• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part IV - A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott Wheeler of the Athletic wrote an article ranking the prospect pools of each of the Canadian teams - Canucks are ranked #1 followed by the Flames and Leafs.

Team.png

Other items of note: He ranks Adam Fox as the top Flames prospect and also ranks Valimaki ahead of Juolevi.

11.png

21.png
Chabot is almost guaranteed to pass the rookie threshold this year, not sure why he's ranked as a prospect.

In the same vein, I think Travis Dermott is ahead of both Liljegren and Kapanen at the moment (I don't know how those two rank one on one either) for the Leafs.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chabot is almost guaranteed to pass the rookie threshold this year, not sure why he's ranked as a prospect.

In the same vein, I think Travis Dermott is ahead of both Liljegren and Kapanen at the moment (I don't know how those two rank one on one either) for the Leafs.

While he may not be there yet Liljegren has 3 years to just get to where Dermott is now, no? I think that puts him ahead for me.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While he may not be there yet Liljegren has 3 years to just get to where Dermott is now, no? I think that puts him ahead for me.
In that case so does Rasanen and whoever else the Leafs took this summer of that age. It’s not like Liljegren has been tearing up the A (or staying healthy) this year.

If we’re asking who, right now, the top prospect in the Leafs organization is I’d say it’s Dermott. The fact that this time next year Liljegren could be looking amazing doesn’t change what he is today for me.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In that case so does Rasanen and whoever else the Leafs took this summer of that age. It’s not like Liljegren has been tearing up the A (or staying healthy) this year.

If we’re asking who, right now, the top prospect in the Leafs organization is I’d say it’s Dermott. The fact that this time next year Liljegren could be looking amazing doesn’t change what he is today for me.

Rasanen is playing at the same level that Dermott was at his age (with similar success). So he's gotta progress just as quickly as Dermott already has to get to the same place. I don't think that's as likely a scenario as Liljegren's hypothetical required development.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gaudette's scoring at about the same pace that Vesey was at 21. That's decent but Vesey isn't much of an NHLer.

I give Dahlen a pass because of the mono. That fucked with Liljegren last season too.

I think Gaudettes farther ahead

Vesey draft+3 year = 58 points in 37 games
Gaudette draft+2 year = 52 points in 37 games

Fair chance Gaudette signs after the ncaa season and he's in a canucks uniform for some games in late March

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In case you guys are curious (I have a subscription with the Athletic), here are Wheeler's other rankings (3rd best prospect and best of the rest):

3.png

Rest1.png

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Gaudettes farther ahead

Vesey draft+3 year = 58 points in 37 games
Gaudette draft+2 year = 52 points in 37 games

Fair chance Gaudette signs after the ncaa season and he's in a canucks uniform for some games in late March
Eh. Both were drafted as over-agers in their draft years, both were the same age during the comparison season give or take a few months. Post-draft doesn't mean much into their early 20's for me.

Guess we'll find out when they call him up.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for sharing this. I thought Dermott might rank higher than that on a Toronto prospects list though.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know who Jeremey Bracco has pictures of but I certainly don't get the hype around this guy. Call me crazy but I'd take several Sens (and a couple Leafs) prospects that aren't listed here over Bracco.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh. Both were drafted as over-agers in their draft years, both were the same age during the comparison season give or take a few months. Post-draft doesn't mean much into their early 20's for me.

Guess we'll find out when they call him up.

give or take over a year lol

gaudette put up 52 points as a 20 year old
vesey put up 58 points as a 21 year old (and turned 22 2 months after the season was over)

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My main takeaway from Wheeler's article is that the Oilers are still in deep shit even with McJesus. They still have to give Darnell Nurse a significant raise and have to decide if they want to keep Maroon. The Oilers prospect pool looks pretty bleak after Yamamoto and to be honest, I wasn't all that impressed with his play at the recent WJHC tourney. They can't draft well aside from lottery picks (and let's be honest, any of us could have made those selections).

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gaudettes college coach (biased of course) in the cesspool just compared Gaudette to Kesler ... without the head snap and philandering ways i hope lol

/this post brought to you by poonerman

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My main takeaway from Wheeler's article is that the Oilers are still in deep shit even with McJesus. They still have to give Darnell Nurse a significant raise and have to decide if they want to keep Maroon. The Oilers prospect pool looks pretty bleak after Yamamoto and to be honest, I wasn't all that impressed with his play at the recent WJHC tourney. They can't draft well aside from lottery picks (and let's be honest, any of us could have made those selections).

That's the kicker. They rarely get a quality player outside of the 1st round. A lot of it is luck but to NEVER get any players later in the draft is beyond bad luck. Their scouting sucks. Period.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eric Lindros will have his #88 raised to the rafters in Philly tonight. Good for the Big E and congrats.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ryan+Murray+Nail+Yakupov+2012+NHL+Entry+Draft+QWZN0O-5s9il.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.