• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Omar's Album Reviews of The Rolling Stones' Top 500 Albums (and some other albums too)

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get why you're saying that, but I like "Yellow Submarine." It fits in with the psychedelic theme while adding a nautical element. It's a children song, so I understand it's not necessarily "A Day in the Life," but I enjoyed it.

My favorite Beatles song is a Ringo-led song, "With A Little Help From My Friends." "A Day in The Life" would be 2, "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is 3, "In My Life" is 4, and "And Your Bird Can Sing" would round out my top 5 I think.

Acoustic version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really believe in ranking music......

The Rolling Stone magazine, once did a top all time 100 album list......
The Moody Blues To Our Children's Children's Children album was ranked 20th

and now it doesn't even make the list of 500

Ranking art is kinda silly.......and I am a Beatle's fan.

Sgt. Pepper was a game changing album....It was totally different, from any other music and album,at the time.
And a lot of artists, who made the 500 list, talk about that album, like it is and was the bible.

I always thought, Revolver and Rubber Soul should have been a 2 set double album.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it, The Beatles are considered the greatest band of all time, and Sgt. Pepper is considered the greatest album of all time. I happen not to like it. I already qualified my opinion with saying that I know hardly anything about music (i.e., how to play instruments, any voice ranges, etc.). I just know whether or not it is pleasurable to the ear for me. And Sgt. Pepper, by and large, is not.

Personally, I don't consider the Beatles to be the greatest band of all time, but they were very influential & original once they began to branch out from their roackabilly beginnings. I consider their best work to be Abbey Road.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I don't consider the Beatles to be the greatest band of all time, but they were very influential & original once they began to branch out from their roackabilly beginnings. I consider their best work to be Abbey Road.

I do too... with the combo platter of "Revolver" and "Rubber Soul" right behind it.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty. Odd.[:] 4.5/5 stars. Rank on the RS Top 500: N/A.

220px-PatD_-_Pretty._Odd..jpg

A little background on this album, since I doubt any of you know it: Pretty. Odd. is Panic at the Disco's sophomore album, released in 2008. Their first album, A Fever You Can't Sweat Out, was released in 2005 and was a punk, at times emo, record. The album sold over 2 million copies in the United States alone, and Panic! at the Disco (as their name was styled at the time) were seen as the up-and-coming punk band.

The band then took about a year and a half off before beginning production in 2007 for Pretty. Odd. in a cabin in the rural mountains of Mount Charleston, Nevada (the group is from Las Vegas). The band eventually went to Los Angeles, and had nearly a whole album complete, but decided to scrap the whole project and starting fresh on a new album. They ended up going to Abbey Road Studios to record the strings and horns sections of this album.

When finally released in March 2008, this album confused a lot of people. In place of the techno punk sound that the group had on their first album, this album was full of psychedelic, baroque pop songs. Many criticized the album because (in my opinion) it wasn't the album they were expecting.

Now that the background has been given, let me give you my opinion on the actual album: it's fucking awesome. One of the best albums released in the last decade. The band said that they were influenced by The Beatles, The Beach Boys, and The Zombies; whose albums they listened to continuously while recording. Of the three groups, I hear The Beach Boys the most in this record. Many of the songs have a nautical, "man at sea" theme to them. Of course, the horns and strings sound like they came right off of Pet Sounds (4.5/5 stars). I don't hear The Beatles as much, personally, except for maybe the psychedelic sound to many of the songs.

The best songs off this album are the Friedrich Nietzsche-inspired "Behind The Sea," "Northern Downpour," "Do You Know What I'm Seeing," "Pas De Cheval," "Nine In The Afternoon," and "Mad As Rabbits." I know that that's a lot of songs (there's only 15 songs on the entire album), but that's how good the album is. The definitive masterpieces would be "Behind The Sea" and "Northern Downpour."

It's not my favorite song off the album, but "When The Day Met The Night" could have been released in 1967 instead of "Good Vibrations," and you wouldn't know the difference- that's how much it sounds like The Beach Boys (in a good way).

It's a damn shame that people don't know about this album because of when it was released. If it was released in 1965-1970, it would be in the top 50 of RS' list. I encourage all of you, even if it's just this one song, to take a listen, and tell me this song isn't great.

