• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason news

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that. Giving up a pick wont bother me too much, especially a 3rd, but the pick and $$$$ for what looks like a short term rental bothers me. I don't need a crystal ball to see ET is closer to the end rather than the beginning.
I won't throw a fit if a deal is reached but I just don't see it as the best option.
This seems a classic case of one guy seeing the glass half full while the other see's it half empty.
I just wanna win and Earl gives us a better chance.

Opinions vary here and I'm good with that...:suds:

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This seems a classic case of one guy seeing the glass half full while the other see's it half empty.
I just wanna win and Earl gives us a better chance.

Opinions vary here and I'm good with that...:suds:
Yep, we all have opinions. I've been wrong before and will e wrong again.
In the end I'll trust Mcclay

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something like $24-25 million in dead money coming off the books next year. The money for a splash acquisition like Thomas III will be there, as well as to re-sign a guy like DLaw and Dak.

When you say that, do you mean now we can do it or next year?

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you say that, do you mean now we can do it or next year?

Haven't done the numbers myself, just going off Dallas Cowboys Salary Cap | Over the Cap . It seems the Cowboys can afford Earl Thomas and an extension this year.

In 2019 Dallas is projected to have somewhere around $50m in cap space, depending on how much the cap actually increases. Now let's say Dallas trades for and extends Earl Thomas this year (2018) for roughly $10m per season. Dallas will have approx. $40m left in 2019 off-season to re-sign Dlaw and D.Irving, as well as extend Dak. They can feasibly do all three of these things if they wish, but I suspect they will make a choice between Irving and DLaw. Dak's extension won't add a ton to the cap in 2019 because he will still be on his rookie contract 4th year base salary - Dallas is very well positioned to absorb Dak's ballooning base salary in 2020 when they will have somewhere north of $80m in cap space. Tough decisions to make in 2020 likely include Zeke, Byron Jones, La'el Collins, Jaylon Smith, Maliek Collins.

Dallas' cap position is nothing like it was in the past, the cap hell days are over - if anything this is the last year of it, and Dallas still has the flexibility to be able to pay a guy like Earl Thomas.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The money is where I am most worried about. I would like to sign some guys long term with what we have right now.
We could afford him this year and starting next year we should have money to spend. The cost (salary and draft picks both) is always the most important thing as every player has a max value and you don't go over that value no matter who it is in a cap World. For example, ET at $10M per year seems a great deal, ET at $12M seems fair, but ET at $16M and 30 YO would be a big mistake and especially when it also costs you a valuable pick. I think what he would add to our defense would be huge. I'm not giving up a 2nd round pick, but a 3rd and a fair contract I do without hesitation. Part of the deal is are we better off waiting for next year when he is a FA which is why I don't give up the 2nd? Also, are we better off with one of the other FA safeties and $4M per year and a draft pick than ET? It's a tough call, but how badly we need both a top end safety and a veteran presence makes me say it's worth it. All I know is I love Woods, but we don't know what he is yet and neither Heath nor Frazier has shown themself to be a good, starting quality NFL safety.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see ET as a weight around our necks in a few years.
Based on what? I'm thinking in 3 years he will still be a very good player (since he may be the best safety in the league right now) and I'm not expecting to offer him a contract that we can't get out shortly after that without a huge hit

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't done the numbers myself, just going off Dallas Cowboys Salary Cap | Over the Cap . It seems the Cowboys can afford Earl Thomas and an extension this year.

In 2019 Dallas is projected to have somewhere around $50m in cap space, depending on how much the cap actually increases. Now let's say Dallas trades for and extends Earl Thomas this year (2018) for roughly $10m per season. Dallas will have approx. $40m left in 2019 off-season to re-sign Dlaw and D.Irving, as well as extend Dak. They can feasibly do all three of these things if they wish, but I suspect they will make a choice between Irving and DLaw. Dak's extension won't add a ton to the cap in 2019 because he will still be on his rookie contract 4th year base salary - Dallas is very well positioned to absorb Dak's ballooning base salary in 2020 when they will have somewhere north of $80m in cap space. Tough decisions to make in 2020 likely include Zeke, Byron Jones, La'el Collins, Jaylon Smith, Maliek Collins.

Dallas' cap position is nothing like it was in the past, the cap hell days are over - if anything this is the last year of it, and Dallas still has the flexibility to be able to pay a guy like Earl Thomas.

Thanks.

