• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason Discussion

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been awfully quiet around here lately. So I thought I'd come up with a topic to discuss. How about Where were you when ... and you can discuss where you were or what you were doing during great ND games. I'll start if off:

1993 Game of the Century, was watching the game in our dorm, me and one other ND fan versus a whole floor of haters and FSU bandwaggoners. We sat in my friend's room getting absolutely shit faced, watching the game. A buddy of mine who was Irish Catholic from NYC, but absolutely hated ND, was running his mouth all week long, by halftime all the courage had left him.

We went to McDonalds at halftime to chow on cheap greasy food, and didn't mind missing the start of the second half.

Things became a lot blurry after Wooden batted down Charlie Ward's last pass.

Ice Cube's good day couldn't top that feeling.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about those of us who were born in 1990, and have zero recollection of National titles, or big bowl wins? Biggest bowl win of my fandom would be. . . LSU in the Music City Bowl?

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised @idseer isn't in here recalling the days of Angelo Bertelli, the Four Horsemen, Knute Rockne

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can recall Ara, Joe Montana, Ross Browner, and Luther Bradley. Does that count.

Must be nice, you spoiled son of a bitch.

I'm feeling oddly optimistic about this upcoming season.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about those of us who were born in 1990, and have zero recollection of National titles, or big bowl wins? Biggest bowl win of my fandom would be. . . LSU in the Music City Bowl?

You can regale us about the time Ty blew it against Boston College, but the green jerseys was a nice touch.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Must be nice, you spoiled son of a bitch.

I'm always oddly optimistic during the offseason. I thought we had a shot at the playoff last year at this time. Although, so did a few of the college football magazines I bought last year.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You missed some great times to be an ND fan. Within a month of getting my acceptance letter, we beat Bama in the Sugar Bowl to win the NC (most exciting college football game ever) and beat UCLA in basketball to end their 88 game win streak.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm still pretty salty after last season. There are things I like, but I am not sure will be ingrained enough at the start of the season to matter.

Specifically, I like Elko's commitment to fundamentals over scheme. So far, they've worked on the basics, tackling, hand work foot work, etc. He hasn't installed anything in the way of defensive alignments or calls, the emphasis is entirely on playing the game properly. And that has always been my frustration with "scheme" type coaches, like BK and BVG.

It was embarrassing how bad Van Gorder's teams were fundamentally. To make matters worse, they couldn't execute his scheme because it was too complicated anyway. The problem is, in watching some of the early practice videos this spring, they have a LONG way to go to improve those fundamentals. Some guys in the secondary were hilariously bad at tackling, some of them looked like they didn't know how.

For that reason, and the fact that at key spots, we're still thin, and can't spare any injuries, and even still probably have guys playing out of position to fill in the gaps, I will hope to be presently surprised.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still pretty salty after last season. There are things I like, but I am not sure will be ingrained enough at the start of the season to matter.

Specifically, I like Elko's commitment to fundamentals over scheme. So far, they've worked on the basics, tackling, hand work foot work, etc. He hasn't installed anything in the way of defensive alignments or calls, the emphasis is entirely on playing the game properly. And that has always been my frustration with "scheme" type coaches, like BK and BVG.

It was embarrassing how bad Van Gorder's teams were fundamentally. To make matters worse, they couldn't execute his scheme because it was too complicated anyway. The problem is, in watching some of the early practice videos this spring, they have a LONG way to go to improve those fundamentals. Some guys in the secondary were hilariously bad at tackling, some of them looked like they didn't know how.

For that reason, and the fact that at key spots, we're still thin, and can't spare any injuries, and even still probably have guys playing out of position to fill in the gaps, I will hope to be presently surprised.

Last time BVG left a college football team, that team went on to win a National championship the next year. (Auburn in 2013). This has to be a good omen. It's interesting that Georgia hired him as a defensive analyst, since we play them in our third game this year.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's interesting that Georgia hired him as a defensive analyst, since we play them in our third game this year.
Were it not for the fact he was a former coach there, I'd call outright shenanigans on that move.

Then again, not sure what good he will be since the defense will be totally re-vamped.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was born in 85. Don't remember the 93 game against FSU(although I've watched the replay). Oddly enough my first recollection of ND football was Lou Holtz' last game against USC when we lost at the end. I was really pissed(for only being 10) and then I remember ND choosing to not go to a bowl game(at least that's how I remember it playing out). That's the first game I can remember actually watching, probably because we should have won against a bad USC team, so I was a little stunned. Since then it's been a pretty frustrating 20 years of fandom. But there have definitely been some great times.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was born in 85. Don't remember the 93 game against FSU(although I've watched the replay). Oddly enough my first recollection of ND football was Lou Holtz' last game against USC when we lost at the end. I was really pissed(for only being 10) and then I remember ND choosing to not go to a bowl game(at least that's how I remember it playing out). That's the first game I can remember actually watching, probably because we should have won against a bad USC team, so I was a little stunned. Since then it's been a pretty frustrating 20 years of fandom. But there have definitely been some great times.

Hang in there. Wimbush is the guy. I feel it.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hang in there. Wimbush is the guy. I feel it.

It's not all been bad. There were some good seasons along the way, just haven't resulted in a Natty. I'm cautiously optimistic about this season. I like the changes that were made in the offseason, so I definitely think we'll be improved this year.

I would just like us to be more consistent as a football program. Regular finishes in the top 20, and occasionally contending for a CFP spot(like every 3/4 years or so)

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last time BVG left a college football team, that team went on to win a National championship the next year. (Auburn in 2013). This has to be a good omen. It's interesting that Georgia hired him as a defensive analyst, since we play them in our third game this year.

2nd game of the year I believe, after Temple

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You missed some great times to be an ND fan. Within a month of getting my acceptance letter, we beat Bama in the Sugar Bowl to win the NC (most exciting college football game ever) and beat UCLA in basketball to end their 88 game win streak.

Digger Phelps

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I had to make sure this was jjc and not idseer.

Unfortunately, in the back of my head, I feel the same way. Maybe it's my heart talking, but I do have some optimism about the year. I like our offense, Wimbush will be asked to do less than Kizer, which will result in more. We have a stable of TEs that I think will be used this season, and I really like the backfield with Adams and Dexter