• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ondrej Palat signs a 5 year extension

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Tampa Bay Lightning have re-signed forward Ondrej Palat to a five-year contract worth $5.3-million AAV, vice president and general manager Steve Yzerman announced Friday.

I'm going to start off by saying this is another team friendly deal but I'm not a huge fan of this deal. The Lightning recently re-signed Johnson to a 7 year deal. Out of the two, Palat is the one who should have landed the 7 year deal. It's not often you say a player doesn't get enough term but I think that's the case here especially when you think Killorn was able to land a 7 year deal last summer. For me Palat is the glue of this team, play him in any role, any situation and he's an effective player, he does it all and based of this contract extension, I would say he's under appreciated.

With that signing, I imagine Stevie Y offseason is complete. Roll on October! GO BOLTS!!!

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the signing except for one thing. Next year y'all have Namestnikov coming up as a RFA and Kucherov the year after. Tampa has to come up with money for at least Kucherov if not both.

I_Shall_Return

The Umpire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the signing except for one thing. Next year y'all have Namestnikov coming up as a RFA and Kucherov the year after. Tampa has to come up with money for at least Kucherov if not both.

I agree with you 150%! This was my thinking when I read about the T. Johnson signing. It could have been money savings. Well, Stevie Y is supposed to be some sort of god around here, I guess we will see!

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Namestinkov won't command that much and personally I don't think Lightning view him as a core player and could be traded next summer. If he were to get a new deal I think he'll get a 3 year deal at most and get $3 mill at most. In regards to Kucherov, when his deal is up the likes of Stralman, Coburn and Girardi's contract will be off the book and Callahan will have 1 year left on his deal which the bolts could buyout at that point. Looking ahead I think either Brayden Point and Andrei Vasilevski will be the one who the bolts won't be able to keep. With Vasy being the more important player, I would imagine he would be the one who the Lightning would commit long term.

To be a successful organization you need to be able to draft and develop and in my opinion this organization is one of the best in the NHL. When you are competitive, you are going to be up against the cap just like the bolts are and when you are up against the cap you have to make tough decisions and you may lose certain players. That is why you need a good pipeline of prospects and that's what the bolts have. So if you lose a Point in a couple years time you have the likes of Howden, Cirelli, Stephens coming through. If you lose Namestinkov you have the likes of Erne, Katchouk, Raddysh and Yan coming through. If you lose a Stralman or a Coburn you have the likes of Sergachev, Hajek, Thomas, Masin, Cernak and Foote. If you lose Vasilevski you have Ingram coming through. The prospect pool the bolts have is a very deep and very talented one and the player i'm looking forward to seeing develop is Alexander Volkov who was the bolts 2nd round pick last year. He's russian born and turns 20 in August and will be playing in Syracuse next year. He's raw but extremly gifted and people described the pick as a bases loaded strike out or a grand slam so I guess we'll wait and see.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Palat contract is a very good avv 5.3 and great term of only 5 years. Ya down the line yzerman has got to deal with Kucherov, Vasy and Point. But pretty much any contract can be moved on this club by that time other then callahan. Yzerman has shown when he needs cap space he can move one or two guys to get space. He moved Garrison and Filppula. But for the Next two season the Lightning are not going to have any cap issues what so ever. I'd bet when we got to sign kucherov, Point and Vasy that Killorn gets moved. Stevie has shown he will move out vets to sign his core guys No problem. Killorn is 4.45 AVV, Johnson AVV 5 and Palat AVV of 5.3. It's no surprise these guys are signed to good cap hits just in case yzerman has to move one or two down the years.

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kucherov is the main priority, I wouldn't be suprised if they start talking about a new deal after next season. I do think your right todd about moving Killorn but will they be able to get a trading partner is the question? The AAV isn't bad but there would be 4 years left on his deal will your probably need to move him which is a couple summers from now. He would be 30 then and going into the backend of his career. I like the AAV on Killer's deal but the term was too long, don't understand how Palat got 5 years but Killorn got 7, doesn't make sense to me.