• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

One and Not Done - 30 For 30

UKnation87

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wondering if anyone on the board took the time to watch the 30 for 30 and if so, what are your thoughts.

For the Cal haters, did it change your mind at all about him?

Discuss below.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did they talk about how he's the only coach to be at hist ever FF 3 times?

:lol::yes::suds::pound:

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did watch it. I thought it was very good. I wasn't as interested in the UK dialogue because all that stuff I can recollect on my own, I figured he was going to be really successful at UK given his ability to recruit. I was more interested in what happened at Umass and in his New Jersey Nets days. I didn't know how downtrodden the Umass program was when he took it over. He did a heck of a job turning that thing around, and in a relatively short amount of time, which I think speaks to how good he is as a motivator. I think the whole Camby situation was something he didn't know was happening and was out of his control. I think the fact that Camby reimbursed the school the amount of money it lost, kind of leads me to believe it was his own doing(or his family/friends own doing). The Nets thing was a debacle, and having watched, I just don't think he fits the mold of an NBA head coach. He's great at recruiting and motivating, which is something that isn't a necessity at the NBA level. I would put his X's and O's as the 3rd best thing he does, which isn't to knock him, it's just how I see it.

I never really "hated" Cal. It's just that UK, like Duke, Kansas, UNC etc... all fall under the same umbrella and that is if you don't like them, you probably hate them. But that stems from all the success those programs have had, which should be a compliment to those programs. It didn't really change my mind on Cal at all, mostly because the perception I had of him going into the 30 for 30 was for the most part portrayed in the documentary. I don't think there's anything sinister with his recruiting tactics. He's a great recruiter, at a blue blood school, who has sent like 20 kids to the NBA as 1st rounders since he's been at UK. That's why kids want to play for him. If the school and program are fine with how he's running the program, who am I to judge? He's had great results.

UKnation87

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did they talk about how he's the only coach to be at hist ever FF 3 times?

:lol::yes::suds::pound:

English MOTHER FUCKER.... do you speak it?

:noidea:

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did watch it. I thought it was very good. I wasn't as interested in the UK dialogue because all that stuff I can recollect on my own, I figured he was going to be really successful at UK given his ability to recruit. I was more interested in what happened at Umass and in his New Jersey Nets days. I didn't know how downtrodden the Umass program was when he took it over. He did a heck of a job turning that thing around, and in a relatively short amount of time, which I think speaks to how good he is as a motivator. I think the whole Camby situation was something he didn't know was happening and was out of his control. I think the fact that Camby reimbursed the school the amount of money it lost, kind of leads me to believe it was his own doing(or his family/friends own doing). The Nets thing was a debacle, and having watched, I just don't think he fits the mold of an NBA head coach. He's great at recruiting and motivating, which is something that isn't a necessity at the NBA level. I would put his X's and O's as the 3rd best thing he does, which isn't to knock him, it's just how I see it.

I never really "hated" Cal. It's just that UK, like Duke, Kansas, UNC etc... all fall under the same umbrella and that is if you don't like them, you probably hate them. But that stems from all the success those programs have had, which should be a compliment to those programs. It didn't really change my mind on Cal at all, mostly because the perception I had of him going into the 30 for 30 was for the most part portrayed in the documentary. I don't think there's anything sinister with his recruiting tactics. He's a great recruiter, at a blue blood school, who has sent like 20 kids to the NBA as 1st rounders since he's been at UK. That's why kids want to play for him. If the school and program are fine with how he's running the program, who am I to judge? He's had great results.

I watched it. UK has been through a bunch of coaches. Some have had success and some haven't. Cal has to be a pretty good coach or else he wouldn't have been successful as he's been at UMass, Memphis, or UK. And I don't hate Cal either, or UK for that matter. He should have won a title at Memphis but that team with Derrick Rose choked. I never thought he'd win a title when UK hired him, but he proved me wrong.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched it. UK has been through a bunch of coaches. Some have had success and some haven't. Cal has to be a pretty good coach or else he wouldn't have been successful as he's been at UMass, Memphis, or UK. And I don't hate Cal either, or UK for that matter. He should have won a title at Memphis but that team with Derrick Rose choked. I never thought he'd win a title when UK hired him, but he proved me wrong.

Oh, I do think he's a very good coach, I'd sure as hell take him to coach my team. I think he's great at motivating and recruiting, and is still very good with X's and O's, but I wouldn't put that as his strongest quality. There are some coaches I'd take ahead of him as far as X's and O's goes, but he'd be my #1 or #2 guy as far as recruiting/motivating(right there with coach K)

UKnation87

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm guessing most people who will jump on this thread probably fall into the same category as you.

I was hoping to hear from the people who truly feel or believe that Cal has to cheat to win and/or recruit top talent, and get their thoughts after watching the 30 for 30.

A couple of guys on a local sports talk show here in Nashville spoke very differently about Cal after watching it which is what caused to put this out there.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing most people who will jump on this thread probably fall into the same category as you.

I was hoping to hear from the people who truly feel or believe that Cal has to cheat to win and/or recruit top talent, and get their thoughts after watching the 30 for 30.

A couple of guys on a local sports talk show here in Nashville spoke very differently about Cal after watching it which is what caused to put this out there.

I never hated Cal either. Thought he might have been a little scummier than some other coaches but not a "true" cheater. He can coach, can motivate players and recruit.

To be honest Umass really hasn't been that great since he left.. Granted it is very hard to get talent to go to Amherst.