• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason news

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So this isn't really deserving of it's own thread:

Brice Butler - WR - Cowboys
Impending free agent Brice Butler says he won't re-sign with the Cowboys unless he's promised a starting job.

"With Dallas, the situation has to be right for me to go back," Butler said on FOX Sports 1 Thursday. "I have to be a starter. If I'm not starting, I'm not going back." Pressed by Skip Bayless and Colin Cowherd on why he didn't play more in 2017, Butler was largely miffed, attributing it to Terrance Williams' new contract. That's as good of a guess as any. When he was on the field, the speed demon was productive, turning a measly 15 catches into 317 yards (21.1 YPC). He has six touchdowns on 31 catches over the past two seasons.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off Butler is an idiot if he thinks there are many teams out there where he would have a better chance to win a starting job than Dallas or if he thinks teams are going to guarantee him a starting spot. Second, he did end up our only receiver that was able to make big, down the field type plays. Lastly, I agree with him we did not play him enough and I wonder if the offense would have been better if we did.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off Butler is an idiot if he thinks there are many teams out there where he would have a better chance to win a starting job than Dallas or if he thinks teams are going to guarantee him a starting spot. Second, he did end up our only receiver that was able to make big, down the field type plays. Lastly, I agree with him we did not play him enough and I wonder if the offense would have been better if we did.
Doesnt he drop alot of passes also?? He is delusional.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am all for him getting a chance to win the starting job (I dont care for williams anyways)
but
No, you don't get to get the spot promised to you. You want to start go earn it, or move on & be a back up somewhere else.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Butler should have been inserted into the starting lineup midway through the season. The offense/passing game needed a spark and it seemed like he was able to provide one when he was on the field. Although that tailed off a little as the season progressed (could be partially attributed to Dak's struggles down the stretch).

Defenses shortened up the field against Dallas a lot this past year - no respect at all for the deep ball. I think more of Butler and less of Williams would have helped create a little more space underneath.

Have to wonder if there are other issues behind the scene. While he might not be the best blocker at WR, Butler seems to show up in limited action. Makes me scratch my head that he doesn't get more opportunities.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Butler should have been inserted into the starting lineup midway through the season. The offense/passing game needed a spark and it seemed like he was able to provide one when he was on the field. Although that tailed off a little as the season progressed (could be partially attributed to Dak's struggles down the stretch).

Defenses shortened up the field against Dallas a lot this past year - no respect at all for the deep ball. I think more of Butler and less of Williams would have helped create a little more space underneath.

Have to wonder if there are other issues behind the scene. While he might not be the best blocker at WR, Butler seems to show up in limited action. Makes me scratch my head that he doesn't get more opportunities.

My guess is who had the bigger paycheck is the issue. While operations under Jerry have changed for the better over the last few years, I don't think not letting paychecks determine who starts hasn't. For years in Dallas, you better be a "Splash" FA, a prize draft pick, or a Jerry Pick to crack the starting lineup.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he would take a reasonable number, I would guarantee him a CHANCE to start. He has earned that much IMO

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesnt he drop alot of passes also?? He is delusional.
Not that i recall, but he had so few opportunities that perhaps the drops just don't stand out in my memory.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am all for having Brice be the number 2. It's either start brice or draft a fast receiver. The lack of a threat in the vertical passing game caused the offence serious problems. Last year Dez doubled and bease was singled and was always open. This year Dez singled and bease doubled and the passing offence went to shit. Dez simply can't beat a good corner one on one on the outside. Dez should take a pay cut or get cut. Cowboys have to consider a receiver in round one if one of those top two or three fall.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a damn idiot. He went on Skip Bayless show and basically said he was better than Dez. LMAO. Of course it just played right to Skip and his quest to get Dez out. Look Brice is OK, but he has had 3 yrs to prove himself. Maybe he didn't get the chance he deserved, but he should have shown something before they signed Williams.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he is going to get a big pay day, but I don't think he will get a deal as high as Vernon did (over $40M guaranteed)

DeMarcus Lawrence - DL - Cowboys
Cowboys DE DeMarcus Lawrence's agent doesn't think his client will reach free agency.

"I would imagine that they're probably not just letting us get to free agency and leave Dallas," said David Canter. "Whatever that number ends up being remains to be seen. But I do imagine and believe that we'll have multiple conversations over the next month or so." Canter compared Lawrence to one of his other clients, Olivier Vernon, who landed a five-year, $85 million contract when he hit the market in 2016. The Cowboys will sit down with Lawrence's representation at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis, which begins on February 28.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he is going to get a big pay day, but I don't think he will get a deal as high as Vernon did (over $40M guaranteed)

DeMarcus Lawrence - DL - Cowboys
Cowboys DE DeMarcus Lawrence's agent doesn't think his client will reach free agency.

