it was fine.

Because the Jackets were winning around half their games going in and now that they are back they've had 4 shutouts in the last six games in regulation. Even though they lost one of those.

Edit: 5 of the last seven.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gary Bettman on Glendale: "It didn't work"

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would hope so, and for sure, for the last handful of games, when teams really know where it stands, I'm sure you would see that. Not so sure about the rest of the year. I'm sure there have been some papers written on the psychology of sports, but I think there is the risk of the following:

a) Playing a more aggressive style increases your expected G/60, but it also typically increases your expected GA/60. Often, "taking risks" increases your expected GA/60 by a larger amount than your own GF/60, but when you are losing or desperately need a regulation win, the trade-off is worth it.
b) Players hate to lose more than they want to win.

Put those two together, and my worry is that the bigger the swing in points, the more conservative teams get. Now, a system like 3-1-0 in soccer (three for a win, 1 for a tie) is a bit different, because they expected points per game is better to play an aggressive style, but then you get the whole dilemma of "not all games are worth the same amount", which, like you, I don't really like.

It would be great if we saw the effect of changes like this in other leagues - I know they test some NHL rule changes in the AHL (or one of the other minor leagues) but have they toyed with different points systems? What were the results?

In general, never underestimate just how conservative and risk averse coaches in professional sports will be. Because no matter how safe you expect them to play, they will almost universally play it safer.

Status
Not open for further replies.