• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Smackdown thread

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
HHH and Angle carried the WM match which is understandable. She is new to wrestling and still very green. Stephanie was also the easiest sell given her ability to play the victim role. I'm not saying Rousey won't eventually transition. But the sell when she was put through the table was awful. Overall she's just looked kind of awkward. Transitioning she may have been better off starting off in NXT like Baszler. But with her name and the push WWE has given her that really wasn't possible. And some of it has been pretty bad. Ie listing her as top ten WWE signings of guys like Stone Cold,AJ Styles etc.... They paired her with Natty for a reason she really needs the work and mentor.Until I've seen her compete at a quality level and sell both her moves and a quality opponents moves. I'm not buying in just yet. Thankfully they aired the Ultimate deletion during this segment. It was awful from the b rate Matrix thing here to Ronda botching the exploder suplex to the point Dana had to clearly jump into it in order to try to sell it :L Not saying she won't transition but she's far from ready for WWE atm

giphy.gif

Not fond of the direction RAW went with Strowman he's almost comic relief now. Not a fan of Reigns. After the shakeup and return of Bryan. Smackdown is looking like the better show from top to bottom imo

Just a differing perspective but I don't think HHH can get a 3 star match out of Angle right now. Angle's physically beat up and HHH is too far past his prime to carry Angle to a strong match. All of the star power was Rousey and she was clearly the the alpha athlete in the ring. HHH and others booked the match perfectly but Rousey delivered.

I prefer SD too because it's going to be built around Bryan and AJ. It's just that objectivity I think the rosters are even with Raw catering to one audience and SD another.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a differing perspective but I don't think HHH can get a 3 star match out of Angle right now. Angle's physically beat up and HHH is too far past his prime to carry Angle to a strong match. All of the star power was Rousey and she was clearly the the alpha athlete in the ring. HHH and others booked the match perfectly but Rousey delivered.

I prefer SD too because it's going to be built around Bryan and AJ. It's just that objectivity I think the rosters are even with Raw catering to one audience and SD another.
HHH only needed to get enough out of Angle. He also sold Rousey in that match as did Steph.Star power,UFC and WWE are two different worlds. CM Punk had star power but that hasn't equated to success in MMA. Some have done it some have failed. As I said it was one mixed tag gimmick match. I can't buy Rousey until she's got some singles matches against members of the female roster That perform at a higher completion level. Aside from HHH Steph. She really hasn't shown anything other than Brand name" and has looked very awkward and out of place. If she puts a lot of work in she may transition but she has a really long way to go in ring and in promos.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is very true about creative. Just sucks that they're not doing the single brand PPV's or specials or whatever they're calling them now because Smackdown shows would be a lot of fun wrestling wise.

Well supposedly they are doing less PPVs this year (thus the reason for the co-branded shows) so maybe we'll get more of those potentially fun matches on the weekly shows since not every feud will have the time for a PPV payoff

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raw was basically constant GRR promotion, even interrupting some matches to promote it, but it did have one thing that was awesome; A Moment of Bliss. I really hope that becomes a thing. Alexa Bliss turning the bullying thing around as if she's the victim is some gloriously twisted mean girl shit that she's so good at.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raw was basically constant GRR promotion, even interrupting some matches to promote it, but it did have one thing that was awesome; A Moment of Bliss. I really hope that becomes a thing. Alexa Bliss turning the bullying thing around as if she's the victim is some gloriously twisted mean girl shit that she's so good at.

Well it is a monumental event.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it is a monumental event.

Sorta, but not really. They have international shows. It's just that Saudi Arabia paid them big bucks to come there (for the first time) so they are treating it like its something special when its really not much different than their other international house shows.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorta, but not really. They have international shows. It's just that Saudi Arabia paid them big bucks to come there (for the first time) so they are treating it like its something special when its really not much different than their other international house shows.

