• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Oily sharks series ghost board thread

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'll take touchdown and not hearing Kassians name tonight lol

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just got home... the big boys just got the memo that it's playoff time. Few key observations:

1. The first big move was befor ethe puck even dropped when deboer elected to start pavs-jumbo-patty with burns. He sent a message to the big vets that this is their team, that they are the leaders, and that they need to set the tone off the drop of the puck. nothing short of brilliant coaching tonight by deboer.

2. Pavs is the captain. I had just written that this was the worst Ive seen him ever play in the PO's. He responds, what, 15 seconds in with a beautiful tip to set that tone? The cpatian showed up, 3 points, the GWG, and just hounding it.

2. The big boys as a whole nothing short of dominated for the entire game (or at least the 1st 2 periods, which was the whole game). Jumbo-patty-pavs-cooch-burns had a total of ONE assist in the first 3 games. Tonight: 5G, 6A. They increased their point total 11x. The PP was 0 for 11 with two SHG again in the last two games. the big dogs were on for most of that. Tonight 4 for 8 include 2 for 3 when it mattered. Cooch, pavs, and patty each had a PPG. This was the sharks vets putting taking the team on their shoulders.

3. Jones was stellar in the first and I still have no clue how Nugent-hopkins didnt score in the gaping cage. How the fuck does jones stop that???

4. ME vlasic has been the best sharks this series (jones 2nd). Mcdavid who? two scoreless games, and just 1G 1A in the series. Pickles has as many points as mcdavid this series thus far. He is such a stud....

5. It's one game. That's all. nice to get the confidence going, but it's a 3 game series and they have home field. The sharks can enjoy this for a day, but then it's back to work. Hopfully the big 5 take this game as a confidence boost and carry it forward. It will make edmonton think twice about their march to the box and hopefully get the hard work done by meier, hertl, wardo and the like the translate into tired oilers who cant hang with the big dogs.

Man, this is a good series thus far...

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
McDavid was sure throwin them head elbows & head checks tonight... Keep it up, I love watching a rattled team get cheap...

madcap9999

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just got back.. what a turnaround!! Yeah it was a wake-up call for the big boys and they delivered big time. The series just pivoted significantly in SJ's favor as well. Sharkies finally figured out they need to ALWAYS go high (past the ear) on the goalie and stay away from any low shots which are just a waste.

Also, that's 4 games now and Edm just has one 5-on-5 goal on our D. Just great defense despite that one mistake in Game 3. Yeah SJ offense sucked for games 2 and 3 but Edm hasn't exactly lit it up either, in Games 1, 2, 3 or 4. Continued stellar defense will pull SJ thru and the better goal production will continue.

They really should be up 3-1 had it not been for the ineptitude of SJ in Game 3 to score. But they still have time. I predict another win in Game 5 then an OT win in Game 6 at home to close it out. The Oil lost a lot of confidence during this game - you could see it in that spearing penalty and several other cheap shots in the 2nd. Advantage SJ, and yes this is turning into a great series.

Oh, and McDavid is quickly learning that postseason play > regular season stats. Welcome to the big boys' time to play, son.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just got home... the big boys just got the memo that it's playoff time. Few key observations:

1. The first big move was befor ethe puck even dropped when deboer elected to start pavs-jumbo-patty with burns. He sent a message to the big vets that this is their team, that they are the leaders, and that they need to set the tone off the drop of the puck. nothing short of brilliant coaching tonight by deboer.

2. Pavs is the captain. I had just written that this was the worst Ive seen him ever play in the PO's. He responds, what, 15 seconds in with a beautiful tip to set that tone? The cpatian showed up, 3 points, the GWG, and just hounding it.

2. The big boys as a whole nothing short of dominated for the entire game (or at least the 1st 2 periods, which was the whole game). Jumbo-patty-pavs-cooch-burns had a total of ONE assist in the first 3 games. Tonight: 5G, 6A. They increased their point total 11x. The PP was 0 for 11 with two SHG again in the last two games. the big dogs were on for most of that. Tonight 4 for 8 include 2 for 3 when it mattered. Cooch, pavs, and patty each had a PPG. This was the sharks vets putting taking the team on their shoulders.

3. Jones was stellar in the first and I still have no clue how Nugent-hopkins didnt score in the gaping cage. How the fuck does jones stop that???

4. ME vlasic has been the best sharks this series (jones 2nd). Mcdavid who? two scoreless games, and just 1G 1A in the series. Pickles has as many points as mcdavid this series thus far. He is such a stud....

5. It's one game. That's all. nice to get the confidence going, but it's a 3 game series and they have home field. The sharks can enjoy this for a day, but then it's back to work. Hopfully the big 5 take this game as a confidence boost and carry it forward. It will make edmonton think twice about their march to the box and hopefully get the hard work done by meier, hertl, wardo and the like the translate into tired oilers who cant hang with the big dogs.

Man, this is a good series thus far...
Watching Hertl, there's no one on Edmonton that can handle that guy same as Timo! They get the puck and they are both so big and strong the oilers d just gets over powered and have to take holding penalties. That line gets going which it looks like it is going to break through this series is going to get a whole lot tougher for the oilers.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Also hopefully they don't let this go to their heads, looks like pride kicked on

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just got back.. what a turnaround!! Yeah it was a wake-up call for the big boys and they delivered big time. The series just pivoted significantly in SJ's favor as well. Sharkies finally figured out they need to ALWAYS go high (past the ear) on the goalie and stay away from any low shots which are just a waste.

