• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Omar's Album Reviews of The Rolling Stones' Top 500 Albums (and some other albums too)

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@SlinkyRedfoot when I click on your profile, it says you're a "Male" who lives in "Cripple Creek." Did you never get the surgery? I got mine last Tuesday and everything looks great. PM me if it's a money issue.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blonde On Blonde: 3.5/5 stars. Rank on RS Top 500 Albums List: 9

220px-Bob_Dylan_-_Blonde_on_Blonde.jpg

Due to this album's fairly long nature (72 minutes) and the amount of obscure Dylan lyrics, I've been sitting on this review for nearly three months now; listening to the album at least once a week. I'll give the good and the bad of this album: the good is that tracks 3-6 may be the best four songs in a row on an album ever; or at least it's up there. The bad is that the rest of the album is pretty mediocre.

Tracks 3-6 consist of "Visions of Johanna," "One of Us Must Know (Sooner or Later)," "I Want You," and "Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again" (the album's only masterpiece). Needless to say, fucking historic songs. My first time listening to the album, I heard "Rainy Day #12 & 35" and "Pledging My Time," which were both kinda mediocre on first listen, and then I heard those four songs and I was thinking "holy shit, this could be one of my favorite albums of all time." It wasn't to be.

Like I said before, the rest of the album is pretty meh. "Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat"? I mean really, Dylan. And really tracks 10-14 do nothing for me at all ("Temporary Like Achilles," "Absolutely Sweet Marie," "Fourth Time Around," "Obviously Five Believers," and "Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands"). Particularly, it sounds like he was trying to recreate the subtle magic of "Desolation Row" with "Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands," but man he failed miserably (which is part testament to how good "Desolation Row" is). Honestly, I don't know that I'll ever listen to those 5 songs again after listening for the past three months, unless they come on my Pandora station or something.

I have somewhat mixed feelings about this album, but the strength of a few select songs and the above averageness of others makes it a good album overall, IMO. I still like Highway 61 Revisited (4/5 stars) more though.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blonde On Blonde: 3.5/5 stars. Rank on RS Top 500 Albums List: 9

220px-Bob_Dylan_-_Blonde_on_Blonde.jpg

Due to this album's fairly long nature (72 minutes) and the amount of obscure Dylan lyrics, I've been sitting on this review for nearly three months now; listening to the album at least once a week. I'll give the good and the bad of this album: the good is that tracks 3-6 may be the best four songs in a row on an album ever; or at least it's up there. The bad is that the rest of the album is pretty mediocre.

Tracks 3-6 consist of "Visions of Johanna," "One of Us Must Know (Sooner or Later)," "I Want You," and "Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again" (the album's only masterpiece). Needless to say, fucking historic songs. My first time listening to the album, I heard "Rainy Day #12 & 35" and "Pledging My Time," which were both kinda mediocre on first listen, and then I heard those four songs and I was thinking "holy shit, this could be one of my favorite albums of all time." It wasn't to be.

Like I said before, the rest of the album is pretty meh. "Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat"? I mean really, Dylan. And really tracks 10-14 do nothing for me at all ("Temporary Like Achilles," "Absolutely Sweet Marie," "Fourth Time Around," "Obviously Five Believers," and "Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands"). Particularly, it sounds like he was trying to recreate the subtle magic of "Desolation Row" with "Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands," but man he failed miserably (which is part testament to how good "Desolation Row" is). Honestly, I don't know that I'll ever listen to those 5 songs again after listening for the past three months, unless they come on my Pandora station or something.

I have somewhat mixed feelings about this album, but the strength of a few select songs and the above averageness of others makes it a good album overall, IMO. I still like Highway 61 Revisited (4/5 stars) more though.

tenor.gif

...and you talk like a fag and your shit's all retarded.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not much of a Genesis nor Peter Gabriel fan. His music is pleasant enough. It doesn't bother me, it just doesn't move me.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I haven't done this in a while, so like all struggling writers/musicians/actors/whatever the fuck this is I knew that I needed to reinvent myself. The fans were tired of reading about the Abbey Road's and Are You Experienced's of the world. I had to dig in and come out with something new. On that note,

Straight Up: 4/5 stars. Rank on RS Top 500 Albums List: N/A

220px-BadfingerStraightUp.jpg

Heralded as the second coming of The Beatles, only to sell a million records and then have their careers stolen by a swindling businessman; Badfinger's music is actually really, really fucking awesome. Yes, of course, it's sad what happened to Pete Ham and Tom Evans, and of course the fact that the band basically ended up broke despite being so talented and successful in the industry; but just focusing on the music, there's a lot of great shit, and this album is an excellent showcase.

There's one song on here that is a masterpiece/top 250 song of all time, "Baby Blue" (famously used in the series finale of Breaking Bad), but there's a ton of other good and great songs on this album, especially on side two. My other favorites are "Day After Day," "Perfection," "Sweet Tuesday Morning," and "I'd Die Babe."

The album feels like a continuation of The Beatles' early work. No, there's no trippy psychedelic music or progressive instrumentation like in The Beatles' later work, but there are a lot of awesome melodies, verses, and choruses. In fact, Badfinger may be the best band ever when it comes to verse/chorus interplay.

If you haven't heard Straight Up, or haven't heard it in a while- go give it a listen. You won't regret it.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had a handful of great singles, they were with Apple and some people thought they actually might be the Beatles in the beginning, is all know about them.

