• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OMG Texas Cheated?

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm delusional, but I don't think it happens at every program --- at least in terms of straight up paying players. There's a risk vs. reward balance there, and I think some schools simply don't need to risk that kind of activity. I think players at every school get some benefits that would probably break NCAA rules but are rather minor in the grand scheme. Like free meals, free merch, maybe some instructors give them a better grade than they should...that kind of thing. Or, in OSU's case, turning in your car for repairs and getting a free rental sports car for 6 months. But flat out pay players? That's pretty damn risky. And at schools like Alabama, it's unnecessary.

Try parents getting jobs.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was referring more to receiving $100 hand shakes from boosters en sech.
Maybe. And quite honestly, I don't really have an issue with that kind of stuff. Some of the regulations they put on these kids is ridiculous. Giving a kid money to get McDonald's is different than paying the dad of Cam Newton $200,000.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There isn't.

Boosters are hooking up parents with jobs.
I still don't have a problem with that. There's no way to regulate that really and giving people jobs to actually work is a pretty low level benefit....so long as they're actually working.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UConn doesn't have the money to cheat. Otherwise they'd be buying better basketball players.
We give 'em all the tacos and tequila they want.

Unfortunately, our ONLY recruiting tool was Juarez and that is a no no nowadays. Used to get anything from hookers to steroids over there. Now, you just get shot.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't say who but I know UCONNdid that

Yup.

I know.

I'm not claiming uconn is innocent, just that they can't do the "oops I left my briefcase/gym bag in the limo and it just happens to include a huge wad of cash in it...." like a Duke or Kentucky can.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UGH.

Chrissy Sims was already persona nongrata in Austin.......he's making sure he's never allowed in the state of Texas ever again

It's bad enough he sucked ass......running your mouth when you didn't win shit is always a good way to make friends and influence people

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UGH.

Chrissy Sims was already persona nongrata in Austin.......he's making sure he's never allowed in the state of Texas ever again

It's bad enough he sucked ass......running your mouth when you didn't win shit is always a good way to make friends and influence people

He really didn't say anything that bad. His quote was pretty much, random booster you've never met before runs into you, you sign 10 jerseys for him, and then he slips you a $100.

He didn't say, Texas paid me to go to school there.

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fake news.

He never actually got paid.

His payment was intercepted by Roy Williams.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've hired players from Oklahoma for summer jobs that were a damn good deal for them. We actually make people work though. And just so my wife doesn't get on my ass too bad about doing it (even though she's a huge OU fan) we also hire some college students for these summer positions based on their academic accomplishments. Admittedly some of the nerds aren't strong enough to do hard physical work but we still get our money's worth out of them. And, yes, some of the "nerds" are girls so we cover that base too. Point is, every school does have something going on that helps players. A couple of our companies have top executives from other schools (shudder, including Texas) and those guys sometimes hire kids from their favorite schools for summer stuff. BFD. I am 100% against letting players become pros but I would be a hypocrite to say a Golden Handshake or some reasonable extra bennies (like clothes, movie tickets, food coupons, etc.) are any threat to the sanctity of college sports.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bunch of delusional homers around here then...cuz some of 'em think their schools are as pure as driven snow!

I actually think most coaches try to run a clean program. There are plenty that ignore the signs, because they do not want to know, but I think the number of coaches that are actively involved is quite low.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think most coaches try to run a clean program. There are plenty that ignore the signs, because they do not want to know, but I think the number of coaches that are actively involved is quite low.

I personally saw stuff years ago that would never be tolerated now. The coaches aren't stupid; some things still occur but it's not Saturday night in Dodge City like it was in the past.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't give a fuck about $100 handshakes.