Also, that's 4 games now and Edm just has one 5-on-5 goal on our D. Just great defense despite that one mistake in Game 3. Yeah SJ offense sucked for games 2 and 3 but Edm hasn't exactly lit it up either, in Games 1, 2, 3 or 4. Continued stellar defense will pull SJ thru and the better goal production will continue.

They really should be up 3-1 had it not been for the ineptitude of SJ in Game 3 to score. But they still have time. I predict another win in Game 5 then an OT win in Game 6 at home to close it out. The Oil lost a lot of confidence during this game - you could see it in that spearing penalty and several other cheap shots in the 2nd. Advantage SJ, and yes this is turning into a great series.

Oh, and McDavid is quickly learning that postseason play > regular season stats. Welcome to the big boys' time to play, son.
Honestly just going to the net, Talbots's rebound control is horrendous and he's fighting glove side really bad too. Sharks need to collect the garbage and put it in the net

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Drisatiol situation is going to be interesting, he should get a game but you know the league has a hard on for Mcdavid so it'll be interesting

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Watching Hertl, there's no one on Edmonton that can handle that guy same as Timo! They get the puck and they are both so big and strong the oilers d just gets over powered and have to take holding penalties. That line gets going which it looks like it is going to break through this series is going to get a whole lot tougher for the oilers.

Yeah, the two of 'em are possession beasts. and like 3 or 4 times, I saw meier win a board battle and just watch the seas part and he waltzes to the net for a good chance. Hasnt buried any of 'em yet, but his getting there...

I actually think they could use a scoring winger to complete the line as karlsson isnt a great compliment to them. Not sure who, but it would be great to find a third who can do what they are doing. Maybe wardo? (though he was great with cooch).

I dont expect this win will go to their heads. They know it doesnt carry game to game. That said, it might hurt the oilers confidence and it might make them worry about taking liberties after the sharks buried 4 PP goals. if the oilers are less physical, it might open more space for the skilled guys to maneuver.

The other factor is the mcdavid effect. If pickles and braun keep him out of the series, it's gunna be tough for edmonton to win two more. He is the heart and soul of that team, and the job pickles is doing on him is unbelievably underrated. No way the oilers can score enough to beat SJ without him as the sharks depth is better than edmontons. Eberle, Ryan NH, lucic, maroon and co are good, but they cant match the sharks 4 line attack if mcdavid is quiet. I mean, edmonton has scored 5 goals total in 4 games. if the sharks play thier game and stay solid defensively, it's gunna be tough for the oilers.

I think jumbo's return is reallllly big (coupled with cooch's health). it revolutionizes the PP, and give the sharks much more depth up front. Without those two, the sharks lack the punch and matchups are possible to shut down pavs and patty. now, with hertl and meier playing hard, the sharks have pretty all 12 guys who can score on you any shift.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, the two of 'em are possession beasts. and like 3 or 4 times, I saw meier win a board battle and just watch the seas part and he waltzes to the net for a good chance. Hasnt buried any of 'em yet, but his getting there...

I actually think they could use a scoring winger to complete the line as karlsson isnt a great compliment to them. Not sure who, but it would be great to find a third who can do what they are doing. Maybe wardo? (though he was great with cooch).

I dont expect this win will go to their heads. They know it doesnt carry game to game. That said, it might hurt the oilers confidence and it might make them worry about taking liberties after the sharks buried 4 PP goals. if the oilers are less physical, it might open more space for the skilled guys to maneuver.

The other factor is the mcdavid effect. If pickles and braun keep him out of the series, it's gunna be tough for edmonton to win two more. He is the heart and soul of that team, and the job pickles is doing on him is unbelievably underrated. No way the oilers can score enough to beat SJ without him as the sharks depth is better than edmontons. Eberle, Ryan NH, lucic, maroon and co are good, but they cant match the sharks 4 line attack if mcdavid is quiet. I mean, edmonton has scored 5 goals total in 4 games. if the sharks play thier game and stay solid defensively, it's gunna be tough for the oilers.

I think jumbo's return is reallllly big (coupled with cooch's health). it revolutionizes the PP, and give the sharks much more depth up front. Without those two, the sharks lack the punch and matchups are possible to shut down pavs and patty. now, with hertl and meier playing hard, the sharks have pretty all 12 guys who can score on you any shift.
Not letting Kassian run around like a rabid monkey is huge too, but yeah their offense runs through Mcdavid take him away and they are hurting, lack of a real blue line threat is helpful too

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with all of this. It's just funny though how you never know what Sharks team is going to show up. But one thing is for certain, the mentality of actually shooting the puck and creating 2nd, 3rd chances is what opens it all up for them. Games 2, 3 they kept overthinking everything and trying to be too fancy focusing on passing. When they just DO IT instead of think it, they get shit done. If they continue to be physical and not fall into their bad habits they'll win this series and it will be in 6 games.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Surprised but not surprised by the lack of suspension for Leon. However wow preds sweeping the Hawks

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ummm why the fark would Coach D change the lineup after winning 7-0.... Boedker in, Donkey scratched??? Thats pretty stupid IMO

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I really like the 3rd and 4th line advantage the sharks have

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
this 3rd period is TMac style prevent Defense. I get you wanna protect the lead, but you gotta keep playing. Can't do a 20 minute PK.

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Prevent D bullshit --- I thought they were dont with that shit when they fired Todd.... A whole period sitting on your ass and then they wonder why its tied now.... smdh.... mfers never learn

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
wow, terrible OT. This game shoulda ended 5 times already.