Lets spend the shit out of JJ's money. Go get Earl

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on what? I'm thinking in 3 years he will still be a very good player (since he may be the best safety in the league right now) and I'm not expecting to offer him a contract that we can't get out shortly after that without a huge hit
Based on he's missed games the last two seasons after playing every game for years. At his age I'm afraid this trend will continue.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

IDK that you give Irving a contract offer. He is an idiot and no doubt will get suspended again. Given the small window I would trade a 2ND rounder and use the money saved by not signing irving to sign Earl Thomas. Thomas would transform the secondary to one of the best and it has been 23 years since we had an elite secondary.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK that you give Irving a contract offer. He is an idiot and no doubt will get suspended again. Given the small window I would trade a 2ND rounder and use the money saved by not signing irving to sign Earl Thomas. Thomas would transform the secondary to one of the best and it has been 23 years since we had an elite secondary.

If Irving proves himself this year, I see him as a candidate for maturing. Not sure I would go all in with lots of guaranteed money but a good base and some incentives. Predicated on him proving himself through out the year. He is a force. Paired with DLaw, who had some issues his own damn self puts pieces on the line that are hard for opposing OLines to deal with.

Now Randal Gregory is a different story.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Irving proves himself this year, I see him as a candidate for maturing. Not sure I would go all in with lots of guaranteed money but a good base and some incentives. Predicated on him proving himself through out the year. He is a force. Paired with DLaw, who had some issues his own damn self puts pieces on the line that are hard for opposing OLines to deal with.

Now Randal Gregory is a different story.
Here is my view on Irving. He's got a problem. It keeps coming up. It started well before he came to the Cowboys. But he can completely dominate an NFL game. Missing 4 weeks will hurt him, but if he continues to improve he may be even more dominant on the field than Lawrence. He has had many games where he played like Reggie White. He basically had a sack a game last year (and great penetration against the run) and many of those coming from the inside which is much harder to do. If he has double digit sacks in 14 games I suspect we absolutely look to sign him and most fans will be behind it. The team will of course use the fact that he missed games due to injury and suspension as a way to keep the cost down and refuse to give him what otherwise will be market value. Irving when on the field could be a $16M a year player and you may get him for $10M. I think he is one of the keys to our teams success this year. If he dominates and Collins gets healthy and plays like year 1 I think our DL will be very, very good.

Will he mature? I just don't know. If it really is just him and his kid now and he is really being a FT parent like he says I think he will. But that could be lip service too.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is my view on Irving. He's got a problem. It keeps coming up. It started well before he came to the Cowboys. But he can completely dominate an NFL game. Missing 4 weeks will hurt him, but if he continues to improve he may be even more dominant on the field than Lawrence. He has had many games where he played like Reggie White. He basically had a sack a game last year (and great penetration against the run) and many of those coming from the inside which is much harder to do. If he has double digit sacks in 14 games I suspect we absolutely look to sign him and most fans will be behind it. The team will of course use the fact that he missed games due to injury and suspension as a way to keep the cost down and refuse to give him what otherwise will be market value. Irving when on the field could be a $16M a year player and you may get him for $10M. I think he is one of the keys to our teams success this year. If he dominates and Collins gets healthy and plays like year 1 I think our DL will be very, very good.

Will he mature? I just don't know. If it really is just him and his kid now and he is really being a FT parent like he says I think he will. But that could be lip service too.

If the Boys put a good fence around him with a good mentor, he could turn it all around. But it is on him to do so.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If I were the Cowboys, I'd let Irving walk and probably pass on Earl Thomas, much as I love him. The team is drafting so well that they have a lot of players that will get more money, and they need to focus on guys coning into their primes, injury free, and no off field issues. Trading a second or third for Thomas at his age coming off an injury and then extending him doesn't fit with what they are doing. Irving isn't gonna change. As to Zeke, totally depends on off the field. If he stays straight, pay him, if not, move on

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were the Cowboys, I'd let Irving walk and probably pass on Earl Thomas, much as I love him. The team is drafting so well that they have a lot of players that will get more money, and they need to focus on guys coning into their primes, injury free, and no off field issues. Trading a second or third for Thomas at his age coming off an injury and then extending him doesn't fit with what they are doing. Irving isn't gonna change. As to Zeke, totally depends on off the field. If he stays straight, pay him, if not, move on
99% of the reason they haven't signed any big free agents since Carr is the lack of cap space, it wasn't by design. That has finally changed. This team with ET in 2016 was a legit SB contender.