It's in a 50,000 seat outdoor stadium, when's the last time an international show was even in something larger than 15,000? Also Saudi Arabia hasn't had professional wrestling in what seems like forever, hell they just lifted a 20 year ban on people going to the theater to watch a movie, they just lifted their ban on Women driving last year. They are an untapped huge market that WWE is the first one to capitalize on. This isn't just some regular old house show. If does this huge for WWE this will set the precedent for them to possibly move into China officially and also do huge PPV events in places like Australia, India, even the UK. Believe me this isn't just a run of the mill international house show, this could get us ready for big international shows in countries like we've never seen before.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's in a 50,000 seat outdoor stadium, when's the last time an international show was even in something larger than 15,000? Also Saudi Arabia hasn't had professional wrestling in what seems like forever, hell they just lifted a 20 year ban on people going to the theater to watch a movie, they just lifted their ban on Women driving last year. They are an untapped huge market that WWE is the first one to capitalize on. This isn't just some regular old house show. If does this huge for WWE this will set the precedent for them to possibly move into China officially and also do huge PPV events in places like Australia, India, even the UK. Believe me this isn't just a run of the mill international house show, this could get us ready for big international shows in countries like we've never seen before.

Yes, its true that its a new market and Saudi Arabia is trying to modernize themselves to a degree. But the Saudis also paid a fucking shit ton of money to get this show which is why WWE is hyping it up and sending a lot of name talent. It's basically a one off that'll be forgotten as years go by. Its not that big of a deal as the promotion is making it out to be. Hell, they did something similar with a big tour in India last year. Only difference was it wasn't on the Network because India didn't pay them the big bucks.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nakamura got some new heel entrance music. I'm digging it.

Also, Big Cass cut a promo that totally didn't suck. I'm impressed

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Yeah, the Cass promo was impressive. It was a few straight minutes of talking and he delivered it really well. He sounded confident. I wonder if he took acting lessons while he was injured.
He has a finance degree from NYU so he probably has the memorization skills to cut great promos if he got more comfortable with public speaking.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One would think that they wanted Nakamura's heel theme with a guy singing over the guitar part to prevent the fans from singing along to the riff.

And Big Cass surprised everyone with that promo, even though the fans were trying to ruin it with the stupid 'what' chants....I thought he'd fade away without Enzo but that might not be the case.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, its true that its a new market and Saudi Arabia is trying to modernize themselves to a degree. But the Saudis also paid a fucking shit ton of money to get this show which is why WWE is hyping it up and sending a lot of name talent. It's basically a one off that'll be forgotten as years go by. Its not that big of a deal as the promotion is making it out to be. Hell, they did something similar with a big tour in India last year. Only difference was it wasn't on the Network because India didn't pay them the big bucks.
Big tour in India??? The tour that was reduced to 2 shows and then the second show got cancelled due to poor ticket sales. The tour were the one remaining show sold 6,000 or so tickets tops. That big tour. Not even close to the same thing!

WWE has loaded the Saudi show due to the $$$$ and is pushing it to the moon. They have delivered more than a regular house show and it won't be a one off. The Undertaker is wrestling for godsakes. I expect some title changes to happen too. They are drawing eyes to it on their Network and when you do that you have to deliver more than a ho hum house show. At least I hope so. Of course WWE could drop the ball on this but there is too much $$$$ on the line for that to happen.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big tour in India??? The tour that was reduced to 2 shows and then the second show got cancelled due to poor ticket sales. The tour were the one remaining show sold 6,000 or so tickets tops. That big tour. Not even close to the same thing!

WWE has loaded the Saudi show due to the $$$$ and is pushing it to the moon. They have delivered more than a regular house show and it won't be a one off. The Undertaker is wrestling for godsakes. I expect some title changes to happen too. They are drawing eyes to it on their Network and when you do that you have to deliver more than a ho hum house show. At least I hope so. Of course WWE could drop the ball on this but there is too much $$$$ on the line for that to happen.

Maybe I'm not expressing what I mean the right way. I don't mean its just some bumfuck house show you see in some 3rd tier US city. I'm saying its not all that different from other international shows where they stack the card (or some of the MSG house shows, which have included title changes). But you never see those shows. What makes this different is the Saudis paid a shit ton for this and they are appeasing them for it, pretending like this show is some special PPV akin to Wrestlemania or any other Big 4 PPV. They'll do other shows in Saudi Arabia afterwards because its part of the deal sure, but I don't expect GRR to be yearly thing that's getting featured this heavily. Historically, it'll be a footnote most likely remembered as the show Reigns won the title because they got too cute at WM and ruined it.

