• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Seahawks draft discussion thread

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be going out again soon but I've got to say I was sad to see Wilson selected by the Bears, really liked him.

I'm surprised Chase Thomas went undrafted. Blstoker that is a good list of the top UDFAs, I really don't have anything to add to that.

Da'Rick Rogers and Chase Thomas are probably my two favorites and if I could have my pick that is who I would grab. Da'Rick Rogers has a lot of talent, I have to imagine the character concerns and time away from football really hurt him.

EDIT: Da'Rick Rogers signed with the Bills. Chase Thomas to the Saints.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uhsplit is actually a great poster, I think he's may be just be over reacting right now. He may see you as one of those posters I refer to as fake fans. A poster who claims to be a fan but posts nothing but negative crap. I don't see you in that light. I think what you posted is something I could sink my teeth into. Later this week I plan to argue your points. Right now I got family members leaving town, so I can not really give you a argument that would do a thread justice.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason(s) for the Michael pick should be made clearer in the next day or two I would think. The rumor I've heard about the Michael pick is that they were trying to trade the pick or trade him after making the pick and couldn't find a partner. It could be just a rumor and he was their intended pick all along, but we'll see.

If he was their intended pick, it leads me to believe, as I stated before, that Turbin's job as the backup to Lynch is not as secure as we thought it was. I don't think anyone went into this draft thinking that we needed to find a replacement for Turbin or even a replacement for Washington as our change-of-pace guy (which wouldn't make much sense given how similar Michael is to Lynch).

In fact, I think most people assumed Turbin was our solid backup and that Harvin would be getting touches at running back (my hunch is that he still will get plenty). This pick certainly threw that all into the air, which is why I can't call it a wasted pick. Not until we know what the thinking behind it was anyway.

I think it's too easy to look at a position that we already seem set at and see a pick at that position as "wasted" or one that we could have made later, but unless we're in the room with the guys making the decision, it's impossible to know the reasoning behind the pick until they tell us. I see a lot of reactions to a lot of picks from the last three days wondering why we didn't pick someone else instead or why we didn't wait to pick the guy we did until later. Those answers, if they come at all, should be coming in the next day or two as well.

I'm not sure why we picked who we picked, but until I hear from Schneider and Carroll definitively, it's difficult for me to say that we shouldn't have picked who we picked when we picked them. For some of these guys, it might take seeing them play in games to understand why they were picked. For now, at least to me, it seems premature to be overly excited about them or overly pessimistic about them.

Then again, we were seemingly set at so many positions going in that we could afford to get creative with a fair amount of our picks and go BPA.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As usual, great post dude.

An advantage we had is that we did not have to draft a starter for this year. SF (not picking on SF, but they are presently our main hurdle to jump over) desperately needed a FS, so with their 1st pick they were forced to trade up after Vacarro went to NO.

So, on the surface it is easy to say we had an underwhelming draft. Look deeper as we were not drafting players to start this year.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

An advantage we had is that we did not have to draft a starter for this year. SF (not picking on SF, but they are presently our main hurdle to jump over) desperately needed a FS, so with their 1st pick they were forced to trade up after Vacarro went to NO.

So, on the surface it is easy to say we had an underwhelming draft. Look deeper as we were not drafting players to start this year.

We all knew that we had to get one of the top FS in the draft in order to hold onto our pass defense. We also knew we needed to draft an heir apparent to Justin Smith, who although still playing at an All Pro level, is getting long in the tooth. We did that as well. I view the Hawks drafting of Michael as looking towards the future when Lynch isn't playing quite like Lynch. It also, IMO, shows the FO lack of confidence in Turbin a bit, something that 234 may lose his lunch reading...but the fact is you don't draft a RB in the 2nd round unless you have plans of utilizing him within the first couple years of drafting him. RBs have a shelf life of like 8 yrs. A 2nd round pick means he will see the field sooner rather then later.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Physical runners like Lynch have a even shorter shelf life then the usual RB. I point to the Falcons game were Lynch was injured but tried to tough it . I see Turbin as a third down back, and that will not change. Turbin has good hands and good speed for a big guy. Micheals was drafted to be Lynch successor.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We didn't necessarily have to draft a starter in this draft, but chances are good that we'll still end up with a couple guys from this draft starting for us. I'm thinking linebacker unless Smith is ready to take the next step and defensive tackle where we lost a couple of guys that got a lot of playing time last year. Other than that, it was a draft for depth (lots of depth in the case of WR, RB and TE), which is what most of us expected it to be I think. Making that trade with Baltimore just gave us more picks to play with.

I know some people weren't happy that we didn't go after certain players that they wanted to see us go after and some of those players may end up as starters on the teams they did go to, but I believe that Schneider got the players they wanted to get and that they would have gotten some of those players they didn't end up getting if they really wanted them. There were reasons that they picked who they picked, when they picked them and I'm sure we'll hear some of those reasons shortly.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Physical runners like Lynch have a even shorter shelf life then the usual RB. I point to the Falcons game were Lynch was injured but tried to tough it . I see Turbin as a third down back, and that will not change. Turbin has good hands and good speed for a big guy. Micheals was drafted to be Lynch successor.

