• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

On the bright side.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our defense is looking really good this year. I know people like to harp on a few plays where coverage is busted, and people think every dropped pass is somehow a negative(especially against bad teams), but this team is quickly becoming one of the better defenses we've had in recent years. I'm not sure I'd say 2011 levels just yet, but it's getting there.

Sometimes big plays are going to happen. That's just the nature of things. We can only hope to minimize them as much as possible. Eddie Jackson took a bad angle on that one play, otherwise that wouldn't have been a long TD catch/run. He also got a bit manhandled with the stiff arm after the fact. But overall it was a solid effort for our defense, especially given our lack of depth with the corners. If these guys are playing this good this year, then next year they are going to be lights out.

Our defense won the game this past weekend. They should have won the game against Ole Miss from what I've gathered, but broke down late. Arkansas ran 79 plays against our defense and by the end of the game our defensive front was clearly the victor in the trenches. That bodes well for our future.

6th in the nation for scoring defense. 23 is the most we've given up, twice now. Although the 23 we gave up to WVU was really only 16. And this is while our offense has at times sputtered or been the direct cause of given up points - as was the case with Florida for example. I haven't run the numbers or anything, but I would bet if we took out the offense giving away points we would easily be the #1 defense statistically.

I really don't understand why some people are talking trash about our defense. Yeah, some plays happened because the receivers dropped the balls, and the QB missed his guy by 10 yards. That's why they aren't highly ranked passing teams. Not even the best teams are going to capitalize on such things all the time. It's part of the game. You'd like to see them all covered, but it's not realistic. 1st downs are going to happen. Plays are going to happen. Especially in this day when offenses are given so much help.

And how about J.K. Scott. Such a talent, pinned every single punt inside the 20 that was possible. The only one he didn't pin there was one that was out of reach, as it was from inside our own 20. I hope Saban takes note of this and starts playing field position instead of attempting 50 yard field goals. Surely the odds must be in favor of field position. He's a true freshman too, and wasn't even here for the spring. A natural talent. Which is great because after watching a QB do punts in the A game, I was worried about the position. I just hope we don't have to use him so much in the future, but great knowing he is there.

And finally, it was a road win, in bad weather and I don't believe we sustained anymore injuries - although I have not heard much on cooper.

Last edited by a moderator:

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our defense is looking really good this year. I know people like to harp on a few plays where coverage is busted, and people think every dropped pass is somehow a negative(especially against bad teams), but this team is quickly becoming one of the better defenses we've had in recent years. I'm not sure I'd say 2011 levels just yet, but it's getting there.

Sometimes big plays are going to happen. That's just the nature of things. We can only hope to minimize them as much as possible. Eddie Jackson took a bad angle on that one play, otherwise that wouldn't have been a long TD catch/run. He also got a bit manhandled with the stiff arm after the fact. But overall it was a solid effort for our defense, especially given our lack of depth with the corners. If these guys are playing this good this year, then next year they are going to be lights out.

Our defense won the game this past weekend. They should have won the game against Ole Miss from what I've gathered, but broke down late. Arkansas ran 79 plays against our defense and by the end of the game our defensive front was clearly the victor in the trenches. That bodes well for our future.

6th in the nation for scoring defense. 23 is the most we've given up, twice now. Although the 23 we gave up to WVU was really only 16. And this is while our offense has at times sputtered or been the direct cause of given up points - as was the case with Florida for example. I haven't run the numbers or anything, but I would bet if we took out the offense giving away points we would easily be the #1 defense statistically.

I really don't understand why some people are talking trash about our defense. Yeah, some plays happened because the receivers dropped the balls, and the QB missed his guy by 10 yards. That's why they aren't highly ranked passing teams. Not even the best teams are going to capitalize on such things all the time. It's part of the game. You'd like to see them all covered, but it's not realistic. 1st downs are going to happen. Plays are going to happen. Especially in this day when offenses are given so much help.

And how about J.K. Scott. Such a talent, pinned every single punt inside the 20 that was possible. The only one he didn't pin there was one that was out of reach, as it was from inside our own 20. I hope Saban takes note of this and starts playing field position instead of attempting 50 yard field goals. Surely the odds must be in favor of field position. He's a true freshman too, and wasn't even here for the spring. A natural talent. Which is great because after watching a QB do punts in the A game, I was worried about the position. I just hope we don't have to use him so much in the future, but great knowing he is there.

And finally, it was a road win, in bad weather and I don't believe we sustained anymore injuries - although I have not heard much on cooper.

Good analysis 4down, I agree with pretty much everything. I was on the road a little bit ago and listened to Saban's press conference, he got pretty heated (pissed! lol) about other peoples expectations for us at one point but I'm sure you'll hear all about that soon enough. Anyway, he mentioned Cooper being limited today but should be good to go later in the week and that there really wasn't anything new as far as any other injuries or anything.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Our defense is solid. Our offense has put our defense in a lot of bad situations this year and that's where a lot of our points are given up.

OnlyCrimson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With just a little bit better cornerback play and we would all be saying how great this defense is.