• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part IV - A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FACEOFF RULES ARE WORKING!

Right barrel, wrong apple.

Yes, there is only so much you can do in defensive systems even at the NHL level. But the increase in scoring is not because coaches are learning how to break those systems. It's because the players that are coming into the NHL nowadays are better prepared, more talented and light years faster than players of the past. They are simply too good to be contained by any "system". A mid-round draft pick the last three years is probably better conditioned, better trained and more physically talented than a first overall entering the league 30 years ago. How many "Generational" talents have we seen the last ten years?

Hell, we've had a few drafts where more than one "generational" talent was chosen lately. Eichel and McDavid. Malkin and Ovechkin. We are living in amazing times. The things the players are doing is amazing.

And to think, they did it all without putting the goalies at risk or enlarging the nets.
I mean, define generational? Are we talking HHOF'ers? Most drafts from 86-96 had at least 2 HHOF'ers or will-be HHOF'ers. The draft classes in the late 90s stunk but those before it and after it had the same share of stars that drafts in the early 10's did.

The increased number of teams and the added opportunity that affords and the added internationalism of the game mean there should be a higher number of “generational” talents in the league anyway. The generational talents of the last ten years are the ones who presided over a league that became harder to score in in the first place, in the same way generational guys like Lemieux and Gretzky saw the 90s scoring dip happen in their primes.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, define generational? Are we talking HHOF'ers? Most drafts from 86-96 had at least 2 HHOF'ers or will-be HHOF'ers. The draft classes in the late 90s stunk but those before it and after it had the same share of stars that drafts in the early 10's did.

The increased number of teams and the added opportunity that affords and the added internationalism of the game mean there should be a higher number of “generational” talents in the league anyway. The generational talents of the last ten years are the ones who presided over a league that became harder to score in in the first place, in the same way generational guys like Lemieux and Gretzky saw the 90s scoring dip happen in their primes.

It used to be generational was guys like Gretz and Lemieux. The head and shoulders above "greats". There was a long time before "The Next One" (Lindros, and he never fully achieved that level).

Now, it seems every year there is a guy coming along that gets tagged that way. Crosby, McDavid, OV, Malkin, Mathews, Eichel...

The level of the talent has risen to absurd levels, but perhaps the term "generational" hasn't evolved.

Apples to apples, guys chosen first overall like Jovanoski, Phillips and Stefan (who had great careers) don't hold a candle to the athleticism, preparation and raw talent that guys chosen recently in early to middle of 1st rounds lately do. Draisaitl, Werenski, Burakovski, Forsberg.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It used to be generational was guys like Gretz and Lemieux. The head and shoulders above "greats". There was a long time before "The Next One" (Lindros, and he never fully achieved that level).

Now, it seems every year there is a guy coming along that gets tagged that way. Crosby, McDavid, OV, Malkin, Mathews, Eichel...

The level of the talent has risen to absurd levels, but perhaps the term "generational" hasn't evolved.

Apples to apples, guys chosen first overall like Jovanoski, Phillips and Stefan (who had great careers) don't hold a candle to the athleticism, preparation and raw talent that guys chosen recently in early to middle of 1st rounds lately do. Draisaitl, Werenski, Burakovski, Forsberg.
Like I said, those drafts were butt but you were finding stars mid-round and later in drafts before them. Since you mentioned Lindros, some of the guys drafted after him in 91 were Niedermayer, Forsberg, Kovalev and Naslund.

I mean, I can point to drafts from 2010-2014 and ask where the Draisaitl's Werenski's etc. are there. Quickly scanning those 5 drafts, the only guys after the top two picks in the first round (and sometimes not even that - 11, 12 and 14 were just bad overall) that would get anybody excited are Tarasenko, Scheifele, Forsberg and Drai. For me, that's just showing that this stuff is cyclical.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, those drafts were butt but you were finding stars mid-round and later in drafts before them. Since you mentioned Lindros, some of the guys drafted after him in 91 were Niedermayer, Forsberg, Kovalev and Naslund.

I mean, I can point to drafts from 2010-2014 and ask where the Draisaitl's Werenski's etc. are there. Quickly scanning those 5 drafts, the only guys after the top two picks in the first round (and sometimes not even that - 11, 12 and 14 were just bad overall) that would get anybody excited are Tarasenko, Scheifele, Forsberg and Drai. For me, that's just showing that this stuff is cyclical.

I guess I am not explaining my point. It's not that some drafts are great, an some suck. It's that on the whole players today are light years ahead of players from 25-30 years ago in talent level. There seem to be so many more studs coming into the league and at younger ages than there ever used to be. I tried to use the sheer number of "generational" talents as an example. By definition a generational talent should be once a generation. Not 7 in ten years.

Plus the equipment is better. Seems inevitable that scoring would go up once the defensive schemes hit their peak. Doesn't necessarily mean the coaches are better. They just have better weapons to deploy..

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I don't know who came up with the design for both benches at Little Caesar's Arena to use a shared tunnel to get to the respective dressing rooms, but I have a feeling this won't be the last time we will see player altercations down that tunnel.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I like how incredulous he looks when he sees the ref's arm go up.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coyotes just won their first game in regulation time this season defeating Les Habitants 5-4

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Matthews, Schneider played out of his mind and we got a PP in OT, still blew it with 2 seconds left. Take the point and move on but man that's a game you need to win.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont bother reading it. Just laugh at what u see

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An Ontario born first overall draft pick is leading the NHL scoring race. His closest competition is his winger -- an overseas import who is leading the league in goals scored. Nope, it's not Connor and Leon, it's Steve and Nikita.

/Steve and Nikita combined for 7 points in a 6-1 win while Connor and Leon combined for zero points in a 4-1 loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.