"I would imagine that they're probably not just letting us get to free agency and leave Dallas," said David Canter. "Whatever that number ends up being remains to be seen. But I do imagine and believe that we'll have multiple conversations over the next month or so." Canter compared Lawrence to one of his other clients, Olivier Vernon, who landed a five-year, $85 million contract when he hit the market in 2016. The Cowboys will sit down with Lawrence's representation at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis, which begins on February 28.
I actually think he will

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington gets Alex Smith. I guess they will be printing thier Superbowl tickets lol

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington gets Alex Smith. I guess they will be printing thier Superbowl tickets lol

Shefter is saying the Chiefs are getting a 3rd rounder and Fuller.

First off Alex Smith is a good QB regardless what some will say. I think Cousins has more of the Wow factor but truth be known - we usually win vs him. I would take Cousins over him but there are a lot worse out there.

3rd round pick - to me I'm assuming they get right back with a compensatory pick for losing Cousins. Does this sound correct??

If I'm the Skins, I'm Ok with the first two. The thing I'm blowing my stack over is losing Kendall Fuller. That guy is a baller.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wondering how we were with the cap thinking would we make moves would we have to adjust pay (which I hate but understand) Was the comments about Dez taking a cut just empty BS because it couldnt be afforded to cut him.

If I read this right we are in good shape with the cap.
I dont advise cutting Dez but I would like to find his replacement this year, so it is a better option next year. (he isnt take a cut)
we have 9+ mil rollover from this year. Giving us over 20+ mil. in cap space (for now) for 2018.
There is really only 2 or three contracts we really cant cut.
Smith & Fredericks, but neither of them are leaving anyways.
Dont see us getting rid of Dez or Sean Lee's either.
Really no other Contracts would be harmful.
Now I am not for running out & going on a spending spree or give crazy money to undeserving, but it is nice to know if we wanted to go after someone we actually could. Also after 2018 Romo's #'s are off the books (the only real big dead money)
Dallas Cowboys 2018 Salary Cap

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't hear about Smith to Wash. IMO both teams just got weaker. Cousins is way better than Smith and KC is taking a risk letting him go for a guy who has never played. It will of course all come down to what both teams do with the cap room saved. At least from KCs point of view I get what they did and why. But for Wash to bring in an older, mediocre QB is a bad move and highlights how they screwed up the Cousins situation unless they are also getting their future QB this year via the draft or some other way.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wondering how we were with the cap thinking would we make moves would we have to adjust pay (which I hate but understand) Was the comments about Dez taking a cut just empty BS because it couldnt be afforded to cut him.

I dont advise cutting Dez but I would like to find his replacement this year, so it is a better option next year. (he isnt take a cut)
we have 9+ mil rollover from this year. Giving us over 20+ mil. in cap space (for now) for 2018.
Now I am not for running out & going on a spending spree or give crazy money to undeserving, but it is nice to know if we wanted to go after someone we actually could. Also after 2018 Romo's #'s are off the books (the only real big dead money)
If the article I read last week was accurate...if Lawrence is tagged, his 2018 cap hit will be between $15M and $18M. That alone eats up most of it. Now add Irving, Hitchens(?), a FA WR? a Martin deal? Cooper? any other FAs and the draft class? The cap room shrinks quickly. We will have little problem doing what we want this year IMO if we restructure contracts, but other than Frederick there aren't any contracts that will give us big savings that are also safe to restructure without creating a situation down the road where the player's dead cap is huge and the player is no longer wanted. This includes Smith due to possible back issue.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't hear about Smith to Wash. IMO both teams just got weaker. Cousins is way better than Smith and KC is taking a risk letting him go for a guy who has never played. It will of course all come down to what both teams do with the cap room saved. At least from KCs point of view I get what they did and why. But for Wash to bring in an older, mediocre QB is a bad move and highlights how they screwed up the Cousins situation unless they are also getting their future QB this year via the draft or some other way.
Terrible move for Washington, even worse than they've extended him out to 5 years. I figured they would draft a QB in round 1 and use Smith as a one year bridge

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Will be nice to see that $9 million for Romo drop off in 2019

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrible move for Washington, even worse than they've extended him out to 5 years. I figured they would draft a QB in round 1 and use Smith as a one year bridge
Holy Shit. I just saw that
"Alex Smith signed a 4 year, $94,000,000 contract with the Washington Redskins, including $71,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $23,500,000"

This is horrible for Wash. All because they wouldn't just pay Cousins in the first place. Between the last 2 years of tagging him and the 4 years for Smith, they probably ended up paying about the same thing and now they have an old mediocre QB who after many years in the league happened to have his best year ever (by far) at the right time to cash in and even the team that had him didn't want him. On top of that you give up a young DB and picks? I would be friggin pissed off big time if I were a Skins fan.