DefCONNOne

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You mean to tell me the India tour that was the catalyst for the Jobber Mahal experiment was a total dud? Say it ain't so.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm not expressing what I mean the right way. I don't mean its just some bumfuck house show you see in some 3rd tier US city. I'm saying its not all that different from other international shows where they stack the card (or some of the MSG house shows, which have included title changes). But you never see those shows. What makes this different is the Saudis paid a shit ton for this and they are appeasing them for it, pretending like this show is some special PPV akin to Wrestlemania or any other Big 4 PPV. They'll do other shows in Saudi Arabia afterwards because its part of the deal sure, but I don't expect GRR to be yearly thing that's getting featured this heavily. Historically, it'll be a footnote most likely remembered as the show Reigns won the title because they got too cute at WM and ruined it.
That remains to be seen. If it does good ratings on the Network and sells out the stadium, who knows. They could make it an annual thing. WWE is trying to make in roads in that untapped market and further the improving treatment of women in that region as well. I don't see them passing up any opportunities to do that while also making money.

Your PPV point is moot cause there are no PPVs anymore. Its all about Network buys/retention and if an annual Saudi show drives up Network buys/retention especially internationally it will become an annual event. Plus it could slow down the Network drops after WM. That's why WWE is going to cross-brand (PPV) shows going forward to make all their shows feel big and drive Network buys/retention. IMO WrestleMania is still by itself in importance but the other 11 (PPV) shows will become closer together in importance with the exception of Royal Rumble since it starts the build to WM.

I expect a major push soon by WWE to wipe 'PPV' from our vernacular just like they tried to do with 'fan'. 'PPV' is really outdated in terms of their current Network driven business model. It will be interesting to see what their PR machine comes up with to replace 'PPV'. Thinking about, they've already started to do this. You don't hear announcers say PPV anymore. Instead they just call the show by name.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That remains to be seen. If it does good ratings on the Network and sells out the stadium, who knows. They could make it an annual thing. WWE is trying to make in roads in that untapped market and further the improving treatment of women in that region as well. I don't see them passing up any opportunities to do that while also making money.

Your PPV point is moot cause there are no PPVs anymore. Its all about Network buys/retention and if an annual Saudi show drives up Network buys/retention especially internationally it will become an annual event. Plus it could slow down the Network drops after WM. That's why WWE is going to cross-brand (PPV) shows going forward to make all their shows feel big and drive Network buys/retention. IMO WrestleMania is still by itself in importance but the other 11 (PPV) shows will become closer together in importance with the exception of Royal Rumble since it starts the build to WM.

I expect a major push soon by WWE to wipe 'PPV' from our vernacular just like they tried to do with 'fan'. 'PPV' is really outdated in terms of their current Network driven business model. It will be interesting to see what their PR machine comes up with to replace 'PPV'. Thinking about, they've already started to do this. You don't hear announcers say PPV anymore. Instead they just call the show by name.

