• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners trade deadline rumors/armchair GM thread

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to think the Mariners need to look to add 3-4 starting pitchers. Right now the only starting pitcher I'm comfortable with going into next year with is James Paxton, and he's injury prone.

It mostly pisses me off because we gave up assets to acquire Marco Gonazales and Erasmo Ramirez and they both look like they should be replaced. It's unfortunate we have so much tied up in Felix Hernandez because at this point we don't have much of a choice but to have him at #5.

The Mariners have plenty of "depth," meaning we now have Ariel Miranda, Marco Gonzales, Erasmo Ramirez, Andrew Moore and Felix Hernandez all looking like #5 - AAA pitchers.

At the very least the Mariners need to put up competitive offers to the market's two best pitchers - Arietta and Darvish - or get creative, sign a guy like J.D. Martinez and move one of our starting outfielders in a package for a #2 quality pitcher.

The Mariners are going to need to pour in a lot of money into the #2 and #3 spots to compensate for the fact that we're gonna be stuck with Felix at the back of the rotation.

Marco Gonzales and Erasmo Ramirez are just looking like stupid acquisitions considering the fact that they both would need to be replaced on a team that is looking to realistically have a shot at the playoffs. Their does not seem to be spots for either of them on a legitimate playoff contending team. Let them rot in AAA until Felix or Paxton gets hurt again.

My delusional dream:

1. Paxton
2. Darvish
3. Arietta
4. Miranda
5. Felix

Arietta and Darvish would run the Mariners a total of $50-$60m per year, but if this team really wants to compete it has to spend money because JD doesn't have any fucking prospects to trade.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lance Lynn I really like a lot. Give me Lance Lynn and Yu Darvish and I'm happy. I'm pretty sure that could be done for $40-$45m or so. Probably won't happen, but hey, one can dream, right?
I can't even imagine what it'd take to get Darvish or Lynn when you consider the insane salaries of a SP combined with the amount the M's usually have to overpay to get top FA's to Seattle. That's one of the many reasons why trading for Gray at the deadline would've been nice, since he's under control until 2020.

Yeah, if they can add a couple to get a rotation like
Paxton
Darvish/Tanaka
Felix
Lynn/Arietta/Iwakuma (if healthy)
Miranda

that'd be perfect. If not, time to rebuild.

Last edited:

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't even imagine what it'd take to get Darvish or Lynn when you consider the insane salaries of a SP combined with the amount the M's usually have to overpay to get top FA's to Seattle. That's one of the many reasons why trading for Gray at the deadline would've been nice, since he's under control until 2020.

Paxton
Darvish/Tanaka
Felix
Miranda

I like your thought on Darvish and Arietta (Arrietta may be more likely if Darvish lands in Seattle IMO), but Kuma is done. We shouldn't even sniff that from afar, it's time to move on. To me, if we could land Darvish and Arrietta it'll be Felix in the #4 spot behind those two and Paxton. I still really like Miranda even though he has become a HR batting cage; there's too much on his shoulders this year thanks to JeDi.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Paxton
Darvish/Tanaka
Felix
Miranda

Darvish I think would get a contract around 6 years $25m per year at least. Ceiling is probably $30m per @ 6-7 years. Lynn is less flashy so I don't think he'd exceed $20m per year.

That's why I think it might be a wise idea for the Mariners to sign an outfielder and move one of our younger outfielders like Gamel, Haniger or Heredia in a package for a starting pitcher.

Not a big fan of Tanaka. He has never hit 200 IP in a season due to a number of different injuries and is having a career worst year with a 4.93 ERA. His WHIP is also at a career high. The only two promising signs with Tanaka are that he's having a career high K/9 rate and his velocity across all pitches is actually at a career high. He could be a rebound candidate, but I wouldn't give him too much due to the injury history.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

---------------

Just saying.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like your thought on Darvish and Arietta (Arrietta may be more likely if Darvish lands in Seattle IMO), but Kuma is done. We shouldn't even sniff that from afar, it's time to move on. To me, if we could land Darvish and Arrietta it'll be Felix in the #4 spot behind those two and Paxton. I still really like Miranda even though he has become a HR batting cage; there's too much on his shoulders this year thanks to JeDi.
If Kuma's healthy and throwing well, it just seems like having him at the back end of the rotation for 1 year @ $10M (club option) seems like a good deal. But yeah, if they're willing to spend the money to get two out of Darvish/Tanaka/Lynn/Arietta, Kuma might be gone even if he looks good, since we don't have the Dodgers budget.

Miranda is our average token lefty until there's a better option. :)

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miranda is our average token lefty until there's a better option. :)

Besides Montgomery...oh ya traded for fat DH who can't hit in majors and has to play 1B. I keep forgetting that because it just never made sense so I thought it was just a dream. A bad dream.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Kuma's healthy and throwing well, it just seems like having him at the back end of the rotation for 1 year @ $10M (club option) seems like a good deal.

He is done and has been for 2 years. I would rather bring back Moyer.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is done and has been for 2 years. I would rather bring back Moyer.

