• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ohtani Hurt?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, just came to post this.

First Roy Moore loses, then this?

How many Hanukkah gifts do we get again?!

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shohei Ohtani has a first-degree sprain of the ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow, according to a physical obtained by Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports.

A first-degree sprain is the least severe and this physical was distributed to MLB teams as soon as Ohtani entered the posting system, so there's no real reason for immediate panic. But further damage to the UCL could of course eventually lead to Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery. Ohtani underwent platelet-rich plasma treatment in October to address the discomfort that his damaged UCL was causing. He also has a "small free body" in the elbow, according to the report from Yahoo Sports. But the 23-year-old two-way Japanese star should be a full participant at the outset of Angels camp next spring.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds relatively minor. If he happened to miss a year still totally worth it given the lack of price for the potential talent.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds relatively minor. If he happened to miss a year still totally worth it given the lack of price for the potential talent.

Minor now (probably what Smyly had before WBC) but could become major with one wrong movement. Still cheap so risk is low, but interesting to watch.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not wishing anyone injury but have heard UCL is like a rubber band... it continues to stretch and never tightens then eventually snap. TJ is in the future. M's may have dodged a bullet.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not wishing anyone injury but have heard UCL is like a rubber band... it continues to stretch and never tightens then eventually snap. TJ is in the future. M's may have dodged a bullet.

That's what I've always heard with that injury. Doctors prefer to perform TJ than risk the eventual snap of the UCL.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I've always heard with that injury. Doctors prefer to perform TJ than risk the eventual snap of the UCL.
Seems like very Asian pitcher, other than Hideo Nomo, has needed it at some point their career.
I agree that we dodged a bullet, mainly because I think that ultimately, he will not be a league average hitter against MLB pitching. He isn't going to be an Ichiro or a Matsui. Maybe more like Nori Aoki. When you add a TJ to the pitching elbow on top of that....

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t feel we dodged a bullet unless we can get back the prospects we gave up for international slot money. Once we opted to give up what we did to get Ohtani we were looking down the barrel with only one scenario possible. He wasn’t going to cost us anything in payroll so it isn’t like we couldn’t have made alternate plans at this stage in the game with his injury. What gets me is that they say the clubs were aware of this injury which makes JeDi’s intentions even more questionable. How can you justify trading some of your best prospects for the possibility of signing an injured pitcher? That’s insane to me.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t feel we dodged a bullet unless we can get back the prospects we gave up for international slot money. Once we opted to give up what we did to get Ohtani we were looking down the barrel with only one scenario possible. He wasn’t going to cost us anything in payroll so it isn’t like we couldn’t have made alternate plans at this stage in the game with his injury. What gets me is that they say the clubs were aware of this injury which makes JeDi’s intentions even more questionable. How can you justify trading some of your best prospects for the possibility of signing an injured pitcher? That’s insane to me.
Agree!!! Dipotos approach to the Ohtani situation was a nightmare. He really didn't do the smart thing and now he is missing on some of the teams biggest needs. If Dip would sign a legit starter I would have much more optimism for this team. It is so crazy to me he doesn't see the gaping hole in the rotation, for fucks sake the guy that made the most starts for the team last season was the #6 guy in the rotation going into ST. As it stands now Paxton and Felix are often injured and they will be replaced by a long list of AAAA pitchers or guys with huge question marks.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree!!! Dipotos approach to the Ohtani situation was a nightmare. He really didn't do the smart thing and now he is missing on some of the teams biggest needs. If Dip would sign a legit starter I would have much more optimism for this team. It is so crazy to me he doesn't see the gaping hole in the rotation, for fucks sake the guy that made the most starts for the team last season was the #6 guy in the rotation going into ST. As it stands now Paxton and Felix are often injured and they will be replaced by a long list of AAAA pitchers or guys with huge question marks.