I think Paul Mcartney helped them with their stuff.
Probably why they sound so much like him.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Paul Mcartney helped them with their stuff.
Probably why they sound so much like him.
George Harrison co-produced Straight Up. Badfinger also appeared on Harrison's All Things Must Pass, including "My Sweet Lord" and "What Is Life." McCartney had no official connection with Badfinger, as far as I know.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't add much on Badfinger.

They blended into post Beatles stuff for me as a kid. Think my mom had a 8track.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't add much on Badfinger.

They blended into post Beatles stuff for me as a kid. Think my mom had a 8track.
Well then sir, could I recommend that you......GTFO

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Revolver: 5/5 stars. Ranked 3rd on Rolling Stones Top 500 Albums list.

220px-Revolver.jpg

I've never done LSD due to its lack of availability in my area, but if/when I do ever do it, this will be the first album I listen to. It's just perfect.
Well, I still haven't dropped acid, but I did ketamine for the first time last week, and true to my word, this was the first album I listened to while tripping. Truly a classic; my favorite album of all time.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Physical Graffiti: 3.5/5 stars. Rank on RS Top 500 Albums List: 73

Led_Zeppelin_-_Physical_Graffiti.jpg

My highest-reviewed LZ album thus far, though I think that if I listened to Untitled (3/5 stars), otherwise known as LZ IV again, I would have it higher than Graffiti. Suffice to say, I've gotten into Zeppelin.

I've listened to this album in its entirety 8 or 9 times, most recently on Wednesday while I was blasted at a ketamine infusion center. It's a good album to listen to either sober or high, with the only problem being that Side 4 REALLY falls off ("Night Flight," "The Wanton Song," "Boogie with Stu," "Black Country Woman," and "Sick Again"). Up until that point, the album is a borderline classic, but the inclusion of Side 4 and the decision to make it a double album has to be taken into account. It's kind of the like The Beatles (4/5 stars) also known as The White Album in that respect: keep it a single album, and it's a borderline masterpiece.

But Sides 1-3 (the first 10 songs) are fucking incredible. While I don't consider any of the songs on the album masterpieces (top 250 songs of all time), "The Rover," "House of the Holy," and "Trampled Under Foot" are all very close. I also have come to enjoy "Kashmir." Of course, I knew the song before ever listening to Physical Graffiti (I knew it when I was 8 or so technically- it was Chase Utley's walk-up song every time he came to bat). I used to think it was a little over long, but I've come to be able to enjoy Page's guitar and Bonham's drum-playing in between the lyrics, which are good in their own right (I mean, imagine being high as shit off ketamine and hearing "I'm a traveler of both time and space").

Also, "Bron-Yr-Aur" may be my all-time favorite instrumental song. It's nice that LZ can rock it with the best of any group, and then produce a song as sweet and subtle as "Bron-Yr-Aur" or "Going To California" or "Stairway To Heaven," (as overplayed as it is- it is still a fucking masterpiece).

Like I said, I'm officially in on Led Zeppelin. Robert Plant may be the best rock singer/vocalist of all time. For me, he is what makes the band so special. But that's probably because I just can't appreciate Bonham's drumming, or Page's guitar work, or even Jones' bass and keyboard work at the moment. I really like Led Zeppelin, but I believe that in due time I will come to like them even more when I realize the importance of the other three members' work. Led Zeppelin is awesome.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Wall: 4.5/5 stars. Rank on RS Top 500 Albums List: 87

268x0w.jpg

I have heard this album so many times (probably 15-20 times) in its entirety, but felt unable to review it for some reason. I listened to it yesterday at the ketamine infusion place, and decided it's time that I reviewed it and called it what it is: a masterpiece.

One of the best-selling albums of all time, and one of the most beloved concept albums, this album works in every way. ~Every song on its own is awesome, and every song in the context of the story is awesome. I have two songs that I consider masterpieces on it, "Another Brick in the Wall, Pt. 2" and "Hey You," but so many others are unbelievably amazing as well: "Mother," "Vera," "One of My Turns," "Comfortably Numb," "Young Lust," "Goodbye Cruel World," "Nobody Home," and "Goodbye Blue Sky" are all beautiful.

I consider this album psychedelic, because it does transport you to another world, but I was surprised when I looked it up that it's not really considered a psychedelic album. On Wikipedia, for example, its genres are "Art rock," "Progressive rock," and "Progressive pop." I can see the last two labels, though I think the term "progressive" is a little pretentious and kind of undercuts the beauty of the album, but that's just my own opinion of the term in its common usage, not necessarily the genre. But the first genre, "Art rock" interested me. Obviously, the term refers to a genre, but just taking the term at face value, I don't think you could better describe this album. It's art in the form of rock music. Of course, all music is art in some form, but this album is the closest rock music has ever gotten to being truly beautiful and important art. I mean, I'm not into paintings, but this album is on the same level as the Mona Lisa. And I don't mean that pretentiously. If you've listened to this album, you already know that though.

One of the best albums of all time.

"I've got nicotine stains on my fingers
I've got a silver spoon on a chain
Got a grand piano to prop up my mortal remains
I've got wild staring eyes
And I've got a strong urge to fly
But I got nowhere to fly to (fly to, fly to, fly to, fly to, fly to, fly to)

Ooh, babe when I pick up the phone
There's still nobody home"