• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason 2016-17

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Theres still baseball going on but not for the mariners, so why not kick off the offseason thread?

Looks like the mariners are going to kick the tires on a trade for cozart again

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this will be a interesting off season to follow as a Mariners fan. There are many positions that this team can upgrade, it just comes down to finding the right players. I think there are options out there for this team to improve.

First of all I think the pitching depth needs to be addressed, better and more consistent starting pitching would be a huge step forward. The bullpen had some bright spots throughout the season but as a whole it blew some leads and coughed up potential wins pretty regularly. So if Dipoto can touch up the BP and Rotation with a few additions or subtractions It should benefit this team on a large scale.

As far as position players go there are numerous spots where upgrades could occur don't need to address them all but hitting a few of them will make a big difference. All the outfield spots could be upgraded, 1st base and SS are ones that come to mind right off the bat.

This was an up and down season for the M's but they made it close, in some areas I think they overachieved in others I think they underachieved. I am looking forward to '17 because I think they could field a really good team if the cards fall right and if Dipoto can bring in some key pieces.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Theres still baseball going on but not for the mariners, so why not kick off the offseason thread?

Looks like the mariners are going to kick the tires on a trade for cozart again

Nothing against Marte, but we need to upgrade the SS position in the offseason. This doesn't mean that we ship Marte as part of the deal, but until he can be consistent on both sides of the ball we need to upgrade.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to give up on Marte already after one full year. He wasn't a top prospect so you can expect a Trout like splash. I would like to see O'Malley get more of a chance to establish a position instead of just writing him off as a utility guy. If that is the case then he should have real value in a deal to a NL team to add depth to the rotation.

There were options late in the year in the outfield for next year but with the so many platooning they did, its hard to see if they actually have guys that can play or not. The FA market looks pretty bare so it is a good off season not to spend a boat load on guys then not have the ability to cut them like Benoit, Lind etc.

Tapey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the idea of acquiring someone like cozart, then having o'malley back him up with marte developing in the minors for next year.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marte definitely needs some seasoning but I'm not so sure he has to go full Zunino. The issue with sending him back to AAA is you essentially have to trade him. You have to find a major league SS through free agency or trade or allow O'Malley or someone else in the organization take that position. The way the roster is set up they need to win ASAP not just throw in the towel at SS for a year while letting Marte develop. If Dipoto can entertain bringing Aoki back then Marte should be given every opportunity to make the opening day roster not just come into camp and train for Tacoma.

Tapey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like smith is back
Aoki gone
Furbush gone
Clevenger gone

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing too surprising yet. Will be interesting to see what happens in the next week. The next week could reveal a lot about what the Mariners direction this off season.

Do they try and keep one of the first base platoons Lind or Lee or neither? I am leaning towards neither at this point.

Tapey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So looks like back up catcher has been taken care of, as we have traded vidal nuno for carlos ruiz

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So looks like back up catcher has been taken care of, as we have traded vidal nuno for carlos ruiz

When I first read about this trade, I think people freaked out when they saw the vague phrase "Dodgers trade Ruiz to Mariners for pitcher on 40-man roster" and they started throwing out worst case scenarios left and right. This isn't a trade that is going to take the league by storm obviously, but it's also not the lopsided "Mariners functioning as a AAA team for better teams" trade that quite a few people assumed it was based on that early description of it.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have an owner who publicly states that he is prepared to spend if Dipoto asks for the money. But when I see predictions of where the top free agents will land:

MLB Trade Rumors has us signing Brett Cecil.
NY Post has us signing Michael Saunders.

Call me crazy but I think we will make one free agent splash bigger than either of these two. And I think the Saunders ship has sailed. I doubt if we ever see him in a Mariner uniform again. But I'll concede that Cecil is at outside and somewhat intriguing possibility.

Tapey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We suposedly have interest in mike napoli

Tapey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't love Napoli for the M's. he could be a good fit to platoon with Vogelbach if they decide Vogelbach is ready for the majors.
Maybe, depends what we would pay him, I doubt he would come here just to platoon, im sure there are some teams who would guarantee him full time playing, plus if he does come here how much would we have to pay him just to platoon? Just doesn't seem like a fit unless hes full time, which I wouldnt like either.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, depends what we would pay him, I doubt he would come here just to platoon, im sure there are some teams who would guarantee him full time playing, plus if he does come here how much would we have to pay him just to platoon? Just doesn't seem like a fit unless hes full time, which I wouldnt like either.
I actually wouldn't sign him if the plan is for him to be full time. His value is inflated which is why I wouldn't love or like it. truth is I think there are better fits that come probably with less money attached so we can spend more somewhere else

Tapey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually wouldn't sign him if the plan is for him to be full time. His value is inflated which is why I wouldn't love or like it. truth is I think there are better fits that come probably with less money attached so we can spend more somewhere else
I agree, I also doubt he would come here just to platoon, im sure some other team will give him a full time gig

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, I also doubt he would come here just to platoon, im sure some other team will give him a full time gig
Probably so. I am very curious to see what Dipoto does with first base, cause I don't like the idea of banking on a rookie in Vogelbach without a decent guy you can depend on in case Vogelbach falls flat on his face. I think Dipoto should go into it with the game plan being expect VBach won't do well and if he does great.. but not sure if the money is there for moves like that without sacrificing elsewhere

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't love Napoli for the M's. he could be a good fit to platoon with Vogelbach if they decide Vogelbach is ready for the majors.

Napoli is one of those guys who wins everywhere he goes. All four of the teams he has been on have made the playoffs. He has been in the majors 11 years and has gone to the playoffs 8 times. Some players seemingly influence a winning attitude and atmosphere. I think Napoli is one of those guys.

On the downside, he will be 35 next year, he strikes out a ton, and his OPS has been significantly lower than his career OPS over the last two seasons.

I think I could live with something like a 2 year/$25-30 mill contract. I wouldn't want to go beyond that.

Tapey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably so. I am very curious to see what Dipoto does with first base, cause I don't like the idea of banking on a rookie in Vogelbach without a decent guy you can depend on in case Vogelbach falls flat on his face. I think Dipoto should go into it with the game plan being expect VBach won't do well and if he does great.. but not sure if the money is there for moves like that without sacrificing elsewhere
I also dont think banking on lee to be the guy would be good either, after pitchers adjusted to him he just fell off