• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Older is Better for NFL QBs

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I have been saying for years. To all the people that wanted to start over with a new Quarterback, you are fools and would have just set us back another 5 years.

From The Mag: Older is better for NFL QBs, the numbers show

The suggestion of this article is that quarterbacks peak at year 12...... That strikes me as crazy. Only a few quarterbacks in any given era will ever see 12 starting seasons at the position - And these guys are all superstars (or at least very good). The data end up being skewed by these special cases.

I won't argue that the latest trend is that young quarterbacks (on average) are struggling. I think this has more to do with the way that we are scouting and developing these guys in college.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The suggestion of this article is that quarterbacks peak at year 12...... That strikes me as crazy. Only a few quarterbacks in any given era will ever see 12 starting seasons at the position.

Yeah, this. Palmer's a true statistical anomaly as he's hit a career peak as a 35 year old veteran. He's been playing at a borderline elite level since mid 2013 so I wouldn't say it came out of nowhere like the article suggests. He's had a strange career. The other veteran QBs playing well like Rivers, Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger (when healthy), Eli are either surefire HOFers or will at least get strong consideration. It's more a continuation of a great career than peak level play. With Fitzpatrick and the stopgap QBs around the leauge the sample size is too small to see a trend. Fitz looks like he came back to earth last night. I will say with the change in rules to protect pocket QBs and the general advancements in sports science it does look like more and more QBs will be playing into their late 30s and possibly even early 40s. If you get a franchise pocket QB they can play longer than before

I wasn't in favor of getting rid of Dalton, but he was at a crossroads year. He's playing outstanding and is obviously the franchise guy now. Kaepernick is the other side of that type of season

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Palmer was arguably one of few best in the league (top 5 maybe) until the Kimo incident.

he made so many come from behind comebacks one season that we took it for granted, and when we switched to Ryan Fitzpatrick due to injury (who seems to have reasonable performance everywhere else) the team fell apart.

Everyone's happy that Dalton is finally improving (so it appears). just be happy about that. Eventually all the good teams star fades and the 2nd tier rises to the top, kind of like a carousel of parity, we just seemed to miss that carousel more times than any other NFL team.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what befuddles me is how in the hell is Cam Newton undefeated. maybe he really is superman?

BurrowDeep2Chase

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think about the late 90s early 00s. Same held true. Except there were major studs that didn't show up until they were in their 30s. Who were the top QBs back then?

Kurt Warner came out of nowhere, he wasn't elite his whole career. He geared up at the age of 29-30. Didn't even start a game until he was 28.

Rich Gannon, who remembers him before he was with Oakland? I only remember him from Minnesota because he was their starting QB in Tecmo Super Bowl. But he was nothing until his 30s.
Rich Gannon NFL Football Statistics | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Jeff Garcia NFL Football Statistics | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Steve Beuerlein started having some big years for Caroline at the age of 32.
Steve Beuerlein NFL Football Statistics | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Remember this guy?
Steve Young NFL Football Statistics | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that, in most cases, you see that it takes about 4-6 years before a QB can really get it. You will have some above that curve, and some below, but I think that's a fair average.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
of course, you know what this means.

The league gave up on Tebow too soon. they should have given him 4-6 years to improve.

OH YEA, I WENT THERE, NOW SUCK IT.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, on a more serious note.

The Seahawks "broke in" John Kitna, which to our benefit was able to come here and play some mediocre football that didn't suck as much as what we were used to. maybe the Seahawks were wrong to give up on Kitna? There's no way to know which QB is actually just going to put things together over a period of time.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The test for the longevity of Dalton will be, how well does he do when we have to let go of other players in order to pay him the money he's earning with all these wins? The old salary cap shuffle. There are some QBs that seem to survive it, and others that can't.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect Jay Cutler and Matthew Stafford could have better days ahead for them. if only their teams could put the pieces together as well as the Bengals have for 2015. I'm sure other QBs would fit that description as well.

The argument could also be made that people were wrong to desire to give up on Marvin Lewis. But his awkward clock management at times is still pretty darned annoying.

JBUCK66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't care who your QB is, you had better have 4 or 5 weight challenged guys that can keep the opposing team's weight challenged guys off your guy's red-haired laden butt.

one of many of what I like to call 'factors'

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The OL deserves a medal, if they don't do their job everyone looks like $hi7

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always say you build a team from the lines back. The closer you play to the football, the more important you are.

Great offensive and defensive lines start a ripple effect through the rest of their side(s) of the ball.

BurrowDeep2Chase

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, on a more serious note.

The Seahawks "broke in" John Kitna, which to our benefit was able to come here and play some mediocre football that didn't suck as much as what we were used to. maybe the Seahawks were wrong to give up on Kitna? There's no way to know which QB is actually just going to put things together over a period of time.

I would say if your guy was an average Quarterback his first 4 years, you have a pretty good chance of him developing into at least an above average quarterback in years 5-10. Finding quarterbacks to just be average in this league their first 4 years is pretty difficult in its own.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say if your guy was an average Quarterback his first 4 years, you have a pretty good chance of him developing into at least an above average quarterback in years 5-10. Finding quarterbacks to just be average in this league their first 4 years is pretty difficult in its own.

Kitna wasn't a total disappointment, but when we got Carson Palmer to finally play the difference was drastically noticeable. talent matters.

BurrowDeep2Chase

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kitna wasn't a total disappointment, but when we got Carson Palmer to finally play the difference was drastically noticeable. talent matters.
Kitna was an over achiever. The guy was not drafted and played till he was 40. He really never had the potential that a 1st-3rd round pick had. He was a great stop-gap for the Bengals while we searched for a franchise quarterback. Fitzpatrick reminds me of him.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB is the one position where you can be a 5th round talent and get drafted in the 2nd round due to what the NFL needs that year and what's available.

As for Andy Dalton, Basically, you can't do much better at this point, it was probably naive to expect playoff wins this early, and it looks like he should finally be turning the corner on that curse.

BurrowDeep2Chase

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Ben and the Steelers have no playoff wins since Dalton was drafted.