That being said, I don't really have a problem passing on Earl or letting Irving walk if the team decides to do so and uses the money elsewhere. It's just not what I would do or what I think is the best for this team. On ET. Seattle probably gets a 3rd in 2020 if they let him walk next year so they probably don't trade him for a 3rd next year any way and I don't think the Cowboys give up a 2nd so it's not likely happening. I'd be happy bringing in any of the FA safeties if we got a fair price. Same goes for Hankins. On Irving. I think he goes nuts this year once he plays and makes it very hard to not pursue him.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish Irving could straighten out as obviously he is very disruptive on the field. I just look at the talent on defense and I see top 10 easy and it will be a better than last season. The offense will be decent and I see 10 to 11 wins

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
99% of the reason they haven't signed any big free agents since Carr is the lack of cap space, it wasn't by design. That has finally changed. This team with ET in 2016 was a legit SB contender.

That being said, I don't really have a problem passing on Earl or letting Irving walk if the team decides to do so and uses the money elsewhere. It's just not what I would do or what I think is the best for this team. On ET. Seattle probably gets a 3rd in 2020 if they let him walk next year so they probably don't trade him for a 3rd next year any way and I don't think the Cowboys give up a 2nd so it's not likely happening. I'd be happy bringing in any of the FA safeties if we got a fair price. Same goes for Hankins. On Irving. I think he goes nuts this year once he plays and makes it very hard to not pursue him.

Seattle may not trade ET3, but not for the reasoning you mentioned. An actual 3rd rounder in the upcoming 2019 draft is more valuable than a 3rd round comp pick in 2020. Not to mention ET3 is saying he will not play this season in Seattle without a new deal. So if Seattle plans to hold onto ET3 for a comp pick the Seahawks will have a headache on their hands in the interim. Makes no sense for Seattle, who is rebuilding, to hold him for a 2020 3rd round comp pick if a 2019 3rd is on offer.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle may not trade ET3, but not for the reasoning you mentioned. An actual 3rd rounder in the upcoming 2019 draft is more valuable than a 3rd round comp pick in 2020. Not to mention ET3 is saying he will not play this season in Seattle without a new deal. So if Seattle plans to hold onto ET3 for a comp pick the Seahawks will have a headache on their hands in the interim. Makes no sense for Seattle, who is rebuilding, to hold him for a 2020 3rd round comp pick if a 2019 3rd is on offer.
I don't think Seattle has given up on this year and It's not just a 2020 3rd versus a 2019 3rd, its a 2020 3rd plus a year of one of the best players in the game versus a 2019 3rd. He has to play this year or he doesn't become a FA next year. If I'm Seattle I would have traded him for the offered Dallas 3rd in 2018, but not sure about 2019. But, they turned it down and it is worth more than a 2019 3rd so not sure they'd go for the 2019 3rd. I think they hold out for a 2nd next year or wait until the trade deadline if they are out of it and then maybe accept less. Maybe a 3rd plus a 4th or 5th next year will get it done.:scratch:

But, I still wonder if we are better off with ET or let's say Vaccaro (I don't think Jerry will sign Reid), a 3rd (or better) in next years draft and a few million per year to use elsewhere. I do love that ET wants to play here badly and I think he is the best of the bunch by a lot, but there are other options. Or just wait until next year and sign him and keep the picks. A lot of options. The only option that worries me is playing Heath and/or Frazier for a full year and maybe more

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Seattle has given up on this year and It's not just a 2020 3rd versus a 2019 3rd, its a 2020 3rd plus a year of one of the best players in the game versus a 2019 3rd. He has to play this year or he doesn't become a FA next year. If I'm Seattle I would have traded him for the offered Dallas 3rd in 2018, but not sure about 2019. But, they turned it down and it is worth more than a 2019 3rd so not sure they'd go for the 2019 3rd. I think they hold out for a 2nd next year or wait until the trade deadline if they are out of it and then maybe accept less. Maybe a 3rd plus a 4th or 5th next year will get it done.:scratch:

But, I still wonder if we are better off with ET or let's say Vaccaro (I don't think Jerry will sign Reid), a 3rd (or better) in next years draft and a few million per year to use elsewhere. I do love that ET wants to play here badly and I think he is the best of the bunch by a lot, but there are other options. Or just wait until next year and sign him and keep the picks. A lot of options. The only option that worries me is playing Heath and/or Frazier for a full year and maybe more

How about a 3rd and Chaz Green?