Just like the sadness that comes from knowing that this album didn't get its due from either current music fans or old heads, it's also sad that Panic at the Disco broke up after this album. The only surviving member of this album's 4-man lineup is the lead vocalist, Brendon Urie, who still performs under the name (now changed back to) Panic! at the Disco. Two of the members wanted to keep the same psychedelic, baroque-pop sound of this album, but Brendon insisted that they needed to change again. He has changed his genre in each of the three albums he's released since Pretty. Odd. He has a new album set to be released this June, titled Pray for the Wicked. I'll give it a listen, because based off Pretty. Odd., the man; and the other three members of Panic at the Disco who made this album for that matter, are music geniuses.

Purchased it on iTunes... listened to it while beating about town as I do all my music... via my iPhone connected to my truck stereo. Definitely dug it. As you said - elements of The Beach Boys... The Beatles... and I also detected elements of ELO in there as well (no surprise as they were hugely influenced by the Beatles). I added it to my playlist where it will randomly appear and I'm sure I'll give it another shot on its own.

Thanks for the recommendation Omar.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purchased it on iTunes... listened to it while beating about town as I do all my music... via my iPhone connected to my truck stereo. Definitely dug it. As you said - elements of The Beach Boys... The Beatles... and I also detected elements of ELO in there as well (no surprise as they were hugely influenced by the Beatles). I added it to my playlist where it will randomly appear and I'm sure I'll give it another shot on its own.

Thanks for the recommendation Omar.
Glad you enjoyed it on first listen. Hey, after all the dope music you've introduced me too, it's the least I can do to try to return the favor once or twice:yo:

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Transformer: 3/5 stars. Rank on RS Top 500 Album List: 194

Loureedtransformer.jpeg

I like this album, as I've listened to it numerous times over the past three weeks, but it has two main problems: the album deteriorates rapidly towards the end, and it doesn't have a definitive masterpiece in my mind.

I'll start with the stuff I did like though. My favorite song off this album is "Satellite of Love," though I also really enjoyed "Perfect Day," "Vicious," and "Andy's Chest." I also like "Walk on the Wild Side" (which I've known for 8 months or so), but I do think it's a little overrated. By that I mean that many people consider it a classic or a "masterpiece," as I talk about so much, but I definitely don't (I don't even consider it the best song on the album).

The thing I like best about this album overall is Lou Reed's smooth voice and Bowie's production. I'm pretty sure Bowie has backing vocals on "New York Telephone Conversation," but I haven't confirmed that. Regardless, the instrumentation on this album is very good, particularly the trumpets on "Make Up" and (my favorite part of the album) Mick Ronson's string arrangements on "Perfect Day." Fucking perfect, and definitely influenced by Pet Sounds. (As a side note, the more albums I listen to, the more influence I see that that album has).

These lyrics on "Perfect Day" haunt me.

Just a perfect day
You made me forget myself
I thought I was
Someone else, someone good

Fucking heartbreaking.

As for the shit I didn't like, like I said, no masterpieces, and after "Satellite of Love" the album really dips in quality. Three of the last four songs on the album ("Wagon Wheel," "I'm So Free," and "Goodnight Ladies") are complete filler, especially "Goodnight Ladies" which is hard to get through. The fourth song is the aforementioned "New York Telephone Conversation" which is pretty mediocre, but at least is only 1:34 long.

All in all, a pretty damn good album, but I think Rolling Stones has it ranked a bit high at 194.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Transformer: 3/5 stars. Rank on RS Top 500 Album List: 194

Loureedtransformer.jpeg

I like this album, as I've listened to it numerous times over the past three weeks, but it has two main problems: the album deteriorates rapidly towards the end, and it doesn't have a definitive masterpiece in my mind.

I'll start with the stuff I did like though. My favorite song off this album is "Satellite of Love," though I also really enjoyed "Perfect Day," "Vicious," and "Andy's Chest." I also like "Walk on the Wild Side" (which I've known for 8 months or so), but I do think it's a little overrated. By that I mean that many people consider it a classic or a "masterpiece," as I talk about so much, but I definitely don't (I don't even consider it the best song on the album).

The thing I like best about this album overall is Lou Reed's smooth voice and Bowie's production. I'm pretty sure Bowie has backing vocals on "New York Telephone Conversation," but I haven't confirmed that. Regardless, the instrumentation on this album is very good, particularly the trumpets on "Make Up" and (my favorite part of the album) Mick Ronson's string arrangements on "Perfect Day." Fucking perfect, and definitely influenced by Pet Sounds. (As a side note, the more albums I listen to, the more influence I see that that album has).