It wouldn't be the first time that a team didn't get what they thought they were getting from a draft pick one year and drafted a player at the same position a year later to compete with and potentially replace him. Luckily for us, this particular player isn't a starter and while you never like to feel like you wasted a pick (the wasted pick being the Turbin pick from last year if he ends up getting replaced by Michael), you'd rather try to get it right than stubbornly hold onto a player that isn't what you thought he was, and him being the backup gives you the flexibility to try to get it right without throwing off an entire part of your offense (or your cap) in the process.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all knew that we had to get one of the top FS in the draft in order to hold onto our pass defense. We also knew we needed to draft an heir apparent to Justin Smith, who although still playing at an All Pro level, is getting long in the tooth. We did that as well. I view the Hawks drafting of Michael as looking towards the future when Lynch isn't playing quite like Lynch. It also, IMO, shows the FO lack of confidence in Turbin a bit, something that 234 may lose his lunch reading...but the fact is you don't draft a RB in the 2nd round unless you have plans of utilizing him within the first couple years of drafting him. RBs have a shelf life of like 8 yrs. A 2nd round pick means he will see the field sooner rather then later.

I will try not to lose my lunch but you do bring up a good point about the possibility of them not having confidence on a runningback on the roster.

Although it appears we obviously disagree about Turbin's talent, I would be surprised if it was Robert Turbin they were worried about, having watched him play with the Seahawks he really impressed me.

Back when the Seahawks traded for Marshawn Lynch I was ironically one of the few people on the CBS boards who was estatic by the trade and continued to defend Lynch despite his 3.5 yards per carry average his first season here. He's one of my favorite players on the team (in terms of playing style) and I've been a big supporter of his.

That being said I think if the FO has concerns about any HB on the roster (Currently the only two HBs on the roster are Lynch and Turbin) I have to imagine it would be Lynch. He was extremely productive last year but in another thread you brought up a good point that he has a lot of carries under his belt.

Give this video a look and tell me you don't think Turbin looks exactly like Christine Michael, but at the NFL level:

Robert Turbin Seahawks 2012 Highlights - YouTube

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK I've watched it and what I see is a RB that is used as a receiver out of the backfield more often, then as a runner out of the backfield.

Did you ever wonder why the Seahawks put Lynch on the field against the Falcons , even though is just wasn't able to perform due to being injured, rather then bring in Turbin? Personally I think that was a mistake, but is kind of shows that the Seahawks feel Turbin is more of a third down, catch a pass kind of player IMO.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm probably the biggest Robert Turbin fan in Seattle. CBS posters can vouch for my reaction when the Seahawks drafted him. Since I know one of the kids at Utah State, I've seen a lot of their games over the years. He may not have Lynch's stiff arm, but the kid is a hard-nosed, between the tackle runner with really good hands. I look forward to when this guy becomes the feature back.

Lynch may have only turned 27, but he's already got 1600 touches in his career, 260 a year. He's one tough guy, but you can only take so much. He's already had foot issues, and I want to say something with his back. He gives you everything he has, but when he breaks may be sudden and final.

I don't mind the player they took, just when they addressed the position. In the Seahawks offense, you can never have too many good RBs. I just expected them to get to the fifth. Just remember, the Seahawks set the pass up with the run, and having three RBs who will bruise and punish the defense and can really run, that will wear you down like no other!

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK I've watched it and what I see is a RB that is used as a receiver out of the backfield more often, then as a runner out of the backfield.

Well, he was the third down back, which would mean that he would see more action on passing downs. He did have 92 carries and 22 catches in the 18 games.

As for why they played Lynch, I didn't see the game so I can't speak to what was happening at the time, but it may have just as much to do with how much they trust Lynch and it was a win or go home situation. If I'm the coach and my star is telling me that he is ready, and the doctors clear him, I'm putting him in.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will try not to lose my lunch but you do bring up a good point about the possibility of them not having confidence on a runningback on the roster.

Although it appears we obviously disagree about Turbin's talent, I would be surprised if it was Robert Turbin they were worried about, having watched him play with the Seahawks he really impressed me.

Back when the Seahawks traded for Marshawn Lynch I was ironically one of the few people on the CBS boards who was estatic by the trade and continued to defend Lynch despite his 3.5 yards per carry average his first season here. He's one of my favorite players on the team (in terms of playing style) and I've been a big supporter of his.

That being said I think if the FO has concerns about any HB on the roster (Currently the only two HBs on the roster are Lynch and Turbin) I have to imagine it would be Lynch. He was extremely productive last year but in another thread you brought up a good point that he has a lot of carries under his belt.

Give this video a look and tell me you don't think Turbin looks exactly like Christine Michael, but at the NFL level:

Robert Turbin Seahawks 2012 Highlights - YouTube

234, if there is concern about Lynch, it's only that they didn't feel as if Turbin could successfully handle the position should Lynch miss extended time. The concern is certainly not about Lynch's production. That has been my point. Turbin, to me, doesn't have the home run potential that Michael has. Just my opinion. But as a fan of an opposing team, Turbin is a substitution most teams' fans look forward to.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lynch is facing a suspension, up to 4 games, correct?

We can't have just Turbin carrying the load if that happens.
We needed another back, and CM fills the future too.
I was surprised with that early pick, but I like it.

I do believe that the looming suspension had something to do with this pick.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What would Lynch be facing a suspension for? Did I miss something?

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was arrested for DUI near the end of last summer IIRC.

nk12thman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He will miss 1 game at most from what I've heard.