I-dont-believe-you.gif

75125973.jpg

Last edited:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides Montgomery...oh ya traded for fat DH who can't hit in majors and has to play 1B. I keep forgetting that because it just never made sense so I thought it was just a dream. A bad dream.

I didn't mind the deal at the time, I hadn't see him but reading the reports there weren't as many questions about him as there was for Montero fielding, which I don't get. To me, that it a hindsight trade. Looking back, ya it made zero sense but at the time we dealt a dude who the M's couldn't figure out if he was a starter or a bullpen arm for a guy who could take it and plays a position where the weak farm system was really weak at.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shit on this trade? They paid $1.00 for this trade according to Espn/TMZ

Ya, don't think anyone could shit on the deal if it was for a dollar. It is just a demoralizing deal as a fan (At least for me) you hear they make a deal and kind of get excited but then you realize it is for a guy who will never make even a slightly difference to big club.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, don't think anyone could shit on the deal if it was for a dollar. It is just a demoralizing deal as a fan (At least for me) you hear they make a deal and kind of get excited but then you realize it is for a guy who will never make even a slightly difference to big club.

I understand that feeling a lot, but fans also should know that there isn't anything left in the cupboard for JD to use to pull off the ultimate trade this year. There is youth down in the lower classes, but he's not going to use them since "their his picks".

And I don't think there is anyone on the big roster he can afford to move now, everyone has a role, every has a purpose, and they are clicking, hitting wise now. I don't think he will mess with that.

I know they have the younger outfielders up now and they could be used, ( and I understand capitalize on their rising stock now) but at the same time it's not like this team is going to win the whole thing this year, why give away a piece of an outfield that could be your starting outfield for the next 5 years now? This team has lacked quality outfielders for a long time now, and honestly I don't trust them drafting the future outfield since they haven't done well at all doing that since Safeco opened...

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't mind the deal at the time, I hadn't see him but reading the reports there weren't as many questions about him as there was for Montero fielding, which I don't get. To me, that it a hindsight trade. Looking back, ya it made zero sense but at the time we dealt a dude who the M's couldn't figure out if he was a starter or a bullpen arm for a guy who could take it and plays a position where the weak farm system was really weak at.

You never have too much pitching and we weren't exactly the Dodgers in that respect where we couldn't find a spot for him. We have tried to replace him 5 times over since last year. Mistake all the way in my eyes.

Problem is he didn't/doesn't play a position. It is back to sticking anyone there just to plug him in. Valencia has shown that playing 1B does take skill and he has done a great job on defense.

That deal was more of a question mark at the time than the Montero deal who was highly ranked. He just didn't have heart apparently.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You never have too much pitching and we weren't exactly the Dodgers in that respect where we couldn't find a spot for him. We have tried to replace him 5 times over since last year. Mistake all the way in my eyes.

Problem is he didn't/doesn't play a position. It is back to sticking anyone there just to plug him in. Valencia has shown that playing 1B does take skill and he has done a great job on defense.

That deal was more of a question mark at the time than the Montero deal who was highly ranked. He just didn't have heart apparently.

I'm not saying there wasn't room or it was a good deal. Just Jerry and Servais didn't seem to know what to do with him besides jerking him around from the rotation to the pen.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that feeling a lot, but fans also should know that there isn't anything left in the cupboard for JD to use to pull off the ultimate trade this year. There is youth down in the lower classes, but he's not going to use them since "their his picks".

And I don't think there is anyone on the big roster he can afford to move now, everyone has a role, every has a purpose, and they are clicking, hitting wise now. I don't think he will mess with that.

I know they have the younger outfielders up now and they could be used, ( and I understand capitalize on their rising stock now) but at the same time it's not like this team is going to win the whole thing this year, why give away a piece of an outfield that could be your starting outfield for the next 5 years now? This team has lacked quality outfielders for a long time now, and honestly I don't trust them drafting the future outfield since they haven't done well at all doing that since Safeco opened...

Not to rehash the O'Neill deal but thats why that trade was moronic. They've left themselves literally no prospects to deal for a pitcher for the next few years. And have essentially left themselves looking to get guys like Verlander where they are going to give up scrub prospects but eating huge contracts.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now is the time to push hard on getting Verlander by simply buying his contract. Pay it all for all I care. We desperately need SP and he is still very good. A Paxton Verlander 1-2 drastically changes how this rotation looks immediately and gives us a great shot at holding the wild card spot and going into that 1 game with an ace while keeping another for game 1 of the alcs if it happens.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now is the time to push hard on getting Verlander by simply buying his contract. Pay it all for all I care. We desperately need SP and he is still very good. A Paxton Verlander 1-2 drastically changes how this rotation looks immediately and gives us a great shot at holding the wild card spot and going into that 1 game with an ace while keeping another for game 1 of the alcs if it happens.

I totally agree they should just do it. At a minimum it shows fans that they care about winning. Ya, it will suck eating the contract but they will get an enormous extra revenue from fans who will show up this year and buy ticket packages for next year. Most likely advertisers will be more likely to spend more on them as the anticipation for next year regardless of how this year ends will be high if they give a good willed try unlike the Lincoln led group.