These lyrics on "Perfect Day" haunt me.

Just a perfect day
You made me forget myself
I thought I was
Someone else, someone good

Fucking heartbreaking.

As for the shit I didn't like, like I said, no masterpieces, and after "Satellite of Love" the album really dips in quality. Three of the last four songs on the album ("Wagon Wheel," "I'm So Free," and "Goodnight Ladies") are complete filler, especially "Goodnight Ladies" which is hard to get through. The fourth song is the aforementioned "New York Telephone Conversation" which is pretty mediocre, but at least is only 1:34 long.

All in all, a pretty damn good album, but I think Rolling Stones has it ranked a bit high at 194.

I'm a big fan and I agree with pretty much all of this. Transformer was a mixed bag, though it sold well primarily due to Walk On The Wild Side.. and how did you manage to avoid hearing that until 8 months ago ?

I don't know that I'd put it on that RS list at all tbh. I think Perfect Day is a the best song on the album and agree with your other opinions.. except that I do like Walk On The Wild Side, though it gets played to death. Idk if it's a masterpiece but it's a classic that will be played on various media long after I'm gone.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a big fan and I agree with pretty much all of this. Transformer was a mixed bag, though it sold well primarily due to Walk On The Wild Side.. and how did you manage to avoid hearing that until 8 months ago ?

I don't know that I'd put it on that RS list at all tbh. I think Perfect Day is a the best song on the album and agree with your other opinions.. except that I do like Walk On The Wild Side, though it gets played to death.
What is your favorite Lou Reed/Velvet Underground album? I went back and listened to VU and Nico, which I previously gave 2.5/5 stars about two months ago, and I still can't get into it. At least outside of the 4 songs I mentioned previously. Weird.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I am only 20 years old.

That's true. I was listening to some talk show about music this morning and they were talking about the Billboard awards. I kept thinking "who are these people they're talking about". So I'm the same way about newer stuff.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that I have Spotify Premium, I can listen to whole albums at a time. With that said, I will now try to listen to every album on the Top 500, and rate and review it. Here's the list.

500 Greatest Albums of All Time

I will also comment that I do not know a whole ton about music, and what makes it good. Music is largely subjective, and I'm just giving my opinion.

And thus, it begins.

1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Clubs Band: 2/5 stars
Artist: The Beatles
Metacritic score: 100
Listened continuously?: Yes

Comments:
I am admittedly not a huge fan of The Beatles at all. This album was no exception. I'm not knocking those who love the band, but I think it spoke to an entire generation that I was not a part of. I did really enjoy "A Day in the Life" and "With a Little Help From my Friends." They were songs I'd go back to and listen to on their own. I even somewhat enjoyed "She's Leaving Home," though not as much as the other two.

Songs I didn't enjoy include "Getting Better," "Fixing a Hole," "Good Morning, Good Morning," and especially "Within You Without You."

I don't know that you would really count the album as psychedelic rock, but if you would, it sucked. Again, not knocking Beatles fan. I'm just not a fan of them or this album.

Next up? "Pet Sounds" by The Beach Boys
No one has done more for popular music or was a greater influence on their culture and times than the Beatles. The greatest Rock and Roll Band of all time but SGT Pepper's is way over-rated. It has one of the great songs of all time in "A Day In The Life" but the other songs are just average. The fact that it is looke dupon the way it is still today tells you what a cultural phenomenon the Beatles were.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is your favorite Lou Reed/Velvet Underground album? I went back and listened to VU and Nico, which I previously gave 2.5/5 stars about two months ago, and I still can't get into it. At least outside of the 4 songs I mentioned previously. Weird.
I like "Rock and Roll Animal" but not sure if Reed did that with the VU

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Acoustic version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps

There are so many but Norwegian Wood, A Day In The Life, Hey Jude, Let It Be, Taxman and Tomorrow Never Knows come to mind.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That one and 1969 Live are my favorites. Loaded is also good and it's a bit more accessible than their 1st with Nico. They're definitely not for everyone, but they're one of my all time favorite groups. 1969 Live is a 2-disk live set from a couple nights in Texas (in 1969, of course). I wore my first copy out.

118350122.jpg

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too much junk on the White Album. Should have been a single album. Still, it did produce some classics like Back In The USSR.