• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part IV - A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on the giant sample size of one pre-season game, it might appear that the Blue Jackets sent the wrong goalie in the Saad deal.

I always thought Forsberg had more upside than Korpisalo, but for some reason he never showed it at the NHL level. He could settle in out there is ChiTown.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Erik Burgdoerfer is my new favo(u)rite name in the NHL.

With the number of times I heard it last night, Vinnie Hinistroza really started to grow on me.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"You can't do that" was so last season - This season, it's "Get in there"

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a follow-up on the Duchene rumo(u)r to Ottawa - Apparently, Sakic was asking for Chabot+ and the conversation ended rather abruptly.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a follow-up on the Duchene rumo(u)r to Ottawa - Apparently, Sakic was asking for Chabot+ and the conversation ended rather abruptly.

I don't usually put too much stock in prospects who haven't played pro yet, but in this case I'm pretty happy with keeping Chabot +.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't usually put too much stock in prospects who haven't played pro yet, but in this case I'm pretty happy with keeping Chabot +.
I feel like that's both a fair ask and a fair refusal.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On another board, somebody pulled up the career numbers for Jordan Eberle and Matt Duchene and they are pretty similar:

Matt Duchene: 572 GP, 174 G, 418P (.73 PPG, .30 GPG)
Jordan Eberle: 507 GP, 165 G, 382P (.75 PPG, .32 GPG)

Now you can say that Chiarelli got hornswoggled and I agree that he likely should have received more, but if Jordan Eberle only returns Ryan Strome, I don't think Matt Duchene is going to fetch all that much more.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On another board, somebody pulled up the career numbers for Jordan Eberle and Matt Duchene and they are pretty similar:

Now you can say that Chiarelli got hornswoggled and I agree that he likely should have received more, but if Jordan Eberle only returns Ryan Strome, I don't think Matt Duchene is going to fetch all that much more.

Which makes the rumors of some of the rejected deals all the more mind boggling.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Which makes the rumors of some of the rejected deals all the more mind boggling.
It’s a fair comparison, but to go along with (what I believe to be, even if marginally) a superior skill set he’s also a centre. How many teams that flopped in the playoffs last year would you say could really, really use a good top 6 centreman (that is to say at least one of their two top 6 guys are absolutely 100% worse than Duchene would be) to maybe shift from playoff contender to Cup contender? To the best of my recollection that list would include Montreal, NYR, Ottawa, Columbus, Chicago, Nashville, Minny, St. Louis, Calgary. That’s 9/16 playoff teams and that doesn’t even get into the non-playoff teams.

So, you’re a GM and in June 2018 you’re answering questions on sports talk radio wondering why the hell your team spent the season weak at centre and wound up losing in the 2nd round when there was a bonafide top 6 guy available for a good prospect and some picks. How do you answer that? How does 1/3rd or more of the league pass on this but teams are out here trading 28 pt defenceman Jason Demers for 20 pt winger Jamie McGinn and holding onto salary?!

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the fact that Duchene can play either centre or wing gives him extra cachet with GMs around the league and there's no doubt that he has much better wheels than Eberle. He's under contract for this season and next, thus any team that trades for him also has to realize that they might only have his services for two years.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s a fair comparison, but to go along with (what I believe to be, even if marginally) a superior skill set he’s also a centre. How many teams that flopped in the playoffs last year would you say could really, really use a good top 6 centreman (that is to say at least one of their two top 6 guys are absolutely 100% worse than Duchene would be) to maybe shift from playoff contender to Cup contender? To the best of my recollection that list would include Montreal, NYR, Ottawa, Columbus, Chicago, Nashville, Minny, St. Louis, Calgary. That’s 9/16 playoff teams and that doesn’t even get into the non-playoff teams.

So, you’re a GM and in June 2018 you’re answering questions on sports talk radio wondering why the hell your team spent the season weak at centre and wound up losing in the 2nd round when there was a bonafide top 6 guy available for a good prospect and some picks. How do you answer that? How does 1/3rd or more of the league pass on this but teams are out here trading 28 pt defenceman Jason Demers for 20 pt winger Jamie McGinn and holding onto salary?!

Oh no doubt it's not a one to one comparison.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like that's both a fair ask and a fair refusal.

It's certainly a lot fairer ask than Murray, Carlsson, Milano and 2 firsts.

At what point is Joe going to get it into his head that he doesn't have the pot of gold he thinks he does? How bad is it going to get in that room before he realizes it?

Is there a GM who hasn't hung up on Joe yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.