If Ohtani would have cost us the chance to sign/trade for a legit starter then maybe just maybe we dodged a water gun stream, but until we actually sign a starter will I give any benefit to missing out on Ohtani. The biggest problem with the Ohtani situation is that every team interested had to have an amount of slot money to even play. So if you wanted the chance to get this kid you had to start making trades for money that if not used goes away. This makes every team that was willing to give up anything or anyone for slot money vulnerable to the level that makes even the Tyler O'Neil trade look better. Seriously, this was worse than the O'Neil trade to me because we got ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! I give credit to JeDi for having the interest in this kid because I can't say that the failed GM's that came before him cared enough about the team to go after Ohtani. That being said, if there was a way to cripple a farm system even more than the crippled farm system that it was it would be doing exactly what he did to obtain what ultimately became nothing. Give me three Marco Gonzalezes with the oft chance one of them becomes useful, but you give up top prospects for literally zero in return and your job should be on the line.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will never know but I am still curious as to what pitch Jerry gave Ohtani. I mean the Angels had an easy one that they fired him because he sucked for them but still I'd like to know.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Ohtani would have cost us the chance to sign/trade for a legit starter then maybe just maybe we dodged a water gun stream, but until we actually sign a starter will I give any benefit to missing out on Ohtani. The biggest problem with the Ohtani situation is that every team interested had to have an amount of slot money to even play. So if you wanted the chance to get this kid you had to start making trades for money that if not used goes away. This makes every team that was willing to give up anything or anyone for slot money vulnerable to the level that makes even the Tyler O'Neil trade look better. Seriously, this was worse than the O'Neil trade to me because we got ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! I give credit to JeDi for having the interest in this kid because I can't say that the failed GM's that came before him cared enough about the team to go after Ohtani. That being said, if there was a way to cripple a farm system even more than the crippled farm system that it was it would be doing exactly what he did to obtain what ultimately became nothing. Give me three Marco Gonzalezes with the oft chance one of them becomes useful, but you give up top prospects for literally zero in return and your job should be on the line.
In my opinion, what Dipoto did during the Ohtani debacle is some of dumbest shit ever by a Mariners GM. he clearly didn't have a handle on the situation. Even if the prospects he traded for the international money don't turn out to be anything at the major league level he could have flipped them for a starter or something of need at the deadline. At least the Gordon trade got a player that will contribute this season, silver linings... Problem is his contribution may be for nothing as this team may need to score 10 runs a game to keep up with the rest of the division.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will never know but I am still curious as to what pitch Jerry gave Ohtani. I mean the Angels had an easy one that they fired him because he sucked for them but still I'd like to know.

Well Ohtani did come out and said that he prefer to go quiet about it and keeping the whole thing private throughout the process. The M's pretty much salivate all over him and also through the media, so I'm confident that played a huge role in his decision despite the M's having the most international slot money to give him. The Angels came out of nowhere.

Overall, Jerry Dipoto is a fool, it was fun at first with all his trades. Now, somehow I just see him prancing around at the winter's meeting and other GM's are looking at him strangely and they're picking him apart. Truly a club that does no deserve any respect.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Ohtani did come out and said that he prefer to go quiet about it and keeping the whole thing private throughout the process. The M's pretty much salivate all over him and also through the media, so I'm confident that played a huge role in his decision despite the M's having the most international slot money to give him. The Angels came out of nowhere.

Overall, Jerry Dipoto is a fool, it was fun at first with all his trades. Now, somehow I just see him prancing around at the winter's meeting and other GM's are looking at him strangely and they're picking him apart. Truly a club that does no deserve any respect.

I'm sure Jerry came off desperate and all that as it appears. I'm just more wondering if he is a piss poor salesman. I mean, realistcally once the Yankees and Dodgers were out of it, Seattle should've been a slam dunk for him, given the huge Pacific Rim following, which leads to endorsements.

Maybe Ohtani just wanted to be treated like another guy instead of a savior but it's not like Jerry shouldn't have known this.