The PPV thing isn't moot because you don't get what I'm saying. I'm saying is that they are treating GRR as if it has the same significant as its other Big 4 shows (WM, RR, SS, and Survivor Series). PPV is just a term used to describe a monthly show, I don't mean it in the literal sense as you call up your TV provider and order it vs getting it on the Network. And its not just me that does that. Most everyone still calls them PPVs because they haven't really come up with a new term to replace the outdated vernacular. You even said as much yourself in the last paragraph. And GRR isn't at that stature of those Big 4. It's very much a supped up house show that's been done in international markets and sometimes in the US like at MSG or even to another smaller extent, the Starcade show they had in Greensboro last year. It's even been put together in much the same way with a card quickly thrown together with a bunch of big names to pop the market which you'd expect because again, the Saudis paid a ridiculous sum of money to get it so WWE will go all out on the first go round. And also like those special attraction one off shows, its been built with little to no storyline development on the TV side of things (more indication that its just a one off). If anything, they've had to write around their plans to force this in. I just don't see how its a monumental historical event considering that A) there's been no indication anywhere that its going to be a new big thing B) How quickly it was thrown together and C) They have done similar shows (similar, not as big) in Europe, Japan, etc with big names, title matches, gimmick matches but they just didn't air them on the Network.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The PPV thing isn't moot because you don't get what I'm saying. I'm saying is that they are treating GRR as if it has the same significant as its other Big 4 shows (WM, RR, SS, and Survivor Series). PPV is just a term used to describe a monthly show, I don't mean it in the literal sense as you call up your TV provider and order it vs getting it on the Network. And its not just me that does that. Most everyone still calls them PPVs because they haven't really come up with a new term to replace the outdated vernacular. You even said as much yourself in the last paragraph. And GRR isn't at that stature of those Big 4. It's very much a supped up house show that's been done in international markets and sometimes in the US like at MSG or even to another smaller extent, the Starcade show they had in Greensboro last year. It's even been put together in much the same way with a card quickly thrown together with a bunch of big names to pop the market which you'd expect because again, the Saudis paid a ridiculous sum of money to get it so WWE will go all out on the first go round. And also like those special attraction one off shows, its been built with little to no storyline development on the TV side of things (more indication that its just a one off). If anything, they've had to write around their plans to force this in. I just don't see how its a monumental historical event considering that A) there's been no indication anywhere that its going to be a new big thing B) How quickly it was thrown together and C) They have done similar shows (similar, not as big) in Europe, Japan, etc with big names, title matches, gimmick matches but they just didn't air them on the Network.
Terminology aside, I disagree. Their drive is Network content. This fits the bill. This has a different feel to it. You don't make anything annual until you see if it succeeds first. No one knew if there would be another WM after the 1st one but it succeeded and the rest is history. There are top contenders for every male title on this show and not just at the top. That doesn't happen on the international and MSG shows. They started the push for this show before WM and ramped it into high gear as soon as WM was over. Hell, they announced the rematch between reigns and Lesnar in the cage as soon as WM was over. That doesn't happen for the shows you mentioned. This show was pushed and built up on Raw and SD. Lesnar even showed up to push it. That doesn't usually happen either.

They've already announced a DVD release before the show even happened. It seemed like a quickly thrown together show to us because they held off announcing matches other than the GRR until after WM. But this show obviously affected some of the outcomes of the WM matches. It has all the indications of being annual if and only if it is a success. They are also in a volatile part of the world so announcing anything until you see if this show goes off without any hitches would be premature at best. So, well see if it becomes annual or not. To say it won't at this point is premature.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to keep hammering this point home, but look at your list of wrestlers and tell me who the Miz could beat straight up in a match. The only one I could believably see Miz beating is Jeff Hardy, and that's only because Hardy is a daredevil and would likely beat himself. Everyone else, the Miz would need help to beat. Not very credible, IMO.

If that's your logic, the following guys wouldn't have had titles because there are other guys who you'd think can easily take them down in real life:

-Shawn Michaels
-Daniel Bryan
-Bret Hart
-Chris Jericho
-Rey Mysterio
-Jeff Hardy
-CM Punk

and so on...

If your belief if that only the guys who can realistically beat most/everyone should be champ, every champ would be 6'8, 275 lbs. That's not the reality of it....

DefCONNOne

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that's your logic, the following guys wouldn't have had titles because there are other guys who you'd think can easily take them down in real life:

-Shawn Michaels
-Daniel Bryan
-Bret Hart
-Chris Jericho
-Rey Mysterio
-Jeff Hardy
-CM Punk

and so on...

If your belief if that only the guys who can realistically beat most/everyone should be champ, every champ would be 6'8, 275 lbs. That's not the reality of it....

Oh FFS!! You're bringing this post out of mothballs?! Why? To prove what point?

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh FFS!! You're bringing this post out of mothballs?! Why? To prove what point?

I forgot that we're only supposed to respond to posts made in the past 10 minutes :crazy:

974d7e0c8f7e5deee7956666022246e5--pita-point-of-view